Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Junior cabs  (Read 1859 times)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Junior cabs
« on: March 07, 2008, 05:44:23 pm »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

solderguy1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:29:27 am
Re: Junior cabs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:26:17 pm »
Actually those are full size cabs with giant mutant kids standing in the photo to fool you.

TelcoLou

• Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2010, 01:28:19 am
  • Playing video games since 1977
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:05:19 pm »
That kid in the second picture looks like he's flashing a gang sign.  ;)
So a leper walks into a bar and as he gets his beer, a finger falls off. The bartender who is serving him turns and pukes all over the place. The leper, feeling bad, says, "Was it my finger falling off?" The bartender turns to him and says, "No, it's the guy dipping chips into your back."

THE POKER BRAT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 05:50:58 am
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 01:47:15 pm »
 :o heres mine,..its a jakks hack,..and plays great! click on thumb to see it in a BIGGER picture!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:54:26 pm by THE POKER BRAT »
WANT LIST: , asteroids mini, crazy climber mini, tron mini, goldball PINBALL,.

ninjagun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2013, 06:41:08 am
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 05:08:07 am »
Hey, I just had an idea! There may be a niche out there for marketing/selling these games to midgets! I mean how many midgets, for lack of a more politically correct word, wished they could play full-size arcade games only to realize they don't have the height to enjoy playing the game? There must be a market for the little guys, don'tcha think? Also, I'd like to see a "junior" cab version of Discs of Tron and Punch-Out!. And also a Daytona cockpit cab.

One time I saw a small guy put a quarter in an arcade machine and immediately say "Damn! I forgot I can't see the playfield!". Then he ran away cursing the Baby Pac-Man machine.   :cry::dunno

padstack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 12:54:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 07:01:16 pm »
while I'm not sure of the midget market, this brings up a question...  I know that ROM and MAME distribution are illegal, but would it be illegal to make and resell machines with a Jakks hack?  I mean, we might be able to tell the difference, but how many "average" people could?  I know I certainly couldn't make a profit out of it, but it might be worth a shot once.  I'll do anything one time...  LOL!

I don't think this would be illegal, but curious about the forum's thoughts.

**edit** Forgot about monitor orientation.  That could be a killer.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 07:02:57 pm by padstack »

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 04:04:17 am »
Actually Jakk's hacks are a rather common infestation in the gullible home buyer market.

Also, note the bat-handle stick on that yellow Multi-Pac, so unfortunate to go to all that trouble and top it off with what is almost certainly either an 8-way or an 8-way with the 4-way actuator (works fine for puzzle games, is still worthless for Pac-Man).

while I'm not sure of the midget market, this brings up a question...  I know that ROM and MAME distribution are illegal, but would it be illegal to make and resell machines with a Jakks hack?  I mean, we might be able to tell the difference, but how many "average" people could?  I know I certainly couldn't make a profit out of it, but it might be worth a shot once.  I'll do anything one time...  LOL!

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

bishmasterb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2014, 09:27:47 pm
  • Pressing the limits of my wife's patience...
    • Bishopzone
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 08:38:16 am »

It would be a much more difficult legal argument to make I think, that by using the Jakks circuit boards for resale in a cabinet, you had somehow violated IP law. I'm not saying that someone couldn't make that claim, they obviously could.

I've had a lot of "normal" people play my Jakks cab, and no one has ever mentioned the gameplay being compromised because it isn't exactly identical to PacMan. It's beyond "close enough" for the average person, even those of us old enough to know the difference. For me, the benefits of the Jakks board (instant on, zero chance of corruption, drop dead simple operation, etc.) outweigh the disadvantages.
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." -Jonathan Swift

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 01:56:31 am »
It depends on what you're satisfied with. I'm not satisfied with console ports, LCD monitors, or MAME on a cell phone. But I don't have to go as far as original hardware.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.