Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ArcadeVGA causing slow boot up....  (Read 914 times)

8way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2017, 05:52:21 am
  • This is my BOOM stick!
ArcadeVGA causing slow boot up....
« on: August 16, 2007, 06:46:25 am »
Anyone experience slow boot ups after installing an ArcadeVGA (AGP)? I’ve installed couple in the past with no problems at all. But that’s not the case this time. The board its having a problem with is an Asus A8V + Opteron 165. Tried different video cards in it all with no problems. But soon as I install the AVGA and boot up, it becomes horribly slow. The startup time with any video card other then the AVGA is about 10-15sec total. Know with the AVGA it takes almost 2min to startup. I tested it several times switching the cards back and forth and each time the same slow down with the AVGA. The AVGA works fine once its booted, windows seems fine too. So its only affecting the bootup time. Has anyone experienced this before?

The Chugnut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2008, 04:20:01 am
Re: ArcadeVGA causing slow boot up....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 09:13:43 am »
Hey man,

Have you tried Bootvis (assuming you're using XP)? No.11 in this list.

My mate had a Asus AV8 mobo that came with his Alienware machine. I know it's not the same model, it's just a similar problem.  :-\
His machine can take up to 5 minutes to boot - it seems to just sit on the animated Windows XP screen. He brought his PC round to mine for a repair of something completely different yet still motherboard related, and I borrowed his graphics card to do an SLI setup on my machine and stuck an old nVidia card in there for the time being. The boot time dropped to 30 seconds! I then tested it on an old ATI card, and again, 30 second boot. I then tried my graphics card, which is exactly the same model as his, which boots fine with my mobo, and it went back to a 5 minute boot again.

Where am I going with this?  :blah: It was just a freak incompatibility that I couldn't solve, even after flashing the mobo bios and trying different driver revisions. At that time I'd never heard of Bootvis, so I don't know what it would have shown.

Chuggers
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:17:07 am by The Chugnut »

8way

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2017, 05:52:21 am
  • This is my BOOM stick!
Re: ArcadeVGA causing slow boot up....
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 07:04:34 pm »
Tried Bootvis, and it still the same. Can you guys that are using socket 939 motherboard with AVGA and having no problems list what boards your using.