Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mala and Daphe Batchfiles  (Read 5521 times)

slsimon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2012, 11:49:12 am
Mala and Daphe Batchfiles
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:22:38 pm »
I have been following uncleT's document while setting up Daphne.  I have the games working flawlessly in the daphne loader as well as created a batch file for all games and have them working as they should.  I have configured mala and have the games I want listed correctly in the game list.  I do not have an executable specified per the mala instructions for batch files.  In the command line, all I have is %rom% set which again is what mala suggests for a preset for daphne emulation.  Upon trying to run each game, I get the following error message in mala.  Any ideas for troubleshooting steps?  I know it's probably something stupid I am overlooking.  Thanks for any feedback,  ;).

Edited to provide a better picture of the error message!!

Edited to provide batch file text!!

@echo off
"d:\mame\game emulation\emulators\programs\daphne\daphne.exe" astron vldp -framefile "d:\mame\game emulation\emulators\programs\daphne\mpeg\astron\astron.txt" -fullscreen -nohwaccel
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:24:50 pm by slsimon »

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
Re: Mala and Daphe Batchfiles
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:46:29 pm »
Sorry I did not see this previously ..... I have spending many hours in the Jukebox forum lately ..........

Anyway .....

Not sure why I have a %rom% command line setting in my document (it was a long time ago ... might be a mistake).   This is probably why MALA has the %rom% setting as it's default.  :dunno

Anyway, here are some formats you should understand:

%path% = indicates the path you specified in the "Rom Path" section
%rom% = indicates the file name found within the %path% (without the extension)
%ext% = indicates the extension you specified in the Rom Extension" section (ie: BAT)

so ..... by using the %rom% only as your "command line" setting you are instructing MALA to run the following "command":

"Cliff Hanger"  <--- and this does not make sense at all, so you get a Fatal error   :P

so, if you change your "command line" setting to be the following, you might have better luck:

"%path%\%rom%.%ext%"   <-- include the double quotes

Assuming the following settings:

Rom Path = "d:\mame\game emulation\emulators\daphne\"
Rom Extension = BAT

.... then the following values would be:

%path% = "d:\mame\game emulation\emulators\daphne\"
%rom% = "CliffHanger"  (for example)
%ext% = "BAT

..... so finally the Command Line "%path%\%rom%.%ext%" informs MALA to run this:

"d:\mame\game emulation\emulators\daphne\CliffHanger.BAT"  <--- makes more sense

So making a long story short .... set your Command Line to "%path%\%rom%.%ext%"

:cheers:   Let me know how it goes
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:54:15 pm by unclet »

slsimon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 07:05:22 pm »
Works like a charm.  Maybe your next release of the uncleT's guide can have a more of an explaination of the format commands just like what you gave here.  I have somewhat of a more understanding now with the commands.  Just have to play with them.  For some reason, I am having a hard time trying to depict all the format commands in Mala.  My thinking was that if one specified bat for file name extension (rom extension) as well as specified where the rom files were all that would be needed is the filename of %rom%.  Obviously, I am only catching half of the setup.  I will catch on eventually.  I will keep this post close to me as a reference.  Thanks for you help... 

By chance, have you ever used the mala hotkeys option to close out of emulators that use the alt-f4 key combination?  Trying to get zsnesw (super nintendo) to exit with ESC mapped to the Alt - F4 key combination and nothing.  I have the hotkey set in mala correctly according to the mala documentation.  I would rather do it this way instead of installing another app like joy2key if possible.  Time to browse the net for zsnesw config file modification options.  See below pic.  Again, thanks for all your help and hard work with documenting. 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:08:54 pm by slsimon »

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:55:21 pm »
Sorry never used MALA hotkeys before since I use a keybaord encoder which can send any kind of character sequences pretty easily (Hangstrom KE72 keyboard encoder).  Expensive, but makes my life a lot easier.   Anyway, I would recommend opening another thread to ask about HotKeys in MALA.

I updated the "MALA How-To" document with the correct Daphne Command line setting now.   

As for zsnesw, I thought there was a configuration menu inside the emulator which you can use to set stuff.   Try running zsnesw.exe directly and then go into the menus and look at what you can configure.

SGT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:35:29 pm »
Trying to get zsnesw (super nintendo) to exit with ESC mapped to the Alt - F4 key combination and nothing. 

I use the wrapper closemul.exe with zsnesw so that ESC closes the emulator. Closemul doesn't even have to be configured as it defaults to using ESC for the exit key.

um3k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:24:01 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 06:42:02 am »
Trying to get zsnesw (super nintendo) to exit with ESC mapped to the Alt - F4 key combination and nothing.  I have the hotkey set in mala correctly according to the mala documentation.  I would rather do it this way instead of installing another app like joy2key if possible.  Time to browse the net for zsnesw config file modification options.  See below pic.  Again, thanks for all your help and hard work with documenting. 
If you set guioff=1 in your zsnesw.cfg file, ZSNES will exit with ESC on its own.

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 08:24:24 am »
If you set guioff=1 in your zsnesw.cfg file, ZSNES will exit with ESC on its own.

That's good to know.  I just tried it, and it works for me.  Thanks!

slsimon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 08:44:06 am »
I just finished modifying the zsnesw config and it worked for me also.  Very cool.  The less applications that one has to configure within mala the better in my opinion.  Less for users to break!!  Thanks for the info um3k.  Thanks, Shane

slsimon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 08:49:08 am »
Now, that I have batch files created for daphne and the games seem to be starting up fine within Mala, I have one last question per Daphne emulation.  I noticed that some of the daphne games seem to keep on looping through the scene sequence when running them.  Somewhere I read that this is possible if the game is in a saved state.  The games that I think were and or looked like they were looping through the scenes that I caught anyway are space ace and dragons lair.  Is there a switch upon load of game to remove a possible save state and or do I have a bad avi-rom download? 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 09:24:18 pm »
Uncle T - would you consider updating your awesome and helpful MalaEmuSetup-v1.3 doc with the info in your reply #1 to this thread.  It doesn't work unless you use path, rom and ext in the command line box.  "%path%\%rom%.%ext%"

i realize you are probably 10 projects down the road since then. Thanks for what you did there, it's helping set up the various emulators greatly.  :)

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 08:00:35 pm »
Uncle T - would you consider updating your awesome and helpful MalaEmuSetup-v1.3 doc with the info in your reply #1 to this thread.  It doesn't work unless you use path, rom and ext in the command line box.  "%path%\%rom%.%ext%"

i realize you are probably 10 projects down the road since then. Thanks for what you did there, it's helping set up the various emulators greatly.  :)

I already have updated the tutorial doc. With more than just that. Look at the end of that thread.
-Banned-