Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to apply artwork  (Read 2164 times)

layoric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2008, 02:23:39 pm
How to apply artwork
« on: August 13, 2007, 02:16:41 pm »
I'm just before the point where I'll be priming and painting, didn't do the control panel yet, but the design lends for easy installation of most any size.

QUESTIONS: How do you apply artwork on the control panel if it'll be printed from a photo printing service? How would you apply artwork to the side panels?

I figure it would have to be sprayed with some tacky stuff, but with hands all over the control panel portion, how would you protect it? Also, what about cutting out any blank space from the graphics to give a cool effect (would also come into play if the graphics didn't fit the control panel, for instance if they were smaller)?

Thanks!

Kirk

layoric

• Offline Offline
Re: How to apply artwork
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:53:28 pm »
I just figured it out, laminated... :banghead:

lowlifefalcon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2009, 08:09:39 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 02:53:24 pm »
where do you get it laminated? and is it expensive?

someone wanted me to do a machine for them and the artwork is printed on heavy paper.

layoric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:30:52 pm »
I'd just go to one of the copy centers like Kinko's and ask about it.
If it's small enough could also look into a personal laminator. I just figure those options are cheaper than having a service print it out on vinyl.
- Kirk

Mallen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2008, 11:50:52 am
  • Save Mikey
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 01:48:39 pm »
I bought my CPO artwork from Mame Marquee, the magic lightning control panel design.  I ordered it with the adhesive back.  I was planning on laying a piece of lexan over the top to protect it, but the paper feels good and looks like it will take some ware.  I wouldn't try to stick it to MDF board, it would just peel off.  What I did was brush about 5 coats of polyurathane on the MDF, sanding in between.  First couple of coats were thnned to soak into the fibers.  This makes a good surface to stick the artwork on.  I scratched my head for several days thinking about how to apply it because everything had to line up just right (joystick and trackball holes with design).  What I came up with is this: I cut all holes first for joystick, buttons, trackball, etc.  Just before laying the sticker, clean it with alcohol.  Then, I took an envelope opener and cut the backing paper right down the middle and then cut again about an inch from the first cut.  That leaves one inch of exposed sticker from top to bottom.  I then layed the art work over the CP and by pushing on the spots where the joysticks should go I could fell the holes where they were.  Once it was moved to where they lined up, my son run his finger down the middle to stick it.  Then I picked up one side of the artwork and my son slowy unpeeled and I stuck it.  The result was an absolutely dead center sticker with no bubbles.  Then I took an exacto knife and cut out the holes and edges.  I'll try to get a photo and post it.   ;D ;D  Hope this procedure helps someone. 

soup

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2023, 08:09:06 am
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 08:01:06 am »
I bought my CPO artwork from Mame Marquee, the magic lightning control panel design.  I ordered it with the adhesive back.  I was planning on...
...Hope this procedure helps someone. 

Yes, yes it did. Thanks!  :applaud: