Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mountain's Fantasy Cab  (Read 28671 times)

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
Mountain's Fantasy Cab
« on: March 16, 2008, 11:14:58 pm »
Hey all! Time to start documenting my next cabinet. This one will be a scratch build. My first cabinet was an old kangaroo that I chopped and converted. In the back of my mind I couldn't help but think that I should have scratch built it. I spent so much time, stripping the paint, cleaning the inside, stripping the sides, sanding the sides, calculating where I should cut, etc. I think that a scrach built machine will be a lot of fun and a little more streamlined.

This new cabinet came about when my brother asked me to build him one after seeing mine for the first time. A few weeks ago, just as I was beginning the planning stages of "my brothers" cabinet, I found a WG D9200 locally in the BST for a great price. From the beginning of my last project, I had a suspicion that the 21" computer monitor wasn't going to cut it for me. I was right, it wasn't big enough and the games just didn't look the same as I remembered. So, after a lot of thought I decided to give him my first build and create another. He could care less about the authenticity of the monitor and needs the machine quicker than I can produce it.

This time the machine will actually have a name!  :applaud:

I decided to name it Fantasy. I will get into how that came about later I suppose.

Time for some pictures. Last weekend I purchase the MDF and created a template out of 1/2" material. After it was all smoothed out I traced it onto the 3/4" material.

I did a rough cut around the mark and screwed the template to the 3/4" material.

After using the router with my flush cutting bit.

All done with the slats installed.

Another shot showing the cardboard template I made of my monitor.

On my last machine the slats behind the marquee created a shadow on the marquee and drove me nuts everytime I looked at it.

I beveled them to solve that problem.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:33:51 am by mountain »

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
Re: Mountain's Fantasy Cab
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:36:26 pm »
Sweet!  I can't wait to see how this develops! :cheers:

Thy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2012, 03:18:39 am
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 02:43:47 am »
After how impressive your last one was I'm looking forward to seeing how you go on this one.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:14:46 am »
Quality of craftsmanship is excellent. Looking forward to seeing some more  :)

sparcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2011, 04:03:01 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 07:21:08 am »
After using the router with my flush cutting bit.

Nothing quite like the look of a fresh router cut! 

Looks good.  I will definitely be tagging along for the ride on this build.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2024, 09:39:33 am
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 09:39:48 am »
Looking good mountain!   I can't wait to see what you come up with for this one.  :cheers:

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 03:20:38 pm »
So the master craftsman is at it again.  Don't for get to take plenty of :pics

TTFN
Kaytrim

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 07:06:36 pm »
Hmm, well lets hope my Sophomore attempt can size up. I really wasn't planning on anything crazy. I just want this machine to be very clean looking with a few head turning features. I have a few ideas that I want to try. I have been working on the artwork for it with a little success. I am having a hard time knowing when to stop tweaking it. I guess I am afraid of commitment.  :-\

To me, the best part of the machine will be the 27" arcade monitor sitting behind the smoked glass, on the same plane as the upward angle above the control panel. The cabinet is going to be 27" wide and 30" deep at the base.

Don't worry, many pictures will follow.

BORIStheBLADE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2012, 10:53:59 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 07:45:04 pm »
I can't wait to see this one. :cheers:

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 10:55:47 pm »
another "cant miss" build  :applaud:

frytex

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2010, 10:50:55 am
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 01:43:29 am »
I am trying to build one for myself keep up the great notes.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 11:31:33 pm »
I found some time to complete the speaker panel above the monitor. I forgot to take a picture of the speakers. I am using a set of homemade speakers I made several years ago. I found an old set of cast aluminum enclosures on ebay a long time ago for next to nothing and built a crossover for some infinity 4" midranges and a set of Cliff Designs 1" soft dome tweeters. I will post pictures of them later as well as specifics on the rest of audio components.

I used a router with guides to cut out the openings.

I laminated the piece and trimmed it. Then I flipped it over and used my router to take some material out, leaving room for the speaker grill. I left the laminate untouched.

Here are the grilles cut from a sheet I found at McMaster-Carr. I painted them black and masked the bottom for the next step.

Here are the grilles in place waiting to be attached.

I mixed up some Bondo and placed it in a baggie. I cut a hole in the corner of the bag to place the Bondo excactly where I wanted it. Using my finger, I pressed the Bondo into the corner. Before the Bondo began to dry, I removed the masking tape.

Here is a shot of the completed panel.

A little more detail.

Lutus

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2012, 10:58:10 am
  • "I love my Power Glove. It's so BAD!"
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 11:34:07 pm »
looks factory to me     :notworthy:
-----------------------------
www.justin.tv/lutus8
www.encoreinstruction.com <-- for my fellow musicians

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 10:08:17 am »
damn nice man!!! I cant wait to watch this project progress!!

Neil

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 12:39:18 pm »
Nice work truly an inspiration :cheers:
Love all the little details you include like the bondo in the baggie. I love those simple but clever solutions that you come up with.
Thanks for sharing!
Can't wait to see this all the way through!

golfboyusa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2018, 12:44:25 pm
  • Kinda tired....think I'll go home now.....
    • Ted's Arcade
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 10:44:08 pm »
I feel like I'm back in school, looking over your shoulder and copying exam answers. I'm stealing that speaker grill idea. I wish I thought of it 1st. Great work!

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 10:12:09 pm »
Thanks guys!

I made some progress this weekend. The wife and kids were gone all day Saturday and half of today. I get so much more done when there are no distractions!

The speaker system I decided to use is the Altec Lansing FX4021.

Here is the control unit that comes with the system.

I plan on modding this so that it is integrated into the admin panel. It has green LEDs in those clear plastic pieces. They follow level of volume as well as the amount of treble and bass when selected. I obviously will be replacing the green LEDs with blue ones. I have big plans for this baby, I sure hope it works.

The sub in this system is an isobaric design. There are actually two 5 1/4" speakers used for the sub they are mounted face to face and the top speaker is wired out of phase so that they both move together in the same direction.

I want to mount the sub out of the way and firing down through the bottom of the cab. It just barely fits between where the coin door box and left side of the cabinet.

To mount it correctly I had to completely dismantle the sub.

I took the face plate and traced it onto the bottom panel of the cabinet.

I cut out around where the speaker would be placed and beveled it 45 degrees...just because.

After making some adjustments, I reassembled the sub and mounted it to the bottom plate.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 10:16:03 pm »
I was also able to build the base for the cabinet this weekend too. I am using four 1/2" threaded leg levelers in the corners.

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 12:35:21 am »
Man, that is one clean build.  :applaud:  These are the kind of results you see when woodworkers join the mix.  Suddenly I feel like I may as well be using and axe and a chisel to build my cab.

That grill installation looks seriously nice.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 12:58:40 am »
Great work!
Very professional!

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 10:44:50 am »
Mountain, it looks fantastic!  I would like to note that I am beginning my trip to NY to pick up the CNC machine, so give me a call if you have any ideas!   :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2024, 09:39:33 am
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 11:54:40 am »
I love this thing already.   :cheers:

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 12:36:22 pm »
Awesome dude, just awesome :)

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 08:37:01 pm »
Mountain, it looks fantastic!  I would like to note that I am beginning my trip to NY to pick up the CNC machine, so give me a call if you have any ideas!   :cheers:

I am rubbing my hands in anticipation!  :cheers: Man, if I would have only waited a few more weeks to get started. The possibilities are endless with a CNC machine. With a little programming, cutting out the joystick and trackball recesses will be spot on. I had some ideas for the sides that could have used it too.

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 05:33:23 pm »
You do some clean work there.  It is going to sound great.... heck I bet you could do some serious Karaoke on it too!

D-
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 11:01:30 pm »
Well, I am finally able to give an update on the progress of this project. I have been traveling a lot for work the last few weeks. Tonight I was able to finish up some sanding and other minor work. I got the cabinet off of the sawhorses to stand it vertical for the first time since I assembled it. I was anxious to do this considering the time I spent measuring the height and width of the cab and the orientation of the monitor. Everything turned out the way I wanted...thank god!

Here are some pics

Here are two pictures to show the angle of the monitor. I decided on this angle because I think the laid back approach is more comfortable. I didn't want to go too far because the kids might have a hard time viewing it.

I made the monitor bracket out of pine. They are strengthened with vertical and horizontal pieces as well as internal blocks on the side and in the center.

Here is a shot of the monitor from the back.

I made the cabinet depth as short as possible, thanks to the monitor template I made. With the back panel installed, there is about 5/8" distance between the rear bracket of the monitor and the back panel.

The slat behind the speaker grill is where the front smoked Plexiglas bezel will rest.

Here are the custom made speakers I mentioned earlier.

A shot of the base mounted to the cabinet.

I hope to get enough done this weekend to post another update.

:cheers:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 11:03:05 pm by mountain »

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 10:46:30 pm »
Here some pictures of what little progress I made this weekend. I finished sanding screw heads that I filled in with Bondo in the back and top. Next, I decided to tackle the marquee light. I am using a GGG NovaMatrix LED light. After deciding on the layout of the cabinet, I realized that the light was going to have to be very close to the marquee. Because I want the front monitor glass to be flush with the front edge of the cab, the speakers are forced forward. On top of that, the speakers are relatively big. The NovaMatrix LED light will be sitting about 8 inched from the marquee, so I was afraid that there would be a hot spot in the middle.

To help prevent this, I pieced together an enclosure with PVC pipe and an old diffuser from an overhead office fixture. The goal is to disperse the light more evenly. The diffuser has mirrored 45 degree angles in it that force the light to the left and to the right.

I was also able to get the inside edges primed and painted. I want to laminate the whole thing next weekend so I can get it in the house to begin wiring the computer up.

I need to get the artwork over to Scott at mamemarquees. The control panel art is almost done but I'm a little burnt out on Photoshop at the moment. That learning curve is a ---smurfette---! Can someone give me an idea what the turnaround time is at mamemarquees?

whoozwah

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2009, 02:31:45 am
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 11:13:14 pm »
turn time from my experience is around a week plus shipping.

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 11:29:42 pm »
To help prevent this, I pieced together an enclosure with PVC pipe and an old diffuser from an overhead office fixture. The goal is to disperse the light more evenly. The diffuser has mirrored 45 degree angles in it that force the light to the left and to the right.

Awesome Idea with the NovaMatrix light!  When I finally got mine installed, I thought that the cool color of the LEDs wasn't quite the glow I had remembered from way back when.  For light dispersion, I spray painted the inside of the marquee box with reflective, metallic silver paint.  Doing it over, I might have tried a gold metallic instead, or messed around with a faint yellow film of some sort.  I think also, that I might have used two lights instead of just one.  Great product, just my opinions on final product.  I'm anxious to see how the diffusion tube works for you!  Great stuff.  You make it appear effortless.

-csa

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 10:53:25 pm »
I was able to mount the light fixture and test it tonight. I had an old marquee from my first project to test to see how uniform the lighting would be. Below is a good shot of what it looks like lit up. The picture is sort of deceiving because the background image is bright in the center and fades from left to right. Also, the MAME logo has ALOT of light shading behind it as well. It gives the appearance that there is more light in the center. However, there are two strips of blue painters tape that I put on the sides to fill the gap because the marquee was not wide enough for the new cab. Notice how they glow really well. I am confident that final marquee will be evenly lit.

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 05:47:56 am »
Clever trick with the led strip. Have you tried a before and after picture to check the effectiveness of the reflector and diffuser?
This signature is intentionally left blank

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 09:19:48 am »
Clever trick with the led strip. Have you tried a before and after picture to check the effectiveness of the reflector and diffuser?

Good idea. I will have to wait until the new marquee shows up because I trashed the one in the picture.

golfboyusa

• Offline Offline
    • Ted's Arcade
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 11:56:23 pm »
Mountain, I'm going to router a speaker grill similar to yours tomorrow. Can you give me an idea what you used for a guide to cut those rectangular holes? Thanks!

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 12:14:31 am »
I use 3/4" x 1" pine. You will need to measure the distance from the edge of your router base to the edge of the cutting blade. I always do a test run before I committ to cutting the piece.

Draw it all out before hand. I like to used brad nails to secure the wood guides, making sure they are short enough to pull out easily. The tiny holes patch easily enough, so it works for me.

Good luck  :cheers:

golfboyusa

• Offline Offline
    • Ted's Arcade
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 05:49:44 pm »
That's how I figured you did it. I'll let you know how it turns out.....

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2008, 01:36:04 pm »
Bloody hell! Slow down boyo, you will have finished before your package gets there!  ;)

Think you could have built ten in the time taken to build mine!  ;D

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2008, 07:09:45 pm »
I was able to get the cabinet laminated this weekend. I like the universal appeal of black on a cabinet and you just can't beat the durability and appearance on laminate. Below are some shots of the process that may help those who want to laminate their cabs but were a little intimidated by it. It is very easy as long as you plan ahead and follow the directions.

Here are the two surfaces with the glue already applied. Make sure you use a tack cloth to get all of the dust off.

I taped the laminate piece to a large sheet of cardboard to keep it from sliding around while rolling the glue on.

Once the two surfaces are ready (barely tacky, almost dry feeling), I placed some 1/4" dowels on the cab side to allow me to position the precut piece of laminate.

Pull the dowels out from the center and press the laminate to the cab so it doesn't move and use a j-roller to apply pressure, forcing the two glued surfaces to bond.

All done, now I just need to decide on the T-molding!

I also got my coin door panel cut and laminated this weekend. It won't be too long and I will be moving this baby into the house to begin wiring it.

:cheers:

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2008, 09:56:46 pm »
I just want to say it again, Thanks for the great documentation, and fantastic work really an inspiration! :cheers:

by the way that is the cleanest workshop I've ever seen, so jealous, mine looks like a tornado hit when I'm working in there

You Should Have A Show "This Old Cab" or "The MAMEY Workshop"

I'd watch!!!

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 06:57:42 am »
I just want to say it again, Thanks for the great documentation, and fantastic work really an inspiration! :cheers:

by the way that is the cleanest workshop I've ever seen, so jealous, mine looks like a tornado hit when I'm working in there

You Should Have A Show "This Old Cab" or "The MAMEY Workshop"

I'd watch!!!

Bender, don't be fooled by the white cabinets and walls, my garage is always a mess. By the end of this build, every tool I own will be out of its place and it will take a week to get it back in order  :D

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 09:04:17 am »
very clean man!! this thing is beautiful!! I cannot wait to get back in the garage and start working myself!!

keep them pic's comming!

Neil