Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Plastic wood"  (Read 2499 times)

Justin Z

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 10:53:05 am
"Plastic wood"
« on: June 15, 2007, 07:46:51 pm »
I had this product

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=69

called Plastic Wood recommended to me to repair damage to the MDF at the bottom corner of my cabinet where it touches the ground.  Based on these pics, would you agree that it might do a good job at patching the damage?  I could then cover the affected area with a Happ's corner protector.

Thanks.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
Re: "Plastic wood"
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:45:52 pm »
Bondo is commonly used for larger damaged areas/corners like yours. Its very strong, and also easy to work with.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 09:51:12 pm »
Found a couple of images from when I did a corner repair with Bondo. I used stiff cardboard to keep the edges straight, then sanded it flat.

ScottS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 03:01:32 am »
I've used plastic wood once or twice and found it to be a bit of a pain to work with. SculpWood is actually a bit easier to deal with, especially if you can't create a form/edge like TOK used. If you can figure out how to keep the edges straight, Bondo is another great way to go.

Unfortunately, corners take a ton of abuse and none of these products are really up to it. Even with a corner protector, I would expect that you'll end up repairing the corner again down the road. A repair with wood would be more permanent, but also quite a bit more work. The idea is that you'd enlarge the cut and square it up with a saw. Then you'd cut a piece of wood that exactly matched what was missing and attach it to the cabinet using glue, screws, and glue blocks. If there were any small gaps between the patch and the original corner, you could fill them with Bondo, SculpWood, or anything else you happen to have around.