Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Printing Chapter 6 joystick/button templates at proper size?  (Read 9427 times)

Sir Auros

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2012, 12:13:00 pm
    • The Transformers Archive
Ok, I've read up to three pages of posts in this forum about printing the pics in a size that would make them useful as templates, but I still can't get it to work. I tried using MS Paint and telling it to print the Happ Ultimate joystick template to actual size and I still have it showing up as 4 9/16" when it should be 3.6".

Would I have an easier time if I reinstalled Photoshop or the paint program that came with the CD?

EDIT - Also, I love this book and I've had it since my birthday in 2005 and have enjoyed reading, skimming, and planning my MAME cabinet several times since then.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
Re: Printing Chapter 6 joystick/button templates at proper size?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 12:05:01 am »
In MS paint, make sure its printing at the correct DPI.  I believe its supposed to be 125.  I'm running on windows vista now, so it's probably a little different in the XP version of paint, but you should be able to set it in the "page setup" options.

And last I checked, photoshop could not print out at actual size (not easily at least), I don't know about the paint program that came with the cd though.

Sir Auros

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2012, 12:13:00 pm
    • The Transformers Archive
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 12:41:11 am »
I'm in Vista too and I can't find where to set the DPI. It's not under the page setup menu.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 01:07:51 am »
Heh, ya in vista it just says what percentage do you want to print it out at instead of letting you change the actual dpi.  I assumed printing out at 100% scale in vista would of printed at the correct size (which is why I also assumed you were using XP), but I guess not.  Unfortunately the only other ideas I have are to play around with the % scale setting until its close enough to accurate or to have kinkos print them out for you for around $5.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 01:16:53 am »
Hmm, I just noticed that most of the files in the template folder are 96 dpi and only the blank control panel pieces are 125 dpi.  You can see what it is by right click, going to properties, then the details tab.

If you just printing out the individual pieces, then you can load them into another photo program (like photoshop) and then change the dpi to 125.  They should then print out fine in MS paint.

edit* you could also try printing out at 76.8%    (96/125 = 0.768)
edit #2* seems you can't put a decimal in the scale setting, so you should probably try to change the dpi in another program.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 01:20:19 am by AtomSmasher »