Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: no0b project started!  (Read 2537 times)

Vertekal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2003, 06:40:56 pm
  • Got Wood?
    • I Am Not A Geek
no0b project started!
« on: April 28, 2003, 04:58:05 pm »
I just purchaed a USB Ipac from ultimarc.com, and 2 8-way joysticks and 20 buttons from Xgaming on Ebay.

I decided to go with a 2 player setup for right now .. just simple stuff till I get the hang out it, or feel the need to go to 4 player or add spinners and trackballs. I'll probably have 6 action buttons per player, which should work for stuff like Street Fighter, Mortak Kombat, etc etc

I'm still not 100% sure what I want to use as a monitor. I'm keeping my eye out for a mid sized TV with S-video, or a large computer monitor. I don't plan to spend a lot of cash on it.

If I really get into this, I'll probably upgrade to some good rotary joysticks so I can play Heavy Barrel and Tron, and maybe go to a 4 player setup (I really like the SlikStik quad setup!)

One quick question .. I see on the Ipac that the wires just screw into place .. on the switches, are they soldered or just have some type of connectors?

Thanks!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re:no0b project started!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 10:37:40 pm »
To attach to most switches use .187 inch insulated quick disconnects.  These crimp on your wire and slide onto the spade lugs that are on the switches.

BobA

Vertekal

• Offline Offline
  • Got Wood?
    • I Am Not A Geek
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 03:47:51 pm »
Great! Thanks!

Vertekal

• Offline Offline
  • Got Wood?
    • I Am Not A Geek
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 06:55:34 pm »
The Xgaming stuff arrived today (2 8-way sticks and 20 buttons) and look ok to me. I put one of the sticks together real quick, and it feels pretty solid and has good response.

It also looks like it can be converted to a 4-way stick by flipping over a plastic cylinder at the very bottom of the shaft .. the part that actuates the switches. Flipped one way the plastic piece is wider and can push 2 switches at once, but flipped around the other way it's thinner, and can only press one switch at a time. If you rotate the joystick from left to up or down, the 1st switch is released before the 2nd is pressed.

Anyway, I don't know if that's how a true 4-way stick works. From what I read about other sticks there's some type of template that shifts, and actually restricts stick movement.

Zeitgeist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2013, 05:57:51 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 08:53:03 pm »
Right,
The X-Arcade sticks are pretty close copies of Happ's Super sticks.
I have a pair, but haven't put them to use yet.
The buttons are holding up pretty well so far.
As you have figured the X-Arcade sticks are really 8 ways.
A true 4 way stick has a diamond or curved cross type of restrictor cut out that prevents any diagonal movements.
Hope this helps to clear things up.
Z ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2003, 08:55:31 pm by Zeitgeist »
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Vertekal

• Offline Offline
  • Got Wood?
    • I Am Not A Geek
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 09:09:13 am »
I think after I get the 2 8-ways wired up, I'm going to get a single 4 way.

Vertekal

• Offline Offline
  • Got Wood?
    • I Am Not A Geek
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 11:34:43 am »
The Ipac arrived today but I won't get to see it until I get home from work.

For anyone interested, I ordered it online on April 28th, and it arrived today, May 5th (that's with standard (read: cheapest) shipping)