Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Operation Wolf problem  (Read 5689 times)

padstack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 12:54:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Operation Wolf problem
« on: February 28, 2008, 11:58:20 pm »
The shots aren't registering from the gun.  I've tried cleaning the monitor and mirror, but can't find the contrast.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Also, I just noticed that the part that shows how many clips you have left isn't showing until you take damage and the screen flashes.

I've got some wiring issues to fix.  Once you start a game, sometimes when you shoot a grenade or pull the trigger, the game will reset.  I plan to take the gun assembly off this weekend and clean the connections as well as check the continuity of the wiring and potentially replace a few wires.

Anyone have advice from similar situations?

Thanks!

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
Re: Operation Wolf problem
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:34:55 am »
I've got some wiring issues to fix.  Once you start a game, sometimes when you shoot a grenade or pull the trigger, the game will reset.  I plan to take the gun assembly off this weekend and clean the connections as well as check the continuity of the wiring and potentially replace a few wires.

Yes.... Do exactly what you're planning to do this weekend. That's where your fault is.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

padstack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 09:51:43 am »
Checked all the wiring.  Every wire in the cab is good.  Cleaned all the contacts, the gun now recoils flawlessly and doesn't cause a machine lock up.  Now though, the sound went out and the shots still don't register.  I tried turning the contrast all the way up and all it did was distort the picture on the screen (caused a LOT of bleeding between graphics).  Not sure what happened to the sound.  I tried reseating the wiring harness a couple times and that didn't work either.  Maybe I fried the board w/ ESD or something, but I don't think so.  I'll try playing with some of the monitor color controls and such and post back.

Any other words of advice?

padstack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:11:38 pm »
Ok...  I got shots to register in the middle of the screen by cranking the contrast and brightness all the way up, BUT it won't register on the sides, top, or bottom (probably a 6"x8" window in the middle that registers.

Brightness and contrast are so high that it looks pretty nasty now.  Would a cap kit fix this, or am I screwed short of a new monitor?

The good thing, I guess, is that the gun is in good shape.  Apparently if it's broke, you might as well scrap it with the cost of the sensor board.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:45:19 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 01:18:08 pm »
i could be wrong but i don't think op wolf was a sensor game,i am pretty sure it is like gunblade and uses potentiometers for the x and y axis
first go into test and check the switch inputs to make sure the trigger is registering every time then there should be an input test that shows the gun movement
like i said its a long time since i worked on one so i could be wrong

padstack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 03:24:19 pm »
While there is debate on whether or not multiple versions of op wolf are available, this one is definitely a light gun version.  I've had the entire thing apart.  It partially works, but just in the smaller window in the center.  I'm thinking I'm stuck looking for a new monitor unless someone thinks a cap kit will fix it.

arcadefever

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 02:20:15 am »
i could be wrong but i don't think op wolf was a sensor game,i am pretty sure it is like gunblade and uses potentiometers for the x and y axis
first go into test and check the switch inputs to make sure the trigger is registering every time then there should be an input test that shows the gun movement
like i said its a long time since i worked on one so i could be wrong

My OP as an optical board. (like most Op in the US)
I had some trouble with my cab, i just take the gun apart, and clean the lens....
work like a charm now...

Virgil Tracy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2008, 04:53:20 am
    • www.virgil.tk
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 03:56:57 am »
Sorry to hijack, but does any one know where I can get lens for the Gun, my op wolf has no lens.

padstack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 08:24:47 am »
No clue on replacement lens.  Maybe hack another light gun????  Beats me.

I'm going to try the cap kit and see if it fixes the issue since I think it's with the monitor.

arcadefever

• Offline Offline
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 12:01:49 pm »
I have 2 lens spare just in case (but i keep them  ;))

It is very often to found the OP gun on ebay, you can always grab one for spare part...

padstack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 10:28:48 pm »
OK....  Pinballjim hooked me up and pointed out that I was adjusting the contrast on the chasis, not the flyback.  I can get it to work fully, but is a little washed out for my taste.  Will a cap kit fix this?

arcadefever

• Offline Offline
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 12:03:41 pm »
OK....  Pinballjim hooked me up and pointed out that I was adjusting the contrast on the chasis, not the flyback.  I can get it to work fully, but is a little washed out for my taste.  Will a cap kit fix this?

Yes  :)

rbeaton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2010, 08:45:37 am
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 08:58:26 pm »

I'm having the same problem... maybe a stupid question, but where's the contrast control for the flyback?  I think I only adjusted the one on the chassis.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Did anyone out there notice if there were washers or o-rings of some sort on either side of the gun's lens?  The gun assembly diagrams in the manual show something like that, but my gun only has a lens floating around in there.  I can hear the lens clink when I move the gun, and I'm wondering if that's part of the problem.  Anyone know?

padstack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 11:15:58 am »
definitely o-rings in there.  Get that fixed first.  The flyback has the adjustments on it, not the chasis.