Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Joystick recommendation please!  (Read 6313 times)

Jm1010

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2008, 08:16:22 pm
Best Joystick recommendation please!
« on: September 13, 2007, 11:01:13 pm »
Guys I'm building my first 4 player mame cabinet and I'm not sure which 4 Joysticks to Pick. My Boss (wife) wants 4 different colors but I am confused about the pros and cons of each joystick available out there. They don't need to be the same ie 2 could be Ultramarc 4/8 ways switchable from the top and the two others could be something else, whatever you think is best and why you think it's best for Mame would be greatly appreciated!

destructor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 03:10:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Best Joystick recommendation please!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:04:38 pm »
For sure one stick must be without switches. Go for UltraStik 360 (or Perfect 360 if you have time for modify this joystick). You can go for two U360's. One with restrictor plate, second without restrictor plate for analog games. You can buy balltops with different colors for this stick (japanes Sanwa or Seimitsu balls) or battops. Next two, if you want switchable from top and very short throw go for Mag-Stiks.

Jm1010

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2008, 08:16:22 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:56:16 pm »
Thanks a lot for the great help!!

I think it would be great to have a "trade off" assessment of all the joystick choices we have when we build a mame. Maybe there's  already such a guide out there?

Soem of the questions I have .... is the 360 the best all around choice? Are we better with 2 dedicated 8 ways and at least one 4 way? Should we try to add an airplane type joystick over and above  the 4 basic ones?....what about analog? does it matter if we assign them to 1 and 2 vs 3 and 4 or can we reasssign on the fly?

It's really hard to figure that stuff

Is there a way to use the spinner for both a driving wheel and a spinner?

Thanks again!!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:40:01 am »

Is there a way to use the spinner for both a driving wheel and a spinner?

The spinner from GGG has steering wheels that can be attached to if for driving games.

Link

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:00:00 am »
Go for UltraStik 360 (or Perfect 360 if you have time for modify this joystick).

Hi, I am also torn between the P360 and U360.  I don't need the analog or other modes of the U360, I just want a really good non-clicky 8way.  I was leaning towards the p360 because of the cost and my needs.. but I've heard now more than one person say they need to be modified to be good.  Can you please help me out with the modifications you mean, or point me to a thread. 

Thanks in advance.. its overwhelming sometimes when you read all this information and try to make the best chioices.

krutknut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2012, 01:17:50 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 03:51:56 pm »
I suppose you could rip the steering wheel from any old toy with a suitable wheel, and attach it to your spinner. Or maybe your car is quite old and no longer needs a wheel...

metahacker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 03:09:39 am
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 03:17:02 pm »
for a 4 player cab, it's nice to have Project 64 with some N64 games like Mario Kart... in addition to the standard MAME fare.  there are lots of fun 4 player games via Chankast/Project64.

for this kind of stuff, it works best with an analog game pad based input device (ie U360 or GPWiz49)