Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ***Updated Labor Day Build Tool Questions***  (Read 2978 times)

jtbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2007, 01:04:59 am
***Updated Labor Day Build Tool Questions***
« on: August 31, 2007, 08:59:02 am »
Hi guys. Everything I read says that for my minimal routing needs, a high quality laminate trimmer will do the job:
1) ryobi corded and craftsman cordless laminate trimmer: identical, good reviews, router handle base - $79
2)Ridgid r2400 - $99, good reviews, it says you can add freud bases
3)Bosch Colt - comes with 3 bases, good reviews, $119

Keep in mind that I am planning to roundover, use flush cut to make sides of cp match, drill button holes, flush mount joystiks, and rear mount trakball.

Is the mortising bit for the drill (button holes), or for the router?

What is the best deal on a circular saw you know of? What blade do I need for mdf?

Are there any more bits i need:
1) straight cut bits: what sizes?
2) mortising bit: what size?
3) roundover bit: What size?
4) Flush cut bit: What size?

Thanks guys!

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
Re: ***Updated Labor Day Build Tool Questions***
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 12:51:10 pm »
If you are building a cab and want to use T-molding then you need a slot cutter bit for your router.  Use a 1/16" cutter for the arbor.  Get a true router not the laminate trimmer machine.  You will thank yourself later.  You can use the router to trim laminate and many other uses.  Where the laminate trimmer machine is basically for trimming laminate only, doesn't have the necessary torque for tougher jobs. 

I would also look for a template colet and a straight cutting or mortising bit.  Look for the template making thread in this forum.  You will like the results much better than trying to do any recess job by freehand.  If you are going to make deep cuts don't try to bite it all off in only one pass.  Make multiple passes for better control.

For your circlular saw do not go supper cheap.  You should also get a 60 tooth or higher blade for cutting MDF.  The 40 tooth are a little to rough.  Also keep in mind that MDF is real hard on cutting blades so they will dull quickly, even your router bits.

For cutting holes for your buttons I would use a spade bit with teeth.  1 1/8" is the proper size for Happs buttons.  These bits would be for a drill not your router.  Oh and use a corded drill not the battery operated ones.  You get more torque and thus cutting power that way.

I hope that is everything.

TTFN
Kaytrim
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:53:23 pm by Kaytrim »

jtbullet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2007, 01:04:59 am
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 12:40:11 am »
Update: Porter Cable Router now in my possession. Porter Cable 690 LR, considered a benchmarkl router in its day, my cost on ebay$50. Not bad, considering the ryobi I was looking at was $90. Came with two bits, wrenches. No fence. Going to get some ply tomorrow. Thinking about making one of those cocktail cabs like they show on the front page.

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2022, 04:56:10 pm
  • warning: drew can't handle my avatar...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 09:15:01 am »
good score on the 690...

that is sooooooooo much better than a laminate trimmer...

:cheers: