Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aussie Lowboy cabs - how wide? Is there a standard width?  (Read 4380 times)

Anubis_au

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2023, 10:12:32 pm
  • Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?
Aussie Lowboy cabs - how wide? Is there a standard width?
« on: October 03, 2007, 06:30:23 am »
I have one set of plans for a lowboy that say the total width is 585mm, which would make the internal width / CP width 559mm.

I asked RXII what his lowboy's internal width was and he said it was 600mm.

(Which for me, is a great answer. I estimate the internal width required for my rotating monitor attempt is around 600mm, so it's good to know this width has been used elsewhere and the cab still looks like a lowboy.)

So, putting the question out there to other lowboy builders... how wide did you make your cab?

Hbm*rais, your plans only show your side-on profile, and I don't recall you saying how wide you made your cab.

Holdennut, you made your CP 530mm wide from memory? That's a whopping 7cm difference between your cab and RXII's...

Philby85, how wide was your budget woody?

Is there a standard width for a lowboy?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 06:33:13 am by Anubis_au »

hbm*rais

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2010, 08:43:44 pm
  • Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten!
Re: Aussie Lowboy cabs - how wide? Is there a standard width?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 08:51:52 am »
Anubis, mine is 576mm wide (540mm internal width + 2x 18mm).

In my opinion, you should be aesthetically safe with anything between 530, even less if it's a one player CP, and 600 (internal width). If you go beyond that, you should tweak the other measures to keep it proportional.

A friend of mine is building a lowboy base on my plans, he just changed the internal width to 650mm. In my opinion it got too wide and a bit disproportionated. 110mm is quite a change for a cab that size.

philby85

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2008, 08:25:17 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 05:02:05 pm »
Hi David,

My budget woody was 600mm. Most lowboys are just simple 2 player control panels.

cheers

Philby

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2023, 10:12:32 pm
  • Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 07:21:51 pm »
In my opinion, you should be aesthetically safe with anything between 530 and 600 (internal width).

hbm, you hit the nail right on the head... my thoughts also were, how wide can you take a lowboy before it looks disproportional to the rest of the cab dimensions. I was afraid even 600mm would be too much. But I am glad to know 600mm works.

Would have to see a pic of your friend's 650mm effort but I think I'd agree, that might be pushing the width too far...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 07:24:29 pm by Anubis_au »

hbm*rais

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2010, 08:43:44 pm
  • Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »
Anubis,

You can judge by yourself. Here is an SketchUp image of my lowboy with its fat sumo-wrestling-60cm-waist cousin...

Strangely enough my lowboy looks thinner than in real life. It must be the comparison with fatboy...