Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: mounting the base  (Read 2251 times)

zobook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 12:34:43 pm
mounting the base
« on: November 10, 2007, 09:00:52 am »
First thing first, sorry if my English is bad, i will try to write the best i can

My question is about mounting the base of the cabinet, i see two options as you can see in the picture.

The most common choice as i have seen in many pictures is the left one, while i believe the right one is stronger (the weight is supported by the whole "square" that joins the vertical and horizontal wood, not only by the screws).

Can someone tell me if I'm wrong or not?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 09:04:46 am by zobook »

sstorkel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2011, 09:04:03 pm
Re: mounting the base
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 10:40:29 am »
The picture on the right represents the stronger design, in my opinion. In the picture on the left, there's nothing that supports the "glue block" that everything is attached to. The entire weight of the cabinet is resting on that small block! It wouldn't surprise me if it had a great tendency to separate from the base of the cabinet.

I'd go with the diagram on the right, but I'd make one small change: run screws into both the glue block and the base. Stagger them so they don't interfere with each other. Of course, if you're working with wood you want to use both glue and screws to secure everything.

FWIW, an inexperienced woodworker will probably find both designs difficult to execute. The base must match the cabinet dimensions pretty accurately in order for the design to work. That means that all of the corner angles have to match as well as the lengths and widths of the base.

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2022, 04:56:10 pm
  • warning: drew can't handle my avatar...
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 10:32:17 pm »
definitely go with the method on the right... :cheers:

EwJ

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2022, 10:16:06 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 11:16:12 pm »
Yes, indeed - the method on the right.  If possible, use something larger than the 'square' - preferable a large triangle that goes out past the wheel and much further up the 'vertical wood' (insert joke here).
Try to keep the wheels as close to the 'vertical wood' as possible as well. Glue n screw the hell out of it.
Good luck!

zobook

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 12:34:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 08:55:58 am »
Thanks for the answers. I'll go for the right one then!!  :)

With the suggestion of EwJ will be something like....

Maybe i'll do a bottom "box", with two horizontal layers and pine blocks crossing just to make sure (but is more work, mhhh, maybe not.....  :dizzy:)

Thanks again!!!

WaRpEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 04:21:10 pm »
Another idea would be to build a perimeter frame or box out of 1" by 4" wood preferably Poplar for strength and ease of cutting. This would give a larger glue up area on the vertical wood for strength.
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.