Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: a couple of advices needed  (Read 1949 times)

Bluedeath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 11:20:09 am
a couple of advices needed
« on: February 25, 2008, 04:37:11 am »
Hi guys finally one of my drreams has been realized.
A friend of mine had to get rid of an old cab and gave it to me for free, I'm planning to fit in a new control panel (maybe with some kind of quick swap possibility to change to trackball and analofg or tron panels etc.). My problem is the monitor is out of sync randomly do you think that a TV tech can fix it ( I don't have the skills to do it by myself) od should i remove it and put in a PC display  (I've got a 19" and  a 21" spare)  and start mame with the -scanline option?

If i use a PC monitor is better to buld a platform to keep it with the screen more vertical to play gun games?
Right now the display is more or less 30° ""sunk" (TRON like) into the cab.

Of course if the monitor can be fixed i'll use the jpac to protect it and powerstrip to set the video card to 15Khz do you think that will work with a radeon XT1600?

Thanks in advance to all.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 04:41:59 am by Bluedeath »
I give up  fighting keyboard dislexia, I lost.

waveryder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2011, 04:26:17 am
  • I Troop, therefore I am
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Re: a couple of advices needed
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 04:49:51 am »
Cant comment on all of that, however from experience I can safetly say dont screw around when it comes to arcade monitors. Use a Jpac and arcade vga card. Messing about with software solutions when you dont know what you are doing will cost you in the long run. I have a vga arcade monitor in my cab and the cab before and the quality is great. Not as true as an arcade monitor though. Just dont stick a pc monitor in there, they look like crap mounted in a cab wrong sizes shape etc; My £0.02
When pixelated clipart just wont do, just call for Betty

severdhed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:33:52 am »
i installed a 19" LCD pc monitor in my cabinet and I couldn't be happier with it.  Yeah, it may not be arcade perfect, but not a single person who has played it has ever mentioned anything negative about the monitor.  being so thin, it opened up a lot of options for mounting that i wouldn't have had with a crt monitor.  plus, it seems to be easier on my eyes after extended gaming sessions.

Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

TelcoLou

• Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2010, 01:28:19 am
  • Playing video games since 1977
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 03:54:23 pm »
My input:

I used a 19" CRT monitor for a few reasons:

• Ease of install; just plug in the PC, and it works.
• The slight curve of the tube more closely resembles an actual arcade monitor.
• More flexible viewing options if I decide to run other emus/games from the PC.
So a leper walks into a bar and as he gets his beer, a finger falls off. The bartender who is serving him turns and pukes all over the place. The leper, feeling bad, says, "Was it my finger falling off?" The bartender turns to him and says, "No, it's the guy dipping chips into your back."