Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade/Pinball Transformer concept  (Read 3503 times)

dshickman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2009, 10:33:28 pm
Arcade/Pinball Transformer concept
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:28:24 pm »
I was thinking earlier today about how I could save space in my house and still have and arcade and pinball machine. Initially, I though I could just make miniature versions with all the functionality of full sized machine. I like this idea, because having mini arcades or virtual pinball machines is just crazy awesome. I plan on having a game room one day, in the not so distant future( I hope...), but for right now, i want to use my house more efficiently.

Then it came to me. Why not build a arcade cab that is also a virtual pinball machine. A cabinet that has both built into the same cabinet. If i want to play an arcade game i put the cab in an upright position, and if i want to play a pinball game, i rotate it to the pinball position.

I spent the next few hours modeling the concept, and here is what i came up with...

Tell me what you think. And if you want to use these pics for inspiration to build your own, by all means, build away.
Oh, and if anybody has built something like this already, let me know, i would really love to see them

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
Re: Arcade/Pinball Transformer concept
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:30:39 pm »
that is a really unique and cool idea. I think it'll work. Just gotta make sure everything is mounted 100%.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:59:15 pm »
Very creative.

I'm not quite the believer that Gatsu is (cabs are heavy, even when you use plywood and LCDs), but I would be interested in seeing somebody try.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

bartre

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2018, 08:56:46 pm
  • I'm hesitating... again.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:15:54 pm »
i like it, but i'm also with jeffo.
cabs weigh a ton, you'd need more support than just those two A braces.
also you'd have to think of how to mount everything so it wouldn't budge.
maybe the support question could be answered by some braces that simply snap into the frame when in the upright, but when you decide to go into pinball mode, you pull them out?

dshickman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:38:03 pm »
I would build the A-frame legs out of tube steel, and have a bar going through the cab to connect the two, using high quality bearings for smooth, stiff rotation. i would also use 5/8" plywood as the building material for the cab, and metal(preferable angle iron) for the monitor brackets.  It would not be that much heavier than a 72" full size arcade with a 27" crt arcade monitor. One person wouldnt be able to pick it up though, no doubt about that.

Actually, i could just buy some lcd wall mounts( the stationary kind) and that would secure them to the cab nicely.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:15:04 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 07:41:56 pm »
I like it too,  but as the guys say, your design will be all about supporting the weight and being rigid enough in either position.  I really like this from an engineering challenge perspective, I'm already seeing some big solid bearings at the pivot and a welded steel frame for the braces, your drawing suggests steel for the frame (I wouldn't even think about it in wood).  As bartre says drop down supports would be needed in either positon. Unless the braces have a very tight fit at the pivot you will get lateral (side to side) movement as well.  Having said all that, I could see some heavy (and I mean HEAVY) duty braces and pivot design which lock in either position supporting a cab just as your design suggests without anything else.  Everything else in the design is secondary to stability in this case I think.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 08:56:58 pm »
looks like a very cool cabinet, if you can pull it off.  there are alot of chalenges, mainly stability issues, plus there is the cost factor..from the plans, i see 3 monitors, one of which is not small.  dont forget that just about every cab project costs about twice what you will plan on.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

dshickman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 10:46:28 pm »
I figure it will cost about $2000 in all, thats calculated from using midrange components and and extra $500 for unforseen expenses. Im pretty good at finding deals ;)

I have been thinking about the legs, and i think machined aluminum or steel is the way to go. Also, adding a connecting bar to the two feet of the legs will stiffen them up alot. But paying someone to machine metal costs a good bit, so ill see if i can get some one to hook me up:)

But all of that aside, this is a massive undertaking. It would take a lot of time and effort to complete. I dont have the funds right now, but that will come later. Now, all i can do is refine the design, and do research do get past the design challenges im sure to run into.

Dizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2014, 05:28:04 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 11:58:00 pm »
I definitely like the concept.

Have you given any thought to having the pinball playfield fold out of the front of the cab instead? (and then use the arcade's monitor as the backglass).  That might be more practical than rotating the entire cab.

dshickman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 12:18:53 am »
thats a great idea, ill think about it :applaud:

dshickman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 01:00:18 am »
Thanks Dizzle for the idea, here are some quick changes to the design.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 01:16:35 am »
Mix that new front folding pinball monitor idea with a rotating control panel method, that way the joysticks won't be in the way in pinball mode. Since the pinball monitor is going to rotate at least 90 degres, you should be able to do it easily (at least on paper).

You could have folding panels in the front to hide and protect the pinball monitor when the cabinet is in arcade mode.

And I also see the arcade marquee being rotated 180 degres to hide it when the cabinet is in pinball mode, sort of like those "James Bond" license plates. :D

Last, I would install the pinball part of the machine on some sort of gas springs/pistons/whatever that serve to both hold the thing in place when playing pinball and protect the whole thing when closing it so that it doesn't come crashing down.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:12:39 pm by Yvan256 »

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 10:02:06 am »
this whole thing is very cool
if you go with the LCD pin table in the front
you'll defiantly need something to protect it, and it would look cooler hidden anyway

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2024, 11:25:23 am
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 12:16:55 pm »
You people are crazy.   :dizzy:

I love it.

dafelandry

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2012, 12:08:40 pm
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 12:28:33 pm »
Removable cover of sumsort for the VP feild monitor..... that concept is mind blowing! sounds expensive but AHH the possibilities!!!

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 01:34:46 pm »
I like the rotating cab idea alot, but, I'm guessing it'd be awfully tough to get it sturdy enough for use. Plus it doesn't leverage the arcade screen very well when in Pinball mode.

The second design seems to have a lot more promise, but benders right, an LCD down there at foot level is just begging to get kicked in. A false front door with a fake coin mech, double hinged to swing around to the side and out of the way would fix that.

The idea definitely has some legs!

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 01:43:07 pm »
The idea definitely has some legs!

But only when it's in pinball mode.  ;)

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 02:01:30 pm »
Love it :)

I think the second idea is the better one. You would have to have the machine a far way from the wall when in 'arcade mode' and it may look a little strange. I think the second should be easier to pull off too.

I agree with protecting the pinball screen when not in use. I imagine it would be quite heavy to pull out even manually but it would be cool if you could have it swing out at the push of a button with some kind of heavy duty actuator(s) or some kind of radial rack and pinion.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 02:07:22 pm »

The second design seems to have a lot more promise, but benders right, an LCD down there at foot level is just begging to get kicked in. A false front door with a fake coin mech, double hinged to swing around to the side and out of the way would fix that.

Good idea. A simple door to protect the pinball monitor.

I was always a huge fan of Monster garage (back when they actually tried to make stuff appear stock), so your idea is really sweet!

As for supporting the VP table, double jointed swing out legs. Every hideway ironing board table in the world has them!

I have another idea though for you to consider:
Imagine hinging the control panel. Unlock the control panel and drop it down just like most metal arcade CP's. Then you would grab a handle on the front of the VP table and pull it up and out of the CP area. Once all the way out, it swings down into place.
This design would solve your safety issue, and would solve the awkward hinging action to get the swing out VP table around the in-place control panel.

Dudeman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2023, 06:30:25 pm
  • Ecky ecky ecky ecky P'Tang! Zoop-boing mmmzoesm...
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 02:37:42 pm »
Sweet idea. How about flipping that VP field monitor around the other way so when it is stored it isn't facing out. the pinball buttons and plunger could be hidden behind / underneath the arcade CP. Viewed from the side, the plunger would be at the top, the playfield monitor closest to the floor would ride upwards in tracks to lock at the top close to the arcade CP. i wish I had my CAD program with me to mock something up.

dshickman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 08:54:58 pm »
I was thinking of putting a sheet of tempered glass over the monitor to protect it from dust and scratches. That should also protect if from minor bumps from feet.

Shardian's idea is even better though. The pinball part of the cab would be hidden completely using his idea, and would be protected as well.

Using the hinged legs of an ironing board is also a great idea.

:applaud: you guys are loads of help  :applaud:

Dudeman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2023, 06:30:25 pm
  • Ecky ecky ecky ecky P'Tang! Zoop-boing mmmzoesm...
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 09:01:47 am »
Oops... Sorry Shardian. I guess I should have read through your post before suggesting the same thing!

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 09:30:53 am »
Very interesting dshickman.

I've been toying with a similar idea to be able to play horizontal, upright and pinball.
My idea revolves around screen rotation and screen angling. But of course, we'd like to have our cake and eat it too so I need to have the pinball score board. That's where the idea starts to get frankenscreenlike. I still plan to pursue something in the near future, but await my second wind.

Good luck with that design!
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy