Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Could someone print the Galaga sideart and kickplate art for me? (i'll pay)  (Read 4147 times)

2PacMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2009, 08:33:45 am
  • PacMan collection
I was wondering if someone could print me a set of sideart and kickplate art for a galaga machine based on the artwork files in the library.  I would like them printed on the high quality vinyl just like the original sideart was.  I will pay for this service of course.  If anyone is interested, please drop me a line.  Thanks!

Avrus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2011, 09:17:25 pm
  • Canada
    • The Avrus Arcade Project 'Conquest'
Re: Could someone print the Galaga sideart and kickplate art for me? (i'll pay)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 11:27:53 am »
I was wondering if someone could print me a set of sideart and kickplate art for a galaga machine based on the artwork files in the library.  I would like them printed on the high quality vinyl just like the original sideart was.  I will pay for this service of course.  If anyone is interested, please drop me a line.  Thanks!

http://www.mamemarquees.com/customer-design-c-26.html?osCsid=8abd181c731a935b7ee46b0763d6b3dd

dstone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2021, 01:03:52 pm
    • Vectorcade
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 11:31:30 am »

http://www.mamemarquees.com/customer-design-c-26.html?osCsid=8abd181c731a935b7ee46b0763d6b3dd

With the exception of any Ms pacman / Pacman / Galaga artwork, please purchase those from www.twobits.com
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:33:30 am by dstone »

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 06:44:15 pm »
I wonder if Scott would print them if they were submitted as "CUSTOM" artwork and the artwork provided by the purchaser....

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 09:53:18 pm »

I've seen nice quality non-TwoBit reproductions floating around for about $10/piece.  Wish I'd bought a few sets while it was right in front of me at the pinball shows, but I didn't. :(  I believe they were inkjet and laminated, but they looked VERY good to be inkjet.  In fact, the color matches were far closer than the silkscreen stuff that TwoBit sells (I have used the twobit sideart before, too).

Wade

rikitiki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:17:35 pm
    • Custom Arcade Game Printing
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:37:36 am »
Get you some silkscreened art from www.QuarterArcade.com
and as Bob Barker use to say "the price is right"!
Saving the Planet one Game at a time.

www.ThisOldGame.com

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:12:08 am »
Get you some silkscreened art from www.QuarterArcade.com
and as Bob Barker use to say "the price is right"!

You do realize that is more expensive than twobits, right?

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 12:01:01 pm »
By $11 and sinse  alot of people despize 2bits
does the bad out weigh the goods?

So suck it up and buy from 2bits or pony up the cash and get it from someone else
dont cheap out on an inkjet when nice screened art is available. IMO ;D

www.ThisOldGame.com

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 04:00:27 pm »
It's not just the $$, TwoBit's work is actually kinda crappy color-wise compared to some other silkscreen versions available. I think it might have something to do with them thinking that since they are the only game in town, they don't have to be spot-on on their artwork repros.

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 04:57:49 pm »
By $11 and sinse  alot of people despize 2bits
does the bad out weigh the goods?

So suck it up and buy from 2bits or pony up the cash and get it from someone else
dont cheap out on an inkjet when nice screened art is available. IMO ;D

The artwork from twobits is also silk screened. I seriously doubt that quartercade sells anything else than the twobits prints.
This signature is intentionally left blank

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 10:32:30 pm »
I don't know guys, high-quality inkjet printing on adhesive vinyl and then laminated looks really nice.  When it comes to vinyl, I don't have any problem using vinyl that's inkjet printed and laminated.  silk-screening is really nice when it's done on a thicker material, especially glass or plastic such as bezels and Nintendo control panels.

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 10:13:00 am »
Good quailty Inkjets are fine for a rare hard to find piece Ive used them myself
but when a silk screened verison is available and usally around for the same price... :dunno
The Fact is Inkkjets wont last  nearly as long before they fade and even the best inkljets out there cant achieve the brightness or color vibrancy of a piece that has been silkscreened. and tend to look Flat as where a silkscreened piece will really "pop" in color and dimension.
Got no dog in the fight here just pointing someone in the right direction that needs Galaga art.
Not to mention only the 2bits and Quarter Arcade versions are licened by Namco.
May not be NOS but the best thing you can buy as close to its orginal out there.

The fact that some minor details or color may be slightly different in any reproduction is somewhat silly IMO as even Companys like Atari produced pieces that didnt match in color, art and color as they constantly made  revisions  throughout production and reruns.

www.ThisOldGame.com

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 10:23:37 am »
Good quailty Inkjets are fine for a rare hard to find piece Ive used them myself
but when a silk screened verison is available and usally around for the same price... :dunno
The Fact is Inkkjets wont last  nearly as long before they fade and even the best inkljets out there cant achieve the brightness or color vibrancy of a piece that has been silkscreened. and tend to look Flat as where a silkscreened piece will really "pop" in color and dimension.
Got no dog in the fight here just pointing someone in the right direction that needs Galaga art.
Not to mention only the 2bits and Quarter Arcade versions are licened by Namco.
May not be NOS but the best thing you can buy as close to its orginal out there.

The fact that some minor details or color may be slightly different in any reproduction is somewhat silly IMO as even Companys like Atari produced pieces that didnt match in color, art and color as they constantly made  revisions  throughout production and reruns.

I agree with this for the most part, in fact I'm usually one of the people who does everything I can to point people AWAY from inkjet copies.  Usually (and often on this board) I see people buy inkjet versions for only a few dollars less than the real deal, silkscreened quality reproductions... or get Mame Marquees to print out something that is already reproduced as a silk screened copy.  This is just plain ignorant!  They obviously don't know the difference or didn't shop around for the real silkscreened artwork.  For example, I've seen people on this forum get Galaga or Donkey Kong artwork printed up by Mame Marquees (and didn't customize the art or anything that would require a special print).

However, in the case of Galaga artwork... the silkscreen twobit repros are *pathetic* in color match quality, and they are priced at 3x, 5x, 10x the price of some of the nicer inkjet versions, depending on who you buy the Twobit artwork from.  With that in mind, I'd recommend the $10 inkjet repro versus the less accurate $50-100 versions.

Like I said, I wish I'd bought a bunch of the $10 versions when I had the chance.  I've seen the exact same versions sold later for over $100 per set.

Wade

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 10:28:55 am »
I had some inkjet marquees sitting in my garage that were printed at high quality on good gloss photo paper. Apparently one of them was able to catch a bit of sun through the garage door windows. Anyways, after about two weeks I went to get them and  the corner that had been exposed to sun was very obviously lighter in color than the rest of the marquee.
So what I am saying is that inkjet copies are HORRIBLE when it comes to UV damage. Krylon clear coat probably helps, but I wouldn't put  stock in it for a nice machine. A mame conversion, go ahead with super cheap inkjet. But if I was restoring a nice machine, or putting full sideart on a nice mame machine, inkjet is probably not a good idea if you can avoid it.

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 11:31:25 am »

However, in the case of Galaga artwork... the silkscreen twobit repros are *pathetic* in color match quality, and they are priced at 3x, 5x, 10x the price of some of the nicer inkjet versions, depending on who you buy the Twobit artwork from.  With that in mind, I'd recommend the $10 inkjet repro versus the less accurate $50-100 versions.

Like I said, I wish I'd bought a bunch of the $10 versions when I had the chance.  I've seen the exact same versions sold later for over $100 per set.

Wade
I cant say why any company would go through all the time, money and hassle of requring licensing rights and put out a "patheic" product. But again if when reproducing these graphics its hard to say what they used as a go-by. with so many revisions done with orginal artwork whos to say which one is the right one. Im tempted to order a set and see it first hand. In any case if colors is what your basing it on. Inkjets wont and cant be any be any better when comparing it to the orginal.  Apples and oranges.

www.ThisOldGame.com

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 01:08:51 pm »
I cant say why any company would go through all the time, money and hassle of requring licensing rights and put out a "patheic" product. But again if when reproducing these graphics its hard to say what they used as a go-by. with so many revisions done with orginal artwork whos to say which one is the right one. Im tempted to order a set and see it first hand. In any case if colors is what your basing it on. Inkjets wont and cant be any be any better when comparing it to the orginal.  Apples and oranges.

I can only speculate why their version is so poor.  My guess is that they aren't concerned about quality, and will try to capture sales by shutting down the unlicensed versions.  For the most part, their efforts have been successful.

Also, I don't think the "age" argument holds water here.  I've seen dozens of original Galagas, and their artwork all looked the same in color to me.  They weren't prone to fading, apparently.  The twobit version, in contrast, had colors that didn't look like any original Galaga I've seen.  Surely the difference is just due to poor quality.

The inkjet versions I saw however, were so close in color that the only way I could tell they were inkjet is because they were laminated.  It was truly a case of, "Wow! I guess there are times when the inkjet knockoff really is better."  This has been the ONLY time I've ever thought that.  The Control panels were indistinguishable from the Twobit Repro because they were texture laminated.  They might not last as long as the Twobit version (but then again... the Twobit CP overlay put on the same machine in question CRACKED very quickly at the bend).

Check out the pictures of the Galaga I restored at usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/wadelanham .  You can see the sideart for yourself.  Notice how the two shades of green on the sideart are almost the same, where one of them should be very dark, and also notice how wrong the blue and magenta look on the kickplate.

It is possible that Twobits' quality varies, and if you order some right now, yours might be nicer.  Who knows.

I'm not a supporter of inkjet.  This Galaga stuff is just the one example that breaks all the rules about what we expect from repro artwork.

Wade

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 01:46:03 pm »
Hey rikitiki...is it possible to buy color-matched ink for silk screening? What if I needed the Ms. Pac Blue, Yellow and Pink? Is there a company out there that will color match silkscreen inks? I'll bet it's friggin expensive, eh.

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 08:38:02 pm »
Wade unless 2bits ran those in different runs at different times theyd most likly all be the same.
cant really tell much  in the pics, the art looks good but have nothing to side by side compare. but the front on the other hand does look a little strange
is the 2bits version printed on the back side of lexan? is this how the orginal was I thought it was just a surface print like the sides?? :dunno
It is a shame that any company would not put forth the effort to improve or put out the best possible product.

www.ThisOldGame.com

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 08:44:52 pm »
Hey rikitiki...is it possible to buy color-matched ink for silk screening? What if I needed the Ms. Pac Blue, Yellow and Pink? Is there a company out there that will color match silkscreen inks? I'll bet it's friggin expensive, eh.

I think some of the ink mfgs might at least they use to  I can check it out and get back to you. but Im sure its not cheap and they may have mins.
it may be cheaper just to buy the base colors and mix them yourself.
qts of ink usally run $20-$40 depending on the color Black cheap, yellow usally more expensive.
I have a new post up for an agent X screening project and will be going into colors/mixing  very soon as Im using pantone color specs from the orginal atri master films

www.ThisOldGame.com

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 09:41:31 pm »
Wade unless 2bits ran those in different runs at different times theyd most likly all be the same.
cant really tell much  in the pics, the art looks good but have nothing to side by side compare. but the front on the other hand does look a little strange
is the 2bits version printed on the back side of lexan? is this how the orginal was I thought it was just a surface print like the sides?? :dunno
It is a shame that any company would not put forth the effort to improve or put out the best possible product.

Hi Rikitiki,

I was just giving Twobits the benefit of the doubt. :)  I suppose you're right, those pictures don't demonstrate the color problems as much as I thought (I couldn't actually see the pics because I was at work at the time).

The Twobits is surface silkscreened on white vinyl like the original.  You're right, it's a shame. :)  Their Pac and Mspac art isn't much better.

Wade

prOk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2015, 08:29:34 pm
  • www.rgvac.com
    • Brian's Classic Arcade
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 10:17:32 pm »
I thought I'd share some info on Inkjet printing.

First and foremost, I'll say that a quality screen print job is ideal and you should buy it whenever possible.. BUT, for rare stuff that just isn't economical to do screened you can do brilliant work with an inkjet.   I'm sure rikitiki will agree with me that simply owning a printer or screening equipment doesn't mean you know what you're doing.  You must have a knowledge of how the printer works, materials and above all COLOR.  If you don't have a handle on those basic things your end product will show it.   

Just for an example, I took the comments posted here about Galaga sideart and printed a mini version on my printer which is a digital solvent printer so I do not need things like laminates to protect the ink, solvent UV inks don't fade or run when they get wet and you end up with the same look and feel as screened.  It's not as perfect as screened as solvent printers still dither like traditional inkjets, but for one off stuff you can't get much better.  In this case, I don't currently have a galaga or any galaga art to reference beyond the flyer so that's the best my color is for this example.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bsonej/Galaga/

Anyway, general rule of thumb for those buying art.  If a screened example exists, buy it.. providing quality is there.  Sadly, 2bits has a history of really bad quality.  It wasn't until this year that he corrected his pac man sideart to have the artwork facing the correct way!

/brian