Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: J-PAC NEWBIE Question!  (Read 2282 times)

Scott

• Trade Count: (0)
J-PAC NEWBIE Question!
« on: March 22, 2002, 09:14:39 pm »
I have a question since i am a newb.

Let me get this straight, I have a cabinet with an arcade monitor and control panel and all i have to do is hook up the j-pac to it to hook it up to my computer?

The j-pac will let me hook up the arcade monitor to the computer?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Scott

Re: J-PAC NEWBIE Question!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2002, 06:58:59 pm »
someone please help me!  :'(

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2002, 07:08:16 pm »
As far as I know, you need a graphic card capable of the right horizontal frequenties, but don't ask me further details, for I haven't got an arcade-monitor.

The Jpac is a very good idea 'cause it prevents your graphicscard from damaging your monitor, but it won't help you if your graphicscard can't support the special needs of the arcade-monitor.

Henrik

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2002, 11:25:27 pm »
What graphics card do you intend do use?

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2002, 11:35:27 pm »
I have a question since i am a newb.

Let me get this straight, I have a cabinet with an arcade monitor and control panel and all i have to do is hook up the j-pac to it to hook it up to my computer?

The j-pac will let me hook up the arcade monitor to the computer?

If it is a jamma cab.
You will still have to have a video card capable of outputting the correct signal for the arcade monitor though.

Agent Davis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2008, 04:14:41 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2002, 11:53:04 pm »
IF your arcade cabinet has a jamma connector you can hook your computer straight to the arcade monitor using a JPac.  However, to actually run anything on the arcade monitor you need either software that'll set the right frequency and/or use a card that is capable of the right frequencies.

If you want to run Mame one option is to just boot your computer straight into ArcadeOS through DOS and ArcadeOS will set the right frequency if configured correctly in arcadeos.cfg (incab=1).  Go to www.arcadeos.com for the frontend.  Many cards are supported but you should check the support list.  You can also use AdvanceMenu which is another front-end that does the same.  Many people also choose to use AdvanceMame which is a version of Mame optimized for arcade monitors.

An alternative option is to use a video card that can natively output the right frequencies.  One such option and one that is frequently used is a Trident Blade 3d card.  With this card you can actually run Windows on your arcade monitor.  If you want as little hassle as possible this may be the solution for you.

Decide what you would like to do and then search the site and the message board archives for as much help as possible before asking anything else.  Nobody minds the questions, but most of them can be answered by first searching the site.

AD