Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Anarchy Project - CPO Complete / Mounting in Progress 1/16/08  (Read 4999 times)

Pun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2018, 07:10:08 pm
After trolling these forums for about 6 months I figured it was time to :censored: or get off the pot, so I decided on the latter. First, let me say thank you for having such an amazing resource for projects like this; it has made it my dream of crafting my own arcade machine come true. Secondly, I want to sincerely thank Roger for all his help brainstorming and developing. Now on to the goods!

About 3 months ago I acquired a gutted Virtua Cop cabinet. 2 major issues presented themselves right off the bat, mirrored display and lack of control panel :banghead:.  I will update you with our solution which to me actually adds a unique twist to the machine.

I've also been slowly hacking away designing my sideart, CPO and marquee. Preliminary designs are outlined below:

Machine Features:
  • 2 Player (6 Buttons)
  • Trackball
  • Cup/Beer Holders
  • P4 / 1Gig RAM
  • Unique Goodies! Coming Soon!

Please leave lots of feedback, as I want this to be a successful first project!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:08:13 pm by Pun »

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
Re: Arcade Anarchy Project
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 01:45:13 pm »
Sounds interesting so far.  The side art looks nice.  Good work planning the beer holding already.

Guess just interested in seeing where you go with the mirrored display and adding a control panel.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: Arcade Anarchy Project
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 02:02:23 pm »
It appears your mirror is intact, so the first thought that came to my mind was a pedestal CP.
Of course, you could always make it into a nice gun cabinet.

Pun

• Offline Offline
Re: Arcade Anarchy Project - Yoke Update 9/5/07
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 01:42:07 pm »
As the chips fall into place I will continue to update you guys with progress. Here's some photos of the most recent work completed regarding the monitor. I decided to use a 29" TV w/ S-Video as the main monitor. Why a TV? Well, because it was free.  ;D

This next part is EXTREMELY dangerous so please don't attempt to do this unless you know what the hell your doing! By using a mirrored cabinet, the image needed to be reversed in order to display properly. We opted to switch the yoke on the television. TV's carry a huge charge even when unplugged, thankfully it had been in the garage unused for months, even still the utmost care was taken.

The first photo is the determination of X and Y axis and the second is of results. Simple crimping was used even though we probably should have used heat shrink tubing, we were excited to see the results. The image looked fantastic, we will just need to increase the size of the bezel slightly, but overall worked flawlessly.

I will hopefully get some photos up this week of the CPO build, but I am still waiting on some parts to come in.

One question I do have, is regarding Killer Instinct and a few other games, which seems to run slightly choppy. I have increased my RAM and processor but see no drastic changes, anyone know how to fix this?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2024, 12:18:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 08:11:37 pm »
Mirrors!!  ooohhhhh this is going to be sweet.  Nice job.  As for Killer Instinct, I have a P4 with 1GB of RAM and onboard video and it runs fine...    :cheers:

Pun

• Offline Offline
Re: Arcade Anarchy Project - T-Molding 9/13/07
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 03:48:23 pm »
So the t-molding finally arrived yesterday as did some of the steel pipes for the CPO. This weekend after much sanding and routing the console should be completed and then it will all just depend on how fast I can get the artwork completed.

Translucent molding? Took me a while to find, but once I did, I made sure I got plenty more than enough. I have spray painted the speakers and will post new photos this weekend of the progress so far.

Thanks for the info Javery, Bella's helped me out considerably and I will take a look into my RAM setup. I also have read that DirectDraw could play a major role, don't know if you fiddled with that at all.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 03:50:20 pm by Pun »

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 03:57:07 pm »
Where did you get the translucent T-molding?

AcidArmitage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2015, 02:19:05 am
  • keeeyaaaii
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 04:36:17 pm »
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 04:40:30 pm by AcidArmitage »

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 04:58:37 pm »
Mirrors!!  ooohhhhh this is going to be sweet.  Nice job. 

Mirrors reflecting mirrors? Hi-tech sorcery! Sorcery, I say!
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 08:25:42 pm »
Mirrors!!  ooohhhhh this is going to be sweet.  Nice job. 

Mirrors reflecting mirrors? Hi-tech sorcery! Sorcery, I say!

Akuma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2011, 07:51:30 am
  • lp, lp → lk, sp
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 01:38:52 am »
Do you have any pics of installed t-molding yet? I'm very curious to see what the cab looks like with that translucent t-molding! : )

Pun

• Offline Offline
Re: Arcade Anarchy Project - CPO Progress 10/4/07
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 02:48:01 pm »
Alrighty, just a brief update as the last few weeks have been somewhat hectic. We always go all out on Halloween so I've been feverishly trying to get all our wiring and props mapped out this year so I can spend time on the machine. All parts have now arrived, except for the what will illuminate the translucent molding (soldering is proving to be more difficult then previously expected), but I think it will be worth the wait. The CPO has been a slow process and we are having to reinforce it considerably for the effect we are trying to achieve. The first photo is of the CPO process so far, Player 1 has been cut as well as the cup holders, the trackball hole in the middle was cut as a point of reference but obviously will have to be cut higher on the final CPO.

Raw piping that will attach CPO to machine, I have yet to airbrush rust color on and add epoxy for leaky piping look.

Not applicable to arcade machine but thought I add my spider web gun as it took time away from the build. It plugs right into my compressor and just coated my house in spider web in a few hours.

Akuma, I will snag a photo of what the t-molding looks like for you but again I haven't gotten the wiring yet for illumination, so it will be kind of hard to get the full effect.

Akuma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2011, 07:51:30 am
  • lp, lp → lk, sp
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 02:58:03 pm »
Akuma, I will snag a photo of what the t-molding looks like for you but again I haven't gotten the wiring yet for illumination, so it will be kind of hard to get the full effect.

Hey, thanks in advance for that! Infact, I'm interrested to see what it looks like without any illumination.

Besides that: I like your project very much and think it will look great when it comes together!

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 03:54:26 pm »
That's great about the pic of the translucent t-molding and all... but how about a pic of your house covered in spider webs?

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 02:41:27 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 09:48:18 pm »
And some info on the web gun.  I've seen the results of their use on movie sets, but never seen a good tutorial on how to make one.

bluevolume

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2019, 12:14:32 pm
  • I wish I'd bought more pins...
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 12:13:43 am »
Can you coat in-laws with spider webs using said gun?   :applaud:
SABRECADE LIVES ON

WaRpEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 10:17:57 pm »
How about a giant spider?
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 05:50:07 am »
So here I was browsing the internet today and I came across translucent t-molding at t-molding.com ... Immediately I thought about putting EL wire behind the t-molding and lighting it up.

Sure enough, I'm not the first :D

I'm really interested to see that T-molding installed, especially if its lit up from the spine (another thread mentioning this t-molding only had it lit from the edge).

Pun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 03:01:46 pm »
Sorry, it's been awhile since my last update on the machine. Essentially with the holidays, a Disneyland trip and birthdays, minimal work has been done on it. I will however get some photos posted of current state by this weekend.

Needless to say the El Wire looks pretty amazing. Part of the issue preventing me from moving forward on the project is the mounting of the CPO. As many of you know...it's really freaking heavy. And it's been difficult to reinforce the floating effect as promised, but I will be victorious.

P.S. - Halloween bash was amazing! Teaching myself solenoid triggers and other crap so I can incorporate animatronics into next years extravaganza.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:04:37 pm by Pun »