Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: StrategyWiki.org now hosts guides for over 250 Arcade games  (Read 2888 times)

Procyon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 09:05:23 am
  • MAME FTW
StrategyWiki.org now hosts guides for over 250 Arcade games
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:45:21 pm »
StrategyWiki.org now has gaming guides for over 250 Arcade games (over 200 MAME games including parents and clones), most of which are at a thorough completion state.  We want to invite every video game expert out there to visit the site and verify the accuracy of the content that we have assembled so far for your favorite game.  If you find an error, an omission, or simply something that could be better explained, please feel free to edit the content and make any corrections that you think would be helpful.  Is your favorite game not covered?  Please add it!  StrategyWiki is growing in leaps and bounds, and we aim to cover every game ever made, but we need your help.  Thanks very much, and we hope to see you there.

http://strategywiki.org/
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Category:MAME
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Category:Arcade

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 10:21:06 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re: StrategyWiki.org now hosts guides for over 250 Arcade games
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 11:05:14 pm »
How would there be a difference between a MAME game strategy and ARCADE, considering that MAME is emulation of ARCADE games? I don't get it.

But besides that, I'd like to a strategy. How do I do that?
NO MORE!!

Procyon

• Offline Offline
  • MAME FTW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 12:07:38 am »
How would there be a difference between a MAME game strategy and ARCADE, considering that MAME is emulation of ARCADE games? I don't get it.

There isn't.  Any arcade game that MAME emulates appears in both categories.  Any arcade game that MAME does not (yet) emulate will only appear in the Arcade category.  That's all.  So if you click on the link for, say, Ms. Pac-Man in the Arcade category, it will take you to the exact same page as the Ms. Pac-Man link in the MAME category (or in any other category for that matter, we usually only have one guide per game title, but there are rare exceptions).

Quote from: RayB

But besides that, I'd like to a strategy. How do I do that?

Er... I'm sorry RayB, I'm not sure what you were trying to ask.  If you were asking how to contribute, you simply head to StrategyWiki.org and create an account, and start editing.  StrategyWiki is a wiki site, just like Wikipedia.  The articles are open to everyone to edit and contribute to.  It's like GameFAQs, only instead of having a bunch of disparate guides, we have just one guide that everyone works on.  And we have pictures.  ;D

vorghagen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2017, 01:06:59 am
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 01:29:17 am »
At first glance through a dozen or so titles, I notice that most don't have any strategy guides. There's a brief description, basic controls & gameplay, maybe some history but no actual strategy or hints or tips.
Anyway, the whole thing seems like a good start for a top arcade site. Better get some of the local BYOAC geniuses onto it pronto.
Hurry up now, I need the advantage at my next gaming party.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Procyon

• Offline Offline
  • MAME FTW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 10:55:03 am »
At first glance through a dozen or so titles, I notice that most don't have any strategy guides. There's a brief description, basic controls & gameplay, maybe some history but no actual strategy or hints or tips.

Please do not be insulted by this question, but I'm curious based on your response: Did you explore beyond the first page of the guides that you looked at?  We're a bit different than Wikipedia in that we have multiple pages in our articles.  The Pac-Man guide for example contains 7 pages.  Although it is true that not all of the guides are fleshed out, many of the guides do contain strategies for play.  Could you tell me which guides you took a look at?  Thanks!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 01:52:21 pm »

Please do not be insulted by this question, but I'm curious based on your response: Did you explore beyond the first page of the guides that you looked at?  We're a bit different than Wikipedia in that we have multiple pages in our articles.  The Pac-Man guide for example contains 7 pages.  Although it is true that not all of the guides are fleshed out, many of the guides do contain strategies for play.  Could you tell me which guides you took a look at?  Thanks!

I did. I looked here: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong/Walkthrough for specifically how to beat the elevator stages (particularly stage elevator level 3) and it doesn't offer any tips or strategy really. It's the #2 game on the list. Also, I don't see anything on barrel patterns, etc. It's a cool site and it can only keep getting better. Something worth keeping an eye on.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 10:21:06 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 12:15:50 am »
I'll definitely try adding a Juno First guide.   ;D
NO MORE!!

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 07:50:57 pm »

I did. I looked here: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong/Walkthrough for specifically how to beat the elevator stages (particularly stage elevator level 3) and it doesn't offer any tips or strategy really. It's the #2 game on the list. Also, I don't see anything on barrel patterns, etc. It's a cool site and it can only keep getting better. Something worth keeping an eye on.

Forward this thread to Steve Wiebe, he's really good at it and doesn't mind showing people the sequence. He shows how he does it in detail on the movie King of Kong!

Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

vorghagen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2017, 01:06:59 am
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 01:11:21 am »

Ah, right. Now I see. Didn't look hard enough, did I. :banghead:
At SECOND glance, there's a lot more than I first thought. Still plenty of room for improvement though.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2024, 06:23:16 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 05:30:39 pm »
For Tron, there are patterns you can use for the light cycles and the tank stages. I don't know them, but they are not in the wiki.

Old, but not obsolete.

Procyon

• Offline Offline
  • MAME FTW
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 03:19:06 pm »
Hi everyone.  I realize that people are disappointed that some of the articles lack details about patterns and such.  Admittedly, I am the primary author of a majority of these guides, but I don't claim to be an expert player at many of the games.  I started the guides in hopes of attracting better players than I to follow behind me and fill specific details that I might have omitted or gotten wrong.

As a wiki, the content does not grow unless people are willing to contribute to it.  So please, if you know patterns or other useful information, just sign up and contribute the missing information so that everyone can benefit.  That's the whole idea.

Does anyone know Steve Wiebe's email address?  I'd love to ask him to pitch in on the Donkey Kong article.  Thanks everyone.