Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Joysticks  (Read 13090 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Best Joysticks
« on: February 03, 2008, 10:54:30 am »
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum... However since it seems many of you have tried many different kind of joysticks I wanted to know if you have a top ten list of joysticks... See I have a four player mame cab, I used two X-arcade joysticks and two joysticks that I received from a friend... not sure what kind they are... Im not a real fan of either. So I am wondering if you guys know of a very good stick that is very firm and feels good, for games like Street Fighter 2

I also want a dedicated 4-way joystick for games like pac-man.  Which are the best dedicated 4-ways I can buy? Any help would be wonderful. Besides I think it would be a great idea to comprise a list of the top joysticks.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

mybrainhurtz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2023, 12:49:29 pm
    • craftygeek
Re: Best Joysticks
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 02:58:42 pm »
I don't have a top ten list, but I just ordered the controls for my panel and decided on the happ competition joys. I have hooked them up on a test panel to try them out, and they feel great! Stay away from the happ ultimates... I have heard they are hardly "ultimate"

If you are looking for a good all-around solution, go for the ultimarc 360s. They are software programmable to switch between 4 and 8 way, depending on the game that you play if you want to set it up that way. I have heard that some think they are alright for fighters, others don't like them... you would have to try one and see how it feels to you.

check here for reviews of various arcade controls and stuff:
http://www.retroblast.com/RetroBlast/

Good luck with your decision!
-Chad

Sir Auros

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2012, 12:13:00 pm
    • The Transformers Archive
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:59:17 pm »
When I got my joysticks, I was going by the book instead of asking around on the boards, and I ended up ordering the Ultimates thinking they were just what Happ was calling the Supers these days. I'm considering upgrading my P1 and P2 joys to the competitions.

jwmii2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2009, 01:17:36 am
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 01:21:44 am »
It all depends which style you like. If you like american style joysticks and concave buttons, happs is about your only choice. If you like japanese convex style buttons then sanwa is about the top of the line.

gothroughthegate

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2020, 02:44:36 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 08:24:09 pm »
I got Mag Stik Plus sticks from ultimarc.  I like them because I can switch between 4 and 8 way with a pull and a twist  ;D .  I change both of them to ball tops instead of what they had originally.

paulscade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2022, 09:40:35 pm
    • My Arcade Project - Blastoff!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 09:22:13 am »
Everyone's going to have a different opinion on sticks (are there more than 10?  :) ).
It's too bad that you can't go down to your local electronics superstore and try out all the different sticks before you choose/buy.  Even if you find someone that's tried them all, you're still at the mercy of their opinion when asking for a ranking.

Here's my .02 on the MagStik+   ;D

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=82241.msg903356#msg903356
... Why is it that you always find it in the last place that you look? ...

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:35:02 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:50:46 am »
If you like japanese convex style buttons then sanwa is about the top of the line.

Seimitsu makes a good Japanese joystick as well.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 07:26:13 pm »
Everyone's going to have a different opinion on sticks (are there more than 10?  :) ).

Yes, but apparently the main factor in this is what they first experienced. I can't think of a single original control that I was satisfied with. Wait - Star Wars.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

macpdaddy

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 12:42:21 pm »
I'm new to building panels but was an 80's teenager, so I figure I can throw some advice in.
I think any joystick selection will be very dependant on the application or game you want to control.
That being said, I have a 60in1 board running older classics that I just recently built a panel for.  I started with a "recommended" 4-way red-ball joystick and was quickly disappointed with the stiff feel.  I had heard good things about the Mag Stick series from Ultimarc and liked the 4 to 8 way changing ability (Using only a pull and twist on the handle of the joystick!!).  So a few days later, a red-ball version arrived and was installed with great satisfaction afterwards.  I will say that I would not use this joystick on my Mortal Kombat game! It has just too short of a movement (but works perfect for the classics!).

I recommend the Mag Stick Plus  :applaud: with a few Comments:
The mounting plate is narrower than the "almost square" joystick variety, I actually wrote Ultimarc about the issue and I think they may look into either an optional mounting plate or changing it.  For my metal panel, the plate fit between the screws with just a touch of grinding on the edge of the mounting plate.
The 4 way mode of the Mag stick is a true mechanical 4-way, meaning that the joystick has the diamond shape limiter in place in this mode.  You never realize how much this makes a difference until you use it in a game like Pac-Man!!  Don't settle for a joystick that moves full circle if you want the best 4 way game experience.

I hope this helps with a little info, I think that joystick selection is based so much on the buyer/users tastes to say that one is better or worse.  But I do think the Mag Stick is worth a consideration for a well built, switcheable joystick.  We just need a US distributer to cut shipping costs!!