Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: drotate.exe  (Read 3364 times)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
drotate.exe
« on: January 11, 2008, 06:53:04 pm »
I am working on a rotating monitor. During this most enlightening experience, I learned a few things.
I also developed a small DOS program to allow me to test my motor and drive.
Thread link
It is basically a dos version of a program created by Koz319.
I thought I would post it for download here, and maybe remove it from the other thread. (The other thread is getting pretty big.)
Anyway, this program will allow you to enter DOS commands to turn on outputs on the printer port.
The DOS commands are:
drotate (Shows the command switches, 1st screenshot)
drotate l (Turns on assigned output to rotate monitor left)
drotate r (Turns on associated output to rotate monitor right).
drotate sho (Displays the settings file)
drotate s (Opens up the GUI where you can set up the program to do what you want. Other screenshots)

Here it is in zipped form. You might be able to play with it in Windows, but it will only communicate correctly with the printer port in DOS. Unzip the download, you should get drotate.exe

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: drotate.exe
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 07:49:55 am »
Because dos on a windows machine (or at least any windows machine anybody would still be using) has a seperate, emulated rendering function, this would only work on dos or at the very best only work on dos apps.  Since the whole point of running windows is ot NOT have to use the dos versions of emulators I doubt this is going to be helpful to windows users.  ;)

On the windows end of things a utility simply isn't needed.  Both nvidia and ati cards support rotation via command line and/or shortcuts and the avga card is an ati.  Even if you don't use those two, powerstrip can usually force rotation on any modern video card. 

I'm sure those who are still running dos will find this useful though, so thanks!

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: drotate.exe
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:44:38 am »
Thanks for your comments, but this program is not meant to rotate the screen, but is to be used to control a motor that rotates the whole monitor. (I dont know of any monitor cards that will do this.)
And I agree, it will not be helpful to Windows users, but I threw it together to test my motor and circuits on my old dos machine. (I would rather fry it than my WinXP arcade puter.)
It only works with DOS because Big Brother Bill killed the printer port peek/poke functions on the later Windows versions.
But you can still do it in windows, it just requires an add on program. (right now Drotate cannot do this.)

Drotate.exe is not meant to be used with any FE, but I suppose it could be.
It is mostly to allow you to develop your rotating mechanism, and to test it using an older sacrificial computer.
It is more or less meant to be a development tool.

I thought there were a lot of people still using DOS on their arcades, maybe just not so many using DOS AND rotating the monitor.