Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: **Labor Day CP Build Emergency Advice Needed**  (Read 3404 times)

jtbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2007, 01:04:59 am
**Labor Day CP Build Emergency Advice Needed**
« on: August 30, 2007, 10:27:24 am »
Hi I am building my first cp this weekend. I have all my parts, and a minpac. I want to build a simple desktop box, like an x-arcade, or hot rod. I have no tools. I am trying to figure out the least i need for construction:
mini router(craftsman or ryobi) - use a forstner bit to cut holes and countersink?
Jigsaw
cordless screwdriver

this is going in mdf. Does this sound ok? I need to know what router bits to get.
Thanks,
JT
Oh and does anybody know a good way to draw a curved front edge? I know i can rig a compass string and marker, just wondering if there is something easier.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:39:33 am
Re: **Labor Day CP Build Emergency Advice Needed**
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:40:49 pm »
I think you need to explain more.  Are you putting a trackball on this thing?

In general, I think you should get a full-sized router with a 1/16" slot cutter for t-molding and a pattern bit for making exact cuts with a straight edge.  You should get a dado cutting bit or a straight bit to recess any mounting plates.

You can use the jigsaw to make the curved front and sand to your line or you can set up the router with a jig and a straight bit to make a perfect curve.  I don't know how much room you have in your shop though or what kind of surface area you have because you need a lot of room for something like that.

I'd get a drill and a 1-1/8" forstner bit to cut out the button holes.  Don't forget the clamps to glue up your CP box.  I'm not sure why you think you need a screwdriver unless you plan on screwing the CP box together and using putty for the holes and sanding it down before painting (glue is easier, IMO). 

Do you have a mock-up?

Pops

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2010, 10:33:43 am
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:31:26 pm »
You can make a bow with string and light moulding to get a curve.
Router is a necessity, get a round-over bit and a pattern bit if possible. Get two sizes of straight bit.
The slot cutter is needed for t-moulding but comes in useful for biscuit as well.
Second hand clamps, lots of them.
Glue.
Sandpaper.
Screwdriver, doesn't have to be powered.
Power drill.
Handsaw or jigsaw, I find a handsaw better for straight cuts but the jig is great for curves, bow-saws are too slow.

Enjoy yourself and don't forget safety goggles and dust mask.

jtbullet

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 02:02:04 pm »
Well, I am building only the cp part of my mame shui table. here are some loose renders and some of the original artwork for the cp( to be printed on roland eco-sol solvent vinyl printer, i used to work in the large format print industry). Basically I have a box that drops into a table. Only i want to build the box first so my family can see how fun it will be. I have all of the parts. No wood, no tools. I mentioned the cordless screwdriver cause it is the one tool i have. Should i brace it with 1x1? Only use 90degree angle connectors? Im not using glue, i dont have a good place for it. I solved the curve, I printed a vinyl curve from illustrator to stick on top and freehand it before i rout the edges( though the curve is only for the table top, which is not part of the cp, the cp will drop into the tabel top later) Thanks, going shopping for tools tomorrow.

jtbullet

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 03:32:25 pm »
Can you describe the process of doing straight cuts with a router. Does this mean I dont need a jigsaw or circular saw? Id rather buy a great router if is capable of many jobs, than buy several less than great tools.

scotthh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2012, 10:03:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:48:33 pm »
This thread answers your question.

If I had no woodworking experience and was making a CP to demonstrate how fun it could be and wanted to have it up and running in a weekend, I'd make a rectangular box.
--Buy a circular saw and a drill.
--Get a $5 2'x4' sheet of MDF.
--They should have wood glue where you get the MDF, but if you want to screw it together, you need to drill pilot holes, or it will split.
--Make a saw board so that I could make straight cuts.
--Cut a top, front, back and two sides. If the CP is going to be 2' wide, you already only need to make three cuts and the top front and back are done.
--Use a 1 1/8" drill bit to cut button holes, a hole for the joystick and a hole in the back for the wire to interface with the computer.

You need a jig to make any cuts with a router, straight or curved. It spins at 20,000 RPM and is impossible to hand hold and get acceptable results. Here's a thread on making straight cuts.

The curved cut is not a trivial undertaking, you'll need a jig or a pattern and a pattern bit. You'll probably need to spend a lot of time sanding it too. I'm not saying don't do it, but the curve alone could take you all weekend. See this thread for some really nice woodworking.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:39:33 am
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 04:58:51 pm »
Can you describe the process of doing straight cuts with a router. Does this mean I dont need a jigsaw or circular saw? Id rather buy a great router if is capable of many jobs, than buy several less than great tools.

You can do anything with a router.  Here's how I make perfectly straight cuts.  I still use this method for quick cuts if I don't feel like setting up and calibrating my table saw.

This picture should give you and idea (a pattern bit is installed).  The ball bearing rides along a straight edge and the bit removes the material.

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2012, 03:05:35 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 05:40:25 pm »
I still need one of those pattern bit.  Trying to use a flush trimming bit in place of it is really sometime a pain in the $@$@. 

Ryobi router from Home Depot is nice and cheap and works well for lite for like what you are doing.  Lowes has the arbor and 1/16 router bits that you will need if doing t-molding.  Grab some cheap router bit set for either Sears or Harbor Frieght for the straight bit and flush trimming bit, and etc.  The flush trimming bit will come in very handy if doing plexi.

You will definitely need a circular saw.  You can get by with a jig saw by roughing out the curve or corner that you need and then sand it flush.  But one is recommended.

1 1/8 Forster bit is recommend for drilling hole for button and stick, especially on mdf.

A drill is a must!!!