Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is there a way to legally validate my copy of XP?  (Read 1056 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
Is there a way to legally validate my copy of XP?
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:13:03 am »
Here's my situation.  My laptop was dropped and broke - I had to send it in to Dell to replace the harddrive and monitor.  They shipped back the computer with a completely blank HDD so I had to reinstall everything.  I couldn't find my original XP discs that came with the computer so one of my friends said I could use his.  He took the computer home and came back the next weekend with it up and running.... the only problem is that he put an "unverified copy" on there (idiot).  I have the service tag and everything on the bottom of my computer which should be linked to a copy of XP that I bought, right?  Is there a way to switch it over or will I have to reinstall XP (thereby losing everything on my hard drive again)?

Any help would be great - thanks.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
Re: Is there a way to legally validate my copy of XP?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:23:57 am »
Yes you need to change the XP key on your installed copy with the one that came with your PC.

Your key will either be on a sticker on your laptop, or on the support CD's that came with it when you bought it.

Once you have it, google for "change XP key" or similar. e.g.:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/ht/changexpkey.htm

and follow the instructions.

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 10:24:57 pm
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:56:09 am »
It's entirely possible the version of XP he installed isn't compatible with your key. Your best bet (if the installed copy won't accept your key) is to call Dell and get replacement restore media.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 01:22:20 pm »
It's entirely possible the version of XP he installed isn't compatible with your key. Your best bet (if the installed copy won't accept your key) is to call Dell and get replacement restore media.

Yes. They goofed. However, if you get in a snag, pm me.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:34:29 pm »

This is what I'm afraid of... he installed XP Professional and I used to have XP Home.  Is there a way to install XP Home on top of what's there so I don't lose everything?

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:05:52 pm »
Its not just a matter of XP Home vs XP Pro.  What _Iz- is referring to is that not just any XP Home CD will take your XP Home keycode.

fatfingers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2015, 10:15:43 am
  • Got UltraStiks?™
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 09:40:38 pm »

And thus another Microsoft hater is born...

My DK low scores
-------------------
1) 180700
2) 165000
3) 162900
4) 162600
5) 158500

W.W.P.M.D.?                                       I'm here to help ... I just don't do it. ™

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 12:12:47 am »
You've just got the play the system, that's all...

;)

HairyDVD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2015, 06:58:50 pm
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:41:52 am »
I think that you would not be able to install "Home" over "Professional" from install disks as it would detect the operating system is higher.

Using recovery disks it should do ok - but they normally wipe the hard drive prior to installation.  Dell will charge you for the replacement disks tho  :angry:.

You could change the key, but only for a valid "professional" key (then you have to worry about if it was on OEM version etc.)  You could get a valid key from Microsoft - but they will also charge.

Old Arcade intro videos on Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/HAIRYDVD