Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Optical or Mechanical Rotary sticks?  (Read 1623 times)

Warborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
Optical or Mechanical Rotary sticks?
« on: November 01, 2007, 10:57:18 pm »
Well, I have the option of getting a set of rotary sticks for free (specifically, giong to be doing some work on a friend's cab, he is buying me a set) and wanted to hear from anyone that might have the Happs mechanical or optical rotaries...  I'm obviously interested in them to play things like Ikari/Heavy Barrel/50 Cal., but probably infrequently.  I thought of getting the mechanical ones to have the "click" feeling, but at the same time considered getting the opticals as I already have an Opti-Wiz installed and could simply plug the opticals into it instead of having to pop for Randy's Roto-X interface board...

These sticks will be replacing my Happs Supers...

genesim

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2010, 08:18:42 pm
Re: Optical or Mechanical Rotary sticks?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:13:19 pm »
I like the clicks.   It feels more authentic and at the same time, I had Happs Perfect 360's and the didn't "feel" more accurate...even if in theory they were.

I guess they just weren't as forgiving.   The clicks make it for me though.   I love them!   I like the mechanical Rotaries the best for even fighting games.   A little extra resistence because of the wires, and a heavier feel.    They work fine for me with accuracy as well.

Don't get me wrong though.   There is little to no difference with the supers, and I almost call them twins.   

kowal

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2023, 02:02:16 am
  • Suzo 4ever
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:12:44 am »
this difficult choice. I have both.
optical is more precise, they are easier to connecting, more resistant and universal. It was possible to use them to games with spinner - Forgotten Worlds

but mechanical they are nicer and best for Ikari

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:50:40 pm »
this difficult choice. I have both.
optical is more precise, they are easier to connecting, more resistant and universal. It was possible to use them to games with spinner - Forgotten Worlds

but mechanical they are nicer and best for Ikari

How about things like 50 Cal?  If I'm not mistaken, those had optical rotaries to begin with...

You say they work well enough for spinner type games, have you tried them with Blasteroids?

kowal

• Offline Offline
  • Suzo 4ever
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 05:16:57 am »
Caliber 50 original joystick used optical version LS30. if you will buy optical you will be satisfied.
original optical LS30 is hard to find and it is roads - NOS 60-80$
I have equivalents HAPP in C50 this acts very good (+ MiniPAC). I regret that they have battop instead of octahedron.
You say they work well enough for spinner type games, have you tried them with Blasteroids?
This should act in MAME with every game which it uses mouse. obviously, not always this will act comfortably. but I think that better to buy optical rottary

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/k-kowal/Joystick/Optical%20Rotary%20Joystick/
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/k-kowal/Joystick/Rotary%20Joystick/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 05:21:39 am by kowal »

TPB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 09:12:52 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 10:51:31 pm »
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/k-kowal/Joystick/Optical%20Rotary%20Joystick/

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/k-kowal/Joystick/Rotary%20Joystick/

Hi kowal,

Nice photos.

A few questions :

** What depth is required (in millimetres or inches) below the CP for these (both for the Optical and Mechanical variants) ??  The optical seems to require the most depth, with the encoder board hanging off the bottom.

** How do you interface the mechanical rotaries to generate the keystrokes ... are you using Andy's product ?? :

http://www.ultimarc.com/rotary.html

** Have you tried connecting the optical rotaries as a "slave device" to the TT2 spinner's interface board, or have you only interfaced them with the MiniPac ?? :

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=268

** Have you tried playing DOT with the optical rotaries, as per 2600 below ?? ...

I find DOT much easier to play with a optical rotary joystick.  It's not game authentic, but it seems more natural.

Optical rotary might be fine for the first few levels..  but when the up/down  aim levels kick in,
then it would be a real pain.

I've actually gotten my highest scores using this control scheme so I wouldn't call it a pain.  Different users may feel different about it then me.  Like I said, it just felt more natural to me.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:23:19 am by txtworld »

kowal

• Offline Offline
  • Suzo 4ever
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 11:19:08 am »
I have not Ultimarc rottary interface. I this checked on IPAC mapping normal input. I have to buy really:) optical I connected to miniPAC

optical bottom 11,8cm
mechanical bottom 10,5cm

TPB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 09:12:52 pm
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:50:28 pm »
Thanks kowal.

Afterburner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2016, 01:02:00 am
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 11:36:12 am »
I have a couple of old 8-way rotary mechanical joysticks that I use in my cab.

I'm using a several years old rotary interface board (I don't think the site is even up any more), but it provides key inputs into my IPAC.

Works pretty well.  They require about 4 to 4.5 inches in depth if I recall.  There is a 12-position mechanical switch that sticks off the bottom of the joystick shaft.

I have not tried the optical one.

I like the feel of the mechanical detents.
  2-player upright dual trackball / dual 8-way rotary joysticks - built from scratch