Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A real 4-way or Oscar restrictor  (Read 2063 times)

knaack

• Trade Count: (0)
A real 4-way or Oscar restrictor
« on: March 20, 2002, 09:02:27 am »
Just one question.  I am stuck between using a 4-way Ms Pacman replacement joystick from Happs or getting the Oscar restrictor plates.  They both are about the same price.

If I get the restrictor plates, does it feel the same as the 4-way joystick?

If yes, then so be it I will get it. With the Super joystick and the restrictor plate.

If no, then I will make a switch with two joystick 8-way and 4-way side by side on the control panel like I saw a diagram on the other post here.   However that raises another issue.  The buttons. You want the buttons on the right side.  What is the most buttons needed in a 4-way joystick game?  The most I can think of is 2, jump and shoot/etc.   Yes, the buttons will be switched like the joystick as it is all the same common wire.  

I am leaning more toward getting the IPac.   I know Andy is making a switchable joystick but when???  I can't wait around for it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: A real 4-way or Oscar restrictor
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2002, 11:00:20 am »
1) Are you using a wood control panel?  the 4way you are talking about will not work with one (without makeing a plate for it, routing it till the wood isn't that strong, or buying a larger joystick shaft)

2) Are you on a limited size control panel?  If so, you might not have room for 3 joysticks (2 8ways and a 4way).  Unless you have a hotswappable control panel of course.

3) Qbert?  interested in the extra restricted plates?

I went with a wico leaf 4way for 10 bucks (but www.videoconnect.com doesn't seem to have them anymore) and I like it.  But I also have hotswappable control panel and it's a 4 player cab... so room was no option.  But I bought 2, one for 4 way games and one for qbert.  So the prices where getting close.

But I also bought mine before the plates came out so the choice was simple.

They both have their advantages.  Both will play nice.  I think the plates with the extra plates will be great!

knaack

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 01:05:30 pm »
I am thinking of getting a IPac and make it look like HotRod setup.   And with the cheap Mircosoft sidewinder gamepad (gameport connector) make that a 4-way setup with buttons on the side.   So it will be two control panels.  One bigger than the other.   I plan to use the IPac with USB not PS2.

But I don't have the money to shell out everything and the time to make the control panels.  I am aware of the 4-way (ms pacman) control needs a metal connector.  I have a friend in sheet metal business.  He can make a small one for me and I can mount that on the small control panel.  As for Qbert, I am thinking that the 4-way metal will be able to lift it off and turn it and remount it on the control panel.  I can figure it out.

I thought if I could save the time and money by getting the restrictor plates but I wanted to make sure that it has the same feel as the real 4-way joystick.  My wife loves ms pacman and qbert as well as other games like frogger.  So there is a need for a 4-way joystick for her.  But some games need 8-way. so that's why I am looking for answers on comparison with the 4-way joystick and the restrictor plates.  

ddebuss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2015, 07:48:10 am
  • Stuck in the 80's
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 03:20:59 pm »
Lilwolf:
In #3 what are you referring to?  Please elaborate.  I'm guessing that Oscar is coming out with additional plates that would work well for only diagonals.  How would that work for Qbert?

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2002, 03:26:09 pm »
Oscar is coming out with horizontal only and Q-bert plates also.

So you can play galaga horizontal only

and

qbert with diagonals only.  This, btw, will probably work well with mame set to with left and up, up and right ect.

ddebuss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2015, 07:48:10 am
  • Stuck in the 80's
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2002, 03:47:38 pm »
Sweet.  I can't wait.  I'll have to order the whole set...

Smack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2013, 11:40:41 pm
  • Who changed my avatar?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2002, 08:18:44 pm »
I had a Ms. Pac-Man 4 way on my panel and later removed it and put in the Oscar Plates. It does feel a little different, but it plays mint. After not playing the realy 4 way for month or so, the restrictor panels feel normal.

Smack
Never Let Donkey Kong Use Your Toilet.
(We're talkin' big processed brown bananas...)

Somebody out there stole my sig! LOL