Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Big Red" Neo-Geo 2 Slot Monitor Issues  (Read 3004 times)

billd420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2015, 04:56:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
"Big Red" Neo-Geo 2 Slot Monitor Issues
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:42:41 am »
Hello everyone. I recently acquired a dedicated "Big Red" 2slot Neo-Geo this past weekend. The monitor is having a few problems, which I'm sure are all fixable. I haven't ID'd the monitor yet (I'm pulling it today), however from the repair logs and blogs that I've read, it is more than likely a Kortex 25".

So here's the first problem: the screen goes from blurry to sharp, then back to blurry.... over and over again. The issue happens all the time, every time. My gut tells me that the flyback is dying, that sound about right? If that is acurate, where can I find a compatible flyback for a kortex monitor?

Second issue: The colors are really really dark, and bleed heavy when the contrast or black level are adjusted. I'm 99% sure this is an issue a cap kit and reflow will resolve, however I could be mistaken. Thoughts?

Third issue: Across the top inch or so of the screen, there are horizontal bands going through it. Not positive on this one, however I'm assuming the cap kit and reflow will help. I could be completely off on this issue... any ideas?

Final issue: The width is too wide, and there is no adjustment on the remote board. I'm assuming that the horizontal width coil is either mis-calibrated, or is faulty. I haven't checked the chassis yet to see if there's a control for it, but I'm leaning towards the width coil.

Please help guys!
Thanks,
Bill

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: "Big Red" Neo-Geo 2 Slot Monitor Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 11:26:35 am »
Dedicated Neo Geos were in high demand and production runs were huge. Thus dedicated Neo Geo cabinets could have one of a dozen different makes/models of monitor in it. So take that monitor out and confirm exactly what's in there before assuming a certain make/model is there. I have never seen a Kortek monitor in one.

billd420

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 01:31:22 pm »
I just ID'd the chassis... its a Wells-Gardner 25k7191. I'm assuming that it takes K7000 parts that bob roberts offers... correct me if I'm wrong.

Right now unfortunately, new parts are the least of my worries. I opened the cabinet up to see the neck card rotated about 15 degrees counterclockwise. I slid the connector off of the pins to realize the previous owner jammed it back on, breaking the plastic that encases the end of the tube and the pins. The glass rod at the very end of the tube is exposed, and looks as if a piece broke off. I'm yet to hook it all back up because I dont' have tools to discharge it on location.

So now I'm looking at a ton of parts for the chassis and a new tube... I'm almost considering getting an entirely new monitor at this point.

-Bill

Arm123

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 10:14:23 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:22:22 pm »
Holly crap what a coincidence !

I was just about to ask a question of this nature...

I have a WG with the end of the tube exposed because of a broken plastic cap.  Will be interested to hear the answer.

billd420

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:30:42 pm »
I'm going to see if I can salvage it (doubtful) tomorrow.

We've already ordered a brand new 24.8" WG so all my issues should be solved. I'm probably going to repair the chassis anyways and keep it as a spare. If the tube is done, Im' giong to just scrap it.

@Arm123- does the end of the exposed glass look almost as if a piece broke off? I can't tell if its broken, I didn't see any glass fall out when I pulled the neck card. Aside from some non-tube related issues, the monitor was working perfectly until I noticed the broken neck card CRT connector.

-B
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 03:40:39 pm by billd420 »

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:44:40 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:25:17 pm »
glue it back on :D,if the tube has gone to air then you will know about it when you fire it up

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 04:37:52 pm »
All the plastic on the end does is act as a guide to center the neckboard back on the tube.  If you're  C A R E F U L  you can bend the pins back, and slide the neckboard into proper position.

Arm123

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 10:14:23 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 06:02:19 pm »
@Arm123- does the end of the exposed glass look almost as if a piece broke off? I can't tell if its broken, I didn't see any glass fall out when I pulled the neck card. Aside from some non-tube related issues, the monitor was working perfectly until I noticed the broken neck card CRT connector.

-B

yup..  it does indeed look like that.  However, it doesn’t look as if the tube enclosure is exposed by any cracks...  Perhaps this is just the way it looks when the manufacturer 'split it off the mold' ?