Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Outrun Connectors  (Read 4150 times)

alexred

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 03:17:41 pm
Sega Outrun Connectors
« on: November 19, 2007, 04:03:33 pm »
Does anyone know what type of connector is used to connect to a Sega Outrun PCB?  I need to replace one of the power connectors.  They are 10 pin connectors labeled AMP.  The PCB has latches that the connectors slot into.  I have looked at the usual sources and can't find anything close.  They are not AMP-LATCH which is the only connector type I can find that look even close.

TheDriver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2008, 04:08:37 pm
Re: Sega Outrun Connectors
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 09:40:06 am »
Intresting, I was going to ask this very question when I have finished my jamma machine!!! anyway, I am not sure of what kind they are but a quick search on google found a few thing's that look like them (not having any connector's in my cab at all makes it difficult to look at for reference!) from memory the below link is the closest match I can find but apologies if it is wrong:

http://www.action-electronics.com/computerconnectors.htm#Idcfem

Post back if they are correct for future reference.

Regards.

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:23:16 pm »
Identifying connectors without a picture is practically impossible.  Get a GOOD up-close picture (preferably several from different angles).  Use macro mode on your camera.  Be sure to get detailed images of any locking mechanisms, how the contacts connect to the wire/cable, etc.  If you can get a ruler in the pictures, do so.  The pin-to-pin spacing is also important to know; be aware that it is usually a "nice number" in either metric mm or decimal inches, not the traditional fractional inches.

AMP makes TONS of connectors, many of which cross to another manufacturer anyway, so knowing that it's made by AMP doesn't do a whole lot of good, but it does at least give one a place to start.

If it looks like the connector that TheDriver posted, that's a really standard connector.  You can buy them just about anywhere from several manufacturers.  Just look up 0.1" IDC ribbon connectors.

alexred

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 08:33:07 am »
Thanks TheDriver.  Unfortunately, that is not the correct connector.  I was hoping someone had experience with the wiring and would know offhand what type Outrun uses.  I will break out the camera and take a picture of the connector and header.  I believe the pin spacing is .156, the particular connector I need is rectangular, 10 pin, 2 rows of 5.  What makes the connector unusual is the way it mates with the header which has levers on both sides to secure the plug.  I may just end up using something that fits but doesn't mate.

Thanks,

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 05:53:22 pm »
From the sound of it, it's probably some sort of Mate-N-Lock. Get a picture.  If it has such a unique latching system, it should be easy enough to identify.

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 05:27:36 pm »
yeah, they are unique.  I have an old sega board that has lots of them.  It's from an old motorcycle game.

Every Sega I get into sucks. 
King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side

TheDriver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2008, 04:08:37 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 09:34:32 am »
No news on these yet alexred???? I had another look for them myself as I found a good pinout of the board but only found similar looking connector not the correct one's.

Regards.

alexred

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 09:40:18 pm »
I have not been able to identify the connectors.  I have purchased a mini outrun harness that has the connectors I need.  So, if anyone needs a harness minus the power connectors or some other pieces let me know.  Here are some pictures of the connectors.  Maybe someone can identify them.