Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Holy Crap - My Router Rocks!  (Read 2892 times)

hedge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2003, 10:49:00 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Holy Crap - My Router Rocks!
« on: April 23, 2003, 10:46:47 pm »
Sorry - this isn't really a topic for discussion.  I just tested out my brand new router and 1/16" slotter bit for the first time and couldn't believe how great it works!

I tested in on a scrap piece of mdf and cut the 1/16" slot perfectly.  Straight, smooth and dead center!  It's one powerful tool - I can see me losing a finger at some point though.

Now I just need to find another use for my $250 toy...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2003, 10:47:21 pm by hedge »

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
Re:Holy Crap - My Router Rocks!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 11:00:53 pm »
Er, thanks for the product endorsement!

(Dude, which router did you get?)

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 11:11:43 pm »
Sorry - this isn't really a topic for discussion.  I just tested out my brand new router and 1/16" slotter bit for the first time and couldn't believe how great it works!

I tested in on a scrap piece of mdf and cut the 1/16" slot perfectly.  Straight, smooth and dead center!  It's one powerful tool - I can see me losing a finger at some point though.

Now I just need to find another use for my $250 toy...

Actually, a router is one of those tools that the more you use it, the more uses you find for it.  When you acquire a few accessories and various bits, you will find that you can do nearly anything you want with it.  On my latest cabinet, I never used a saw once.  I did everything with my drill and router.  It was more of a "just to see if I could do it" kind of thing, but I would do it again.  I even made all my pushbutton holes with the router and a circle jig...  :)

In the future if you need to pick up some more bits or accessories for your router, I recommend www.leevalley.com.  I have purchased more router bits than I care to admit, and I can say that the router bits from Lee Valley are the best I've used and very reasonably priced.

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2006, 07:43:02 pm
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 01:57:38 pm »
After using a router to make my cabinet i now wonder how anyone ever built anything without one.  They are just SO useful.

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 06:57:14 pm »
So hey, this seems like a good thread to ask: Any recommendations for a good not-too-expensive router?  I'm leaning toward Ryobi unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Also, what are good bits to get?  I know about the slot-cutting one, but what others are essential?  OSCAR, which bit did you use to cut your wood?  (Oh yeah, and for cutting plexi/lexan - straight cuts and hole cuts?)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2003, 07:01:51 pm by Sasquatch! »

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 11:16:04 pm »
Other than a slot cutting bit, the other most important bits I find are a regular straight bit (item # 16J04.58 on www.leevalley.com) and a straight template bit (item # 16J10.08).  The template bit is very handy because you can just set up a fence or guide and buzz around it because the bearing follows the profile of the guide.  I also use these same straight bits for cutting plexi.

For the holes I use a single flute 1/4" bit (item # 16J04.04) because that is what the circle jig (46J91.03 ) is designed for.

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2003, 12:17:19 am »
I don't even own a router - muchless know how to use one - so this is all news to me.  Thanks, OSCAR!

AceTKK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2011, 01:14:48 am
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2003, 02:47:12 am »
Porter Cable is the #1 name in consumer-level routers.  You can get a nice used on off of e-bay for $100-$150.  You can count on passing it down to your kids.  

-Ace-
I want my own arcade controls!

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2003, 01:31:34 pm »
I've got a Sears brand rotary tool that came with a router attachment.  Never used it, but would love to.  Anyone have any experience with it?

hedge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2003, 10:49:00 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2003, 09:50:59 pm »
Er, thanks for the product endorsement!

(Dude, which router did you get?)

I picked up a Porter Cable with a 1/2" collet.  Forget the exact model - but got a good deal at HD.  Very sturdy tool.  A friend at work recommended it.