Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: xmame stays in low resolution when I exit games  (Read 3909 times)

captbaritone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2007, 01:54:05 pm
    • ClassicalCode
xmame stays in low resolution when I exit games
« on: November 24, 2007, 10:33:14 pm »
I recently upgraded my Ubuntu cabinet (in progress) to Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10) and have encountered a strange problem. Now (usually but not always) when xmame exits, instead of returning to the original system resolution (1024x768) the system stays at the resolution that the game was using. (640x480) which completely screws up wahcade.

Any ideas why this would happen? Do you know of a place to ask questions about xame?

Any help is appreciated, I am sooo close to getting this thing running after MONTHS!

-Captbaritone

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2013, 06:51:45 pm
  • xybots rocks!
Re: xmame stays in low resolution when I exit games
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 09:28:19 am »
Not too familiar with XMAME, but I remember stumbling across an option in advancemame that will revert the video mode upon exit when I was perusing the documentation one day.  XMAME may have a similar option - you might try searching the documentation for video mode or revert or something.

captbaritone

• Offline Offline
    • ClassicalCode
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:55:49 am »
Unfortunately, I don't see any such reference here:

http://linux.die.net/man/6/xmame

One possible fix I am thinking of is finding some application or command which will revert the video mode and having wahcade run it after xmame.

ideas?

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2013, 06:51:45 pm
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:44:36 am »
hmmm... maybe a re-start of your window manager or x-server?  I can't remember if programs running under X are child processes of the X server or not.  If not, perhaps wahcade can send a hangup signal to the x server....?

captbaritone

• Offline Offline
    • ClassicalCode
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 01:49:29 pm »
I FINALLY figured it out!

In Wahcade, at the end of the list of options that get passed to xmame, I added:

"; xrandr -s 1024x768"

Which means that after xmame closes, it runs the application xrandr to manually reset the video mode (in case xmame forgot this time).

-Captbaritone
http://www.classicalcode.com