Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Infogrames name change  (Read 2021 times)

AX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2004, 02:07:53 pm
  • The only way to win is to cheat!
Infogrames name change
« on: May 07, 2003, 04:18:11 pm »
any one read this article yet?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9364

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2006, 12:01:12 am
  • But then again, that's just one man's opinion.
    • Turbo2k
Re:Infogrames name change
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 07:18:29 pm »
any one read this article yet?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9364

That's pretty cool.  And I'd say Atari is as American as the Western-Europe grandparents of the Atari founders who immigrated here :).  I see no reason to complain about the fact that a French company coming more and more to the US changed it's name to an American company's name.

Those of us who are not native to this continent originally came from somewhere else, too.

Odonadon
It's Captain Odonadon, and his magical bag of nuts.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 03:32:31 pm »
Plus they will name it Atari in America, but all of their offices elsewhere will be called Atari+country (e.g. Atari France, Atari Syberia, etc.).  That's a pretty stand-up gesture if you ask me.  If I had built a successful company I wouldn't want to adopt a name that suggested it was a not started and built from my country.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 06:32:23 am »
What would be cool is if they rereleased the 2600 AGAIN. Maybe with a $99-$199 pricetag, but with all the games they own the rights to preinstalled on an EPROM inside.

I would buy that!
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 10:41:43 am »
$199 !!!?  For a 2600?

Are you out of your mind?  Do you want them to go under again?
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 10:43:29 am »
Well, that would be $199 with the entire game library included. $99 would probably be a better price point though.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2003, 02:40:28 pm »
Try $49 and you might be getting close to what a significant number of people would be willing to pay for this thing.  There are not many people in this world who care about Atari 2600 games any more.  Have you seen the new Grand Theft Auto?

On a related note, have you seen the authentic Atari 2600 controller that can be had at Gamestop or the HSN that has a built in Atari 2600 and I think 10 games including asteroids and Yar's Revenge?  The controller itself has Composite A/V out cables coming out of it so it function as the console, the controller and the cartridge.  It costs $25.

Best Kid iPad Apps

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2003, 03:04:38 pm »
I kind of stopped caring about updated games a few years ago. Everything starting with Super Mario 64 was just freaking amazing. So I don't care if I get the latest games now. When I buy a new game it is usually a $9.99 special that was a hit a few years ago.

Odonadon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2006, 12:01:12 am
  • But then again, that's just one man's opinion.
    • Turbo2k
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 01:37:45 am »
I kind of stopped caring about updated games a few years ago. Everything starting with Super Mario 64 was just freaking amazing. So I don't care if I get the latest games now. When I buy a new game it is usually a $9.99 special that was a hit a few years ago.

Boy do I hear that.  I bought me a GameBoy Advance SP a while back - most of my new game collection are classic GB or GB Colour games.  When you haven't owned a GameBoy for over 10 years, it's surprising how many games were released that you didn't know about :)

Odonadon
It's Captain Odonadon, and his magical bag of nuts.