Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 15 KHZ video cards  (Read 2530 times)

david6768

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2007, 10:14:49 pm
15 KHZ video cards
« on: August 15, 2007, 10:58:17 pm »
I was just reading the soft 15 thread and was curious. From the reading that I have done it seems to me (I am no expert) that all Ultimarc did to turn a Radeon 9200 into the ArcadeVGA was to modify the bios of the video card. I frequent the computer modding web sites and there are several bios upgrades to turn Geforce cards into Quadro cards and Radeon 9600's into the fire Gl cards etc etc. Why has no one other than Ultimarc  came up with simple bios updates to turn the more popular cards into arcade cards. The cards that soft 15 works on are capable of displaying the arcade resolutions so all it would take is an arcade bios for the video cards and there would be no more need for ArcadeVga or soft 15. I for one would love to be able to pick up a $30 Radeon 9200 on EBay and convert it into a 15 kHz card, or even better a Geforce 7900 Gt. I know the option is there thanks to the author of soft 15 , I am just looking at the other options that are possible.

esaelectrionics

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2013, 01:05:50 pm
Re: 15 KHZ video cards
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 06:23:52 am »
I have seen on another forum that someone
was making a custom 15khz bios, it was on toms hardware, he kept going on about selling
this bios but dont know what happened, he didnt post many more times and if you wanted to sell it, i rekon it wouldnt be long before the law suits landed, but it is possible to do.

I would think its not that easy because more people would be doing it if it was.
It would be great to be able to mod any card to 15khz, it is allready possible to mod most ati 9200 by copying the ultimarc bios and hacking it but you dont get that good results because the output frequencies get messed up a bit , so its hardly worth messing about, also andy at ultimarc gives very good support, its only about £50 for avga. Advancemame works the best for me under Dos with matrox G400, but its good to have options.

Arcadevga is a great product,i have an arcadevga 2.0 but prefer the output quality of older ati and matrox cards,its just a little bit nicer!, i have just ordered an old arcadevga7000 off someone on ebay,  just to check out the difference.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:55:49 am by esaelectrionics »