Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: gentoo / advancemame fresh install  (Read 29663 times)

MotorHedJr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2015, 06:25:45 am
  • Christmas everyday!!!
Re: gentoo / advancemame fresh install
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2008, 02:02:02 pm »
Hi Rock and all,

I have done a new Linux install on my cab basically following the same guidelines as your install instructions, here are the specs:

O/S: (Gentoo 2007.1)
kernel: (Linux i686 2.6.12.3)
emu: AdvMAME v0.106.0
fe: AdvMENU v2.4.13
proc: AMD Athlon 1.73 GHz
v-card: nVidia Riva TNT2 AGP Video Card
s-card: Ensoniq Audio PCI (1371/1373 Chipset)

There are a few issues w/ certain games.  Has anyone seen these same behaviors?

Game:   Altered Beast
Rom:   altbeast
Issue:   Game is unplayable:  Monsters freeze, the background scrolling forward is slowed to 2/3 pixels sec.

Game:   Gorf
Rom:   gorf
Issue:   Game is unplayable:  Players ship moves much, much slower than in previous versions I have played; nearly impossible to clear even 1st board -- Astro Battles.

Game:   Sokonuke Taisen Game
Rom:   sokonuke
Issue:   Game is unplayable:  Game restarts after first few seconds of play.

Game:   Vasara
Rom:   vasara
Issue:   Game is unplayable:  AdvMAME launches the game, but game never starts.  (Works fine in same setup as above w/ Matrox G400 video card)

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed and informative AdvMAME/MENU Gentoo install guide – It is very much appreciated!!!

Regards,

MotorHed Jr.

Arbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 12:36:54 pm
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2008, 06:27:42 pm »
Most if not all of those are simply issues those drivers had in 0.106, either outright bugs or they weren't finished then.  Eventually the people who've managed to get real tweekmodes working on fbdev with SDLMAME will show their work and all this will go away ;-)

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2013, 06:51:45 pm
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 12:28:11 pm »
Eventually the people who've managed to get real tweekmodes working on fbdev with SDLMAME will show their work and all this will go away ;-)
Arbee - for those interested in this path (myself included) - can you post any links, etc.?

MotorHedJr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2015, 06:25:45 am
  • Christmas everyday!!!
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 04:14:17 pm »
Hello,

Yes I realize this topic hasn't been posted in some time. Anyway, following MHR's tutorial here, I was able to build a fantastic Linux based AdvMAME cabinet that was the best cab I ever built.

Sadly, the HD (was an old IDE) passed the other day so I am attempting to re-create using modern hardware.
On a quick note, I had forgotten how old/obsolete the HW actually was (1st generation Athlon, AGP card, IDE slots on the mobo, no SATA etc.).

I am trying to install AdvMAME 0.106.0 on current HW. I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 w/ kernel 2.6.22. Just trying to get the install to work on an old VGA monitor before I even think of trying a PCI card.

I've gotten svgalib to compile and inserted the module.
I've compiled advmame using the '--enable-svgalib' option.

When I launch a game in the console, (get there by ctrl-alt-F1). It looks like the game is going to launch but then the screen goes black and it appears that AdvMAME is 'stuck'. The only way to exit is ctrl-c or escape. :banghead: I put the Horizontal frequency 31.5 and the Vertical frequency 50-130 in the svgalib config file. Advmame.rc has 10-110/31.5/50-130 clock values as well.

When I try to run 'advv' or 'advcfg' I get the 'No text modes available error'. So then last night I installed slang and still no good.

Re-reading the docs I'm wondering that I should check that SDL is installed and enable that option in the advmame compile.

I'll post a log tomorrow, but I just wanted to reach out and see if any of the Linux gurus are there... Calling out MHR, Whammoed, Elvis, et al. Help!!! Has anyone built an AdvMAME cabinet with a PCI type video card? :dunno

Thanks for looking at my post.
-MH Jr.