Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

How many ya got?

None and happy
22 (26.8%)
None but still deciding
2 (2.4%)
None but plan to or are currently trying
6 (7.3%)
16 (19.5%)
24 (29.3%)
8 (9.8%)
2 (2.4%)
5+ (how do you have time for message boards?)
0 (0%)
Bun in the oven
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: POLL: Kids  (Read 7590 times)

Chris G

• Well then throw me in a dress and call me Sally
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 04:39:59 pm
  • Robotron in progress? I'm on my way.
POLL: Kids
« on: June 07, 2007, 01:25:32 pm »
We've been wrestling with this decision for quite a while, so just curious about you all.  Feel free to write or just vote... whateva.

And I know families are complicated these days (step kids, adopted, separate houses, etc) so define your answer however you choose (but pets don't count).

Also, I set it up so you can vote twice in case you already have kids + more on the way.

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
Re: POLL: Kids
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 01:47:42 pm »
None and I'm happy with none, but the wife occasionally gets the itch...35yrs old (both of us)

MustardTent

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2015, 12:14:02 pm
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:56:27 pm »
I always used to think that it was weird to ask "are you trying?" because it boils down to: "are you having sex?".  But, my wife and I have been trying for a year now, and I've learned that when you start dealing with fertility issues, any subject is fair game.

So, I can say without embarrassment: We're trying!

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:02:41 pm »

Maybe you need Congress to authorize your invasion forces.

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 02:07:06 pm »
I've got two. Both were conceived while we were on a trip away from home.  :banghead: I have since vowed to never have vacation sex again.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 02:10:44 pm »

Does your wife know?

nostrebor

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 02:16:06 pm »
Shhhhhhh!

bleargh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:34:07 pm
  • ribbit...
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 02:30:38 pm »
We've been wrestling with this decision for quite a while, so just curious about you all.  Feel free to write or just vote... whateva.

Got two boys, and although they're a handful at times they're also waaayyy more fun then I'd ever imagined.  Had I known it was going to be this much fun I'd have had kids years ago.

Sure, its a complete total absolute disruption to your life and everything you think you wanted to be doing (for several years), but they're also a blast.  Now, if only I could convince my wife that we should have a third...

Chris G

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:31:34 pm »
Chad, stop harrassing the customers.  :P

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 02:32:43 pm »
Sure, its a complete total absolute disruption to your life and everything you think you wanted to be doing (for several years), but they're also a blast.

It's not a disruption, it's a change.  It's not like you're going to go back to having no kids.

Glaine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2013, 12:09:17 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 03:14:35 pm »
Sure, its a complete total absolute disruption to your life and everything you think you wanted to be doing (for several years), but they're also a blast.
It's not a disruption, it's a change.  It's not like you're going to go back to having no kids.
Well, you can't keep chasing them around with a coat hanger but you can always setup a camping accident or something. Think possitive!

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 03:21:10 pm »
I've got 3. 2 boys and 1 girl. For those of you that don't have any children, be prepared to start sacrificing on the toys you love. Don't get me wrong kids are great, but boy are they expensive. I used to upgrade at least once a year and now it's once every 2-3 years. My big screen 1080P TV keeps being moved to the back of the queue. You've got to love em though.  :)
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

ClubNinja

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2010, 12:46:02 pm
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 03:26:09 pm »
I used to upgrade at least once a year and now it's once every 2-3 years.

Say it isn't so.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 03:52:02 pm »
I've got 3. 2 boys and 1 girl. For those of you that don't have any children, be prepared to start sacrificing on the toys you love. Don't get me wrong kids are great, but boy are they expensive. I used to upgrade at least once a year and now it's once every 2-3 years. My big screen 1080P TV keeps being moved to the back of the queue. You've got to love em though.  :)

Definitely sacrificing, sometimes literally.

About 3 years ago, my now 7YO son wanted to watch a DVD. He put it in, changed the video to DVD, but somehow managed to switch the audio to something else (with no active signal). He turned up the volume. Then he turned it up a little more. Repeat until volume is at infinity. Then he looked at the receiver and saw that the audio setting was not on DVD, so he pressed DVD ... at least it was loud enough that he won't ever do it again.

The next week, I replaced that nice receiver (which survived and is safely tucked away downstairs) with a cheap unit geared for stupid abuse (I traded an old microwave for it, so nothing out of pocket) and his twin sister did exactly the same thing.

The third kid never got a chance ... audio through TV only until I upgrade once I get my HD ... hey, Father's Day is coming ...

Cheers.

Oh ... that was 3 kids ... 7YO B/G and 4YO B.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 04:28:33 pm »
I used to upgrade at least once a year and now it's once every 2-3 years.

Say it isn't so.

Seriously, upgrading kids gets expensive.

Apollo

• Yes You Can Have A Custom Title
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 10:49:02 pm
    • Eight Bells
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 04:32:54 pm »
I'm 38 as is my wife. We have been married 12 years. We have no children and never will. This is a choice not something that has been forced on us. I got married to spend time with the woman I love not a whole bunch of other people and frankly I have better things to do with my time and money than raise a bunch of kids (quite apart from the fact that it is extremely environmentally unfriendly to be breeding so much given the earths limited resources). In my opinion the people I see having kids don't really think about it too much they seem to think 'well ok now I'm married I guess the next thing to do is have kids' like it's some sort of law.
Glad to see you are putting some thought in to this decision.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 04:44:58 pm »
I'm 38 as is my wife. We have been married 12 years. We have no children and never will. This is a choice not something that has been forced on us. I got married to spend time with the woman I love not a whole bunch of other people and frankly I have better things to do with my time and money than raise a bunch of kids (quite apart from the fact that it is extremely environmentally unfriendly to be breeding so much given the earths limited resources). In my opinion the people I see having kids don't really think about it too much they seem to think 'well ok now I'm married I guess the next thing to do is have kids' like it's some sort of law.

While I certainly respect the choice (a number of my friends and family have made the same choice), I find the rest of your statement ridiculous.

I didn't get married to have kids  ... we had kids to have kids. You speak as if those with kids can't understand the connection you have with your wife. Lots of us probably do (hey, that's why I married her).

You, OTOH, can't understand the connection that we have with our kids. I DON'T have anything better to do with my time and money than care for my kids. I bet I'm not alone.

I don't expect everybody to feel the way that I do, but please spare us the 'extreme environmental' stupidity -- kids are more environmentally friendly than a car and I bet you have more than one of those ...

bleargh

• Offline Offline
  • ribbit...
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 04:52:50 pm »
I DON'T have anything better to do with my time and money than care for my kids. I bet I'm not alone.

Awww, you're such a nice dad Cheffo.  ;D

I'm with ya, though.... wouldn't trade them for the world, and everything takes second place to the kids.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 04:55:30 pm »

Well, they DO love to play in the arcade (and they can't break the cabinets) ...  ;)

nostrebor

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 06:10:59 pm »
Kids are awesome! I enjoy them more than anything else life has thrown at me. I chose to have them and when to have them. I chose to stop at two. It was not a prerequisite of marriage, presumed or otherwise.

bleargh

• Offline Offline
  • ribbit...
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 06:32:10 pm »

Well, they DO love to play in the arcade (and they can't break the cabinets) ...  ;)

Mine haven't quite figured out what the big thing is in the basement yet, other than its got "dads whizzy ball" in the middle of the panel.  I still laugh at my 3yr olds first words when we brought the cabinet home.... "Dad! Dad! Plug it in! Plug it in!".  Had no idea what it was, but ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, its gotta be cool if its that big...

Naru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2007, 12:01:34 am
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 06:50:06 pm »
None and Happy!
Watched all my friends get married
and have kids right out of High School.
That was years ago, but it showed
me a life I didn't want.
Sex carries a price tag I can't afford,
not when there's so many arcade games
I haven't got yet.

shorthair

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 07:28:31 pm »

HAHAHAH.

nostrebor: when I was in my Humanities I class, we were learning about the greeks and all. At one point I said, '...so, since they were really big on chastity, how did they preserve it?' He said they were big into a-...um, alternative sex. I said, 'Oh Really?' I think that made various impressions with the females in the class.

naru: I re-emphasise what I just said to nostrebor.

Nun fo meee. Same for the marriage and living together thing. I enjoy being able to do whatever I want whenever I want. (...even that last is something difficult cos my way of house-keeping, though attempted by those I've been in relationship with, hasn't quite been succesfully adhered to.) People of any age can be fascinating and enjoyable, but it's better they have their own space to mill in.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:38:40 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 07:31:28 pm »
Having kids is the best thing I've ever done with my life, best decision I ever made.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 07:41:10 pm »
None and happy, but I'm only 23 so I think that's the way I should be right now regardless of my "choice"
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

Apollo

• Offline Offline
    • Eight Bells
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 08:05:16 pm »

While I certainly respect the choice (a number of my friends and family have made the same choice), I find the rest of your statement ridiculous.

I didn't get married to have kids  ... we had kids to have kids. You speak as if those with kids can't understand the connection you have with your wife. Lots of us probably do (hey, that's why I married her).

You, OTOH, can't understand the connection that we have with our kids. I DON'T have anything better to do with my time and money than care for my kids. I bet I'm not alone.

I don't expect everybody to feel the way that I do, but please spare us the 'extreme environmental' stupidity -- kids are more environmentally friendly than a car and I bet you have more than one of those ...

Maybe I should have said that I got married to spend time alone with the woman I love?
I actually said 'the people I see having kids' I did not refer to anyone on this board. The people I see having kids are my friends and aquaintances in New Zealand and what I said is true, most of them have just had kids as a matter of course with very little if any thought as to the alternatives, believe me I have spoken with them about it often.
Oh and by the way I do have only one car it has a 1.6 litre engine and is used infrequently.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 08:08:30 pm »
23 is a fine age to be childless - IMHO people who get married should enjoy some time being just the two of them before they jump into a family, though it's not a bad thing if they don't wait. The thing to think of though is the age thing. If you think you might want kids, you want to have them so you're young enough to enjoy them and keep up with them while they grow up.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
!Q
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 08:17:10 pm »
The people I see having kids are my friends and aquaintances in New Zealand and what I said is true, most of them have just had kids as a matter of course with very little if any thought as to the alternatives, believe me I have spoken with them about it often.

In that case, then I say .... Go NZL 92!

Even though you completely stole any thunder from my "you have cars" line (although I am still baffled by the extreme environmental comment) ... damn you for not being the average North American DINK couple with 3 or more cars!  ;)

Apollo

• Offline Offline
    • Eight Bells
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 08:28:50 pm »
lol, I was just feeling feisty  :D

GO THE BLACK BOAT!

Chris G

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 09:55:58 pm »
23 is a fine age to be childless - IMHO people who get married should enjoy some time being just the two of them before they jump into a family, though it's not a bad thing if they don't wait. The thing to think of though is the age thing. If you think you might want kids, you want to have them so you're young enough to enjoy them and keep up with them while they grow up.

This is exactly the dilemma.  Still really enjoying the freedom, but understanding how great having a family could be.  Unfortunately the clock continues to tick.  And we're mid-30's, not 23.  :)  Even though it's a tough decision, I do appreciate the fact that we have a choice.

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 10:15:39 pm »
Time for a little Donkey_Kong & Princess history...

Melissa and I were married at 19 (me) & 17 (her). We had our first child at 17 & 15. Everyone one thought that we were crazy. Seems like we almost did it (pun, had kids & got married) at such a  young age out of rebellion. We both grew up on the other side of the tracks and our ages at the time of our life cycles will show that. We had the typical nay sayers that knew this thing could not last and that it would all blow up in smoke in no time.

Well, turns out that here we are at the ripe old age of 32 & 30 & we just celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary. We have 2 healthy boys at the age of 11 & 13. We are so close to our kids in age that a generation gap is almost non existent. We speak our kids language and they speak ours. We hang out with them and have fun with them at all opportunities. We have been able to enjoy hundreds unforgettable moments with our kids. A lot of times we feel that being this close to our kids is directly related to having them at such a young age.

This is just my 2 cents. Most 'normal' people would probably not have such an opportunity, or would have a different result. However, from my personal experience...I would not recommend waiting too long to have the kids if kids are what your wanting...

;D
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 10:22:06 pm »
Nicely put!
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Naru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2007, 12:01:34 am
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 10:46:15 pm »

HAHAHAH.

nostrebor: when I was in my Humanities I class, we were learning about the greeks and all. At one point I said, '...so, since they were really big on chastity, how did they preserve it?' He said they were big into a-...um, alternative sex. I said, 'Oh Really?' I think that made various impressions with the females in the class.

naru: I re-emphasise what I just said to nostrebor.

Nun fo meee. Same for the marriage and living together thing. I enjoy being able to do whatever I want whenever I want. (...even that last is something difficult cos my way of house-keeping, though attempted by those I've been in relationship with, hasn't quite been succesfully adhered to.) People of any age can be fascinating and enjoyable, but it's better they have their own space to mill in.

Ha, ha.
Holy cow, I think I've been slammed
by the Super space mentalist.
It's cool, I'll think of a way
to get you back...right after I shave
my palms.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2007, 12:04:05 am »
Don't go to the dark side.....being DINKS is WAY more fun.... ;)

And no Cheffo, we're not the typical DINKs with 3 or more cars, but we do have 2 and a boat...and I'm probably going to buy a motorcycle soon.....does that count?

:D

Joystick Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 08:18:08 pm
  • Slave to the stick.
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2007, 02:14:51 am »
28 years old, girlfriend is 26, no children and were very happy. Probably won't ever have kids, as neither of us are really "kid people". I do feel bad that I won't ever give my parents grandchildren, but hey, I gotta think of myself first. Maybe my sister will give them grandchildren, but she's never expressed an interest in marriage or children so far with any of her boyfriends.

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2007, 03:05:06 am »

I am definitely of the belief that I am far too young for kids. Up until recently, I still said I was too young for marriage, but I guess that's really not the case.  I just always said that since a few of my close friends got married very early on, and most of those relationships have not ended well.

For me personally, I really have no desire to have children.  Others around me say that will change once I get a bit older, but who knows.  Even just the discussion of kids caused problems in my last relationship though, so who knows.  It's certainly not an easy decision, and I don't envy you Chris G, even though you are in a situation that I'd say is much more "normal" for having kids (married and 30s)
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2007, 07:34:31 am »
I have two, a boy and a girl and I wouldn't trade anything for them they are awesome....

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:55:16 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2007, 10:04:28 am »

you dont have an 'apparently' option...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2007, 10:15:33 am »

My first son was born when we were 23.  Looking back, I'm glad we did it at that age.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to be 40 trying to do this.  We're going to have a lot of time left when our two boys leave home.

Glaine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2007, 10:54:12 am »
I'm still reluctant to think about marriage too much. I think I would really enjoy it, but since it's a for-life thing (at least it used to be), it's scary to think that you have to make a choice that you hope works out in the long run when it seems like you really don't have enough information to make a good prediction except that you get along well currently.

As for having kids, it's not all that much up to the guy is it? The most you can do is pick someone who also doesn't want kids. And if either of you changes your minds, things get complicated. And like with so many couples, the gall usually wants kids and so the guy doesn't have much choice - have kids with her or get divorced so she can go have kids elsewhere.

I could really go either way. I don't want kids all that much, but if it became a deal breaker I suppose I could change my mind.

@Donkey_Kong: I just feel that people around that age should still be having fun being kids, and that it's too young to be having kids (but then again my folks did the same thing). It's just that at that age, you not only don't know enough about what you want or who you are, much less have any kind of financial backing to support anyone. I get upset at how short the marriages last of people around their 20's, but just the same, there are people who manage to make things work out and for them - not only did they put in a lot of work, but I'm sure they got a lot out of it. I'm reluctant to post this part at all, because I'm so mixed on it - I'm proud of you and don't want to start anything but I certainly don't think it's good advise for most people to jump into parenthood when they haven't finished growing up themselves (heck, I'll probably still be growing up at 28).

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2007, 12:02:27 pm »
I actually said 'the people I see having kids' I did not refer to anyone on this board. The people I see having kids are my friends and aquaintances in New Zealand and what I said is true, most of them have just had kids as a matter of course with very little if any thought as to the alternatives, believe me I have spoken with them about it often.

Well here is what I see.

Too many people who are trying to be conscious of their global surroundings who decide to not have kids for reasons such as:

• overpopulation
  • The world is going to hell in a hand basket

What you've really done is deprived the world of a smart considerate person. You can bet your bottom dollar that the the dumb ass, lazy folks are breeding like crazy.

The world needs good people to have good kids.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2007, 12:34:12 pm »

Definitely sacrificing, sometimes literally.

About 3 years ago, my now 7YO son wanted to watch a DVD. He put it in, changed the video to DVD, but somehow managed to switch the audio to something else (with no active signal). He turned up the volume. Then he turned it up a little more. Repeat until volume is at infinity. Then he looked at the receiver and saw that the audio setting was not on DVD, so he pressed DVD ... at least it was loud enough that he won't ever do it again.

The next week, I replaced that nice receiver (which survived and is safely tucked away downstairs) with a cheap unit geared for stupid abuse (I traded an old microwave for it, so nothing out of pocket) and his twin sister did exactly the same thing.

The third kid never got a chance ... audio through TV only until I upgrade once I get my HD ... hey, Father's Day is coming ...

Cheers.

Oh ... that was 3 kids ... 7YO B/G and 4YO B.

I lost a video camera to similar abuse. Someone (never found out who, but definitely 1 of the 3) made it hit the floor so hard the rotating eye piece was torn right off. The reason I know it was a hard blow was it left a black plastic smear and dent on the hardwood floor.
Another time my daughter put a DVD in my laptop without locking it into place and it ended falling out of the DVD drive and into the laptop case. Had to have it opened up and removed. Then there's the never ending finger prints and scratches on my DVD collection.
The god knows what type of food that's caked on the various remotes. I could write volumes about the incidents. If anything, at least I've convinced them that telling the truth will set you free. Unfortunately, the video camera incident still remains a mystery.

This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

shorthair

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 12:45:43 pm »

What you've really done is deprived the world of a smart considerate person. You can bet your bottom dollar that the the dumb ass, lazy folks are breeding like crazy.

The world needs good people to have good kids.

This is a legitimate point. I wouldn't feel any guilt over it, though. Balance can be hard to find.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2007, 01:54:50 pm »
Balance can be hard to find.

quit breeding shorthair.  ;)

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2007, 09:03:47 am »
I have had two children - a little boy that is now in heaven and our 4 month old little girl. I wouldn't trade either experience for anything in the world. When it comes to having kids, it definitely helps if you and your spouse are on the same page. Me and my wife both were the youngest child in our respective families, and we both got crapped on by our respective parents and families on a regular basis. Thru our experiences, we both decided we wanted to have children and give them the deserved love that we never received. We share the same child-rearing beliefs, and we share the same affection for children in general. One day, we hope to adopt another child, and may consider having another naturally.

Personally, I have no problem with people choosing not to have children. If you feel you are not wanting to have children and take the necessary precautions to follow thru then kudo's to you.

Donkey Kong: First off, I think your story is really awesome. I can tell by talking with you and your wife that you are best friends, and that is the most important thing in a marriage - I can say that my wife is my best friend and I'm proud of it. Just curious though, did you all have your families support when you started out?

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2007, 12:13:58 pm »
Donkey Kong: First off, I think your story is really awesome. I can tell by talking with you and your wife that you are best friends, and that is the most important thing in a marriage - I can say that my wife is my best friend and I'm proud of it. Just curious though, did you all have your families support when you started out?

Thanks man. We appreciate that. We went against all odds and looking back wouldn't change much about it and no we didn't have a whole lot of support at all.  ;D 

One thing I need to say was that we actually had our first child at 17 & 19, and also got married at that age. My original post said we had our first son at 15 & 17...  :o  Now that is young!!
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

shorthair

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2007, 04:08:47 pm »
Balance can be hard to find.

quit breeding shorthair.  ;)

Dude, seriously. (Heh.)

D_K: anything under 30 is just shades of young. Good that your situation worked out, but too young for most I think.

Dexter

• Patriotism, the last refuge of the scoundrel. -- Irish, darnit!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2024, 04:36:19 pm
  • "MAKE POVERTY HISTORY......."
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2007, 07:10:00 am »
Planning to start a family early next year, and all going well, hoping for two kids. We're both 32 and we're running out of time to be young enough to enjoy our kids childhood properly. Not really bothered about whether they're boys or girls, just as long as they're healthy.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2007, 03:26:11 am »
Eh, I haven't done enough to have kids yet.  Some people think that having kids is a way of contributing to society and leaving the world with something after they are gone.  Personally I find that rather silly.  Kids are different people from their parents, and the world has plenty of them already.  For me one's legacy should be their works in life...  contributing to society, making the world a better place, all that stuff.  Once I feel my immortality is assured I'll consider it.  I'll probably be pretty old by then though, so I'll just adopt some ready-made kids with a few years on em so daddy doesn't have to worry about breaking a hip while playing a game of catch. 

Seriously though, me?  Kids?  Hah!

For anyone pondering, just ask your friends how they feel about it... Them laughing in your face is a bad sign.  :)

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2007, 09:49:26 am »
(and they can't break the cabinets) ...  ;)

You use Nintendo Sti...?  Uh, nevermind.

2 kids.  Love 'em.  A 3YO and a 8MO.  Boy and girl.  Hopefully thats it.  Speaking of fertility issues, kid #2 cost about $35K.  That HD TV may never arrive in my house.  On the other hand, we still have 2 fertilized eggs on ice.  The next one should be cheaper.
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2007, 09:57:25 am »
$35k!?!?
The dollar store has everything you need: thermometer & turkey baster. $2 plus tax!

This poll is flawed. There's a "none and happy" option, but no "have # and unhappy".

;D
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2007, 09:59:42 am »

Makes me feel a little guilty that it took my wife and I about ten minutes for child #2.  Took longer to drink the beer.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2007, 10:30:57 am »
Makes me feel a little guilty that it took my wife and I about ten minutes for child #2.  Took longer to drink the beer.
How many did you need?
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2007, 10:38:27 am »

It's not a question of need, man.  It's beer.

I've always theorized that if you removed beer from society, population levels would start to decline soon after.

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2007, 10:56:45 am »
How many did you need?

A better question is how many did his wife need?  :laugh2:

I'm 35, wife is 37, no kids and not planning on any.  It's not that we don't like kids, we just like them in very small doses, we have plenty of friends with kids for that.   When they start to annoy me I can tell them to go away.

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2007, 11:55:43 am »
$35k!?!?
The dollar store has everything you need: thermometer & turkey baster. $2 plus tax!

I wish.  Two ectopic pregnancies = no path from point A to point B.

On the other hand, I did get to give her multiple needles each night.  She was very nice to me for those few months.

If I was po'd about something, that needle went in just a bit harder than needed... :)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2007, 12:00:05 pm »

So they're calling it "needles" now, eh?

shorthair

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2007, 05:48:54 pm »
If it ain't easy, nature is telling you something.

And need for beer?...ick. Sexual, or rather sensual, discourse is like a rider and a prize horse. They are equals, and have a chemistry that transcends.

CCM: ha, don't you know it. 'Go oon, git.' haeh haeh haeh.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2007, 06:04:08 pm »

And need for beer?...ick. Sexual, or rather sensual, discourse is like a rider and a prize horse. They are equals, and have a chemistry that transcends.

CCM: ha, don't you know it. 'Go oon, git.' haeh haeh haeh.

Horses are smelly.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2007, 10:08:56 pm »
All these people building bartops for dads makes me wish I had kids already.

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2007, 08:00:54 am
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2007, 10:38:25 pm »
That it's going to take hard work and perseverance for any parent not to raise a self-centred 13 year old who posts such stunningly idiotic "me tarzan, you jane" nonsense from behind the safety of his sticky keyboard?  :tool:
Done. SLATFATF.

shorthair

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2007, 11:20:08 pm »
Ah, contraire. You mistake the context I spoke of. I meant the conception part, yo.

cheffo: well, metaphor aside, some people are kinky.

bfauska

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2007, 01:36:57 am »
Eh, I haven't done enough to have kids yet.

Ummmmmmmmm......... I think I read that the wrong way at first, but it was funnier before I figured out what you really meant.

Sorry Howard, It just looked funny when I read it so I had to say something.

geomartin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2017, 08:55:24 am
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2007, 03:22:40 am »
I have three kids, 17 and 15 year old boys, and a brand spankin' new 5 month old boy :dizzy:  (Mixed beer and a brand new convertible mustang that was purchased to celebrate the oldest getting his drivers license and taking my 2001 Mazda off my hands).  Actually having my new son has been great, I feel at least 10 years younger all of a sudden, and I have much more free time to enjoy a baby now than I did when I was young and building my "empire".
Please!  Give me the good news first!

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2007, 05:40:14 am »
Ah, contraire. You mistake the context I spoke of. I meant the conception part, yo.
I did assume (correctly) that you were indeed being a :tool: based on your previous record of being mostly a :tool: about topics like this. Trying to sound "hip" in your reply just confirms I was right about you being (at least on this topic) a  :tool:.
Done. SLATFATF.

Ed_McCarron

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2007, 08:38:00 am »

It ain't easy dealing with you, but what nature is telling me is illegal in most countries.

I hate when this argument pops up.

I know what you are trolling for.

My wife had abdominal surgery at some point, and the adhesions effed up her fallopian tubes.  The surgeons fault, not natures.

We're good parents, genetically sound, and can easily afford to raise kids.

Meanwhile, the low-income mom down the street is popping kids out like pez, and we pay for it because shes too stupid to make her babydaddies use condoms.

Go figure.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2007, 08:44:03 am »

I think he was referring to the beer as "necessity", which was a joke on my part.  I could be wrong but I doubt he was talking about the efforts of you and your wife.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2007, 09:06:04 am »

I think he was referring to the beer as "necessity", which was a joke on my part.  I could be wrong but I doubt he was talking about the efforts of you and your wife.

No, the context was pretty clear on that one. If it were anyone else, I would have considered it a joke.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2007, 09:08:20 am »

I must keep giving this guy too much benefit of the doubt.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2007, 09:13:33 am »
How can any of us really ever know what shorty is ever talking about ? In the rare event that he actually makes sense, he'll turn around and tell you that you misunderstood the context (remember what got him banned ? He told me that I misunderstood his use of that word.)

Ed -- having been through the fertility treatments (I ended up with two for the price of one, so it wasn't quite so bad pricewise), I understand where you are coming from and I took shorty's idiotic statement (that's not all that exclusive a description, is it?) the same way that you did.

Shorty -- nature is telling me the same thing that it has been telling me since you started your trollfest as tranq.

Ed_McCarron

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2007, 02:11:39 pm »
No, the context was pretty clear on that one.

Yup.  I know what he was going after, and swore I wouldn't rise to the bait...  Stupid me.

Anyway, I'm having a ball teaching my 3YO about things.  Hes got my inquisitiveness, and loves to ask questions.  I get funny looks from people when he asks something and gets a serious answer.

We recently took him on the 'Jaws' ride at Universal in Florida... Scared the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of him.  Instead of treating him like a 3 year old, I sat him down and explained that it was supposed to be scary, and showed him the control panel for the ride, explaining that it was much like the control panels I build for a living, and that people like being scared when they know that its pretend and can't hurt them.

He accepted this and got over the scare pretty quick.  A woman standing there watching the whole thing (kid going from crying, to sobbing, to asking calm questions in 2 minutes flat...) actually asked if I thought he understood all this, being not much more than a baby, my comment was that you'd be surprised what kids will learn if you treat them like small adults.

My son then chimed in that he understood it was all pretend and that the shark was fake and controlled by a computer.

The womans jaw almost hit the ground.  Worth every bit of trouble the kids have been so far. I've learned more about myself from watching him than I'd have learned anywhere else.

Still think we should have let nature win, Shorty?

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2007, 03:18:44 pm »
It's not a question of need, man.  It's beer.

I've always theorized that if you removed beer from society, population levels would start to decline soon after.
Yeah, it's the beer goggles effect. That's why I was asking how many you needed.   ;D
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2007, 03:20:31 pm »

Like I said, not a need... but what is better than sex?  Sex with beer. 

shorthair

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2007, 03:27:29 pm »
Ed: no bait to rise to. I made a statment. You can feel about it however you want. In this particular case all that was necessary was to impart that particular detail. (Although, I have a similar....opinion...about 'things' happening to people. A lot of those things don't happen to me cos I don't have that kind of energistic resonance. For example, despite the physical things I've done, I've never broken a bone.)

I never doubted, or intended to imply doubt, that you were capable. I agree with your idea on treatement. Curiously, earlier while fixing breakfast, this idea was in my mind: with my first ex, we used to cuss around her daughter. Then one day she got in trouble for it at school. I told her in much the same fashion that cussing wasn't necessarily bad, but that in the quality of one's expression one needs to understand it and understand how to use it. (Social propriety was secondary, but at least implicit. I forget if I covered that part.) She seemed to understand this and not use such language.

Chad: actually, sensual interaction is way better without any chemical substances.

jbox: what is this tool thing, anyway. I looked it up, and I didn't find the definition to be what you're alluding to. Come, lad, enlighten me. (I'd say lover, but you're just not as sexy as jeff. pshaw.)

jeff: historically, that word stems from that meaning. Again, you can be seduced by popcul's current demand of what the definition is, but that is your issue. (I may need to spank you, later.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 03:35:08 pm by shorthair »

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2007, 03:29:38 pm »
Ed: no bait to rise to. I made a statment. You can feel about it however you want. In this particular case all that was necessary was to impart that particular detail. (Although, such I have a similar....opinion...about 'things' happening to people. A lot of those things don't happen to me cos I don't have that kind of energistic resonance. For example, despite the physical things I've done, I've never broken a bone.)

Chad: actually, sensual interaction is way better without any chemical substances.

jbox: what is this tool thing, anyway. I looked it up, and I didn't find the definition to be what you're alluding to. Come, lad, enlighten me. (I'd say lover, but you're just not as sexy as jeff. pshaw.)

jeff: historically, that word stems from that meaning. Again, you can be seduced by popcul's current demand of what the definition is, but that is your issue. (I may need to spank you, later.)

So...ummm....is there a sexual harassment policy on this board? ???

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2007, 04:14:08 pm »
Ed: no bait to rise to. I made a statment. You can feel about it however you want. In this particular case all that was necessary was to impart that particular detail.

What is it with you ? You shoot your mouth off like an idiot about everybody and everything, spouting drivel from Little Hitler's Guide To Genetics And Natural Selection(tm). From what we have seen here, you are a sad little man who was afraid of the big arcade cabinets when he was a kid, can't breakdance, can't get his monitor to work, can't maintain a relationship, wants to live forever, wants to shoot his fellow soldiers and, thankfully, hasn't been able to procreate. You read a bunch of blogs and somehow think that makes you smart when you quote them back to us.

A lot of those things don't happen to me cos I don't have that kind of energistic resonance. For example, despite the physical things I've done, I've never broken a bone.)

Was this a plea for help ? I am available.

Just stick to your lemon parties, shortpants.

:cheers:

Chris G

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2007, 06:00:04 pm »
May I request "energistic resonance" and all such phrases be added to the filter?

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2007, 06:03:20 pm »
We'll probably crash the auto-filter.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

shorthair

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2007, 06:56:09 pm »
We'll probably crash the auto-filter.

HAHAHAHAH.

jeff: I like it when you're forceful. However, please refrain from calling me a man. It's not insulting, it's just not accurate. It's like this:

There's something inherent in me that evokes certain kinds of expression, not primarily to address to my audience, though that factor has some importance, but to discover and explore my intentions of expression.  It's similar I think to a musical composer: the visionary isn't concerned with audience. (For example, Conlon Nancarrow wrote pieces for player piano; literally he punched out the roles.) They're purely concerned with exploring their minds, and hearts, through musical structure. Naturally, as happened with harmonic vocabularies in music, this brings about behaviors that contrast with what is common. This educates me about modes of thought and helps augment my way of being. Of course, it would follow that some things would remain, particularly things outside of the normal cultural set.

On the tail of your last: you mistake the messenger for the message.

On the second part: good volley on the bone thing.

On your last: see, what a sexy beast you are. I really think there's a chemistry here.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2007, 07:46:50 pm »
However, please refrain from calling me a man. It's not insulting, it's just not accurate.

Something we can agree on ...  ;)

Glaine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2007, 10:41:42 pm »
I love how this forum starts with one topic and always ends on another. It's like reading the newspaper, but every page is the funnies. Thank you.  :D

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2007, 10:47:45 pm »
May I request "energistic resonance" and all such phrases be added to the filter?
Pretty much everything he says reminds me of this:
Zeere's sumetheeng inherent in me-a thet ifukes certeeen keends ooff ixpresseeun, nut preemerily tu eddress tu my oodeeence-a, thuoogh thet fectur hes sume-a impurtunce-a, boot tu deescufer und ixplure-a my intenshuns ooff ixpresseeun.  It's seemiler I theenk tu a mooseecel cumpuser: zee feesiunery isn't cuncerned veet oodeeence-a. (Fur ixemple-a, Cunlun Nuncerroo vrute-a peeeces fur pleyer peeunu; leeterelly he-a poonched oooot zee rules.) Zeey're-a poorely cuncerned veet ixplureeng zeeur meends, und heerts, thruoogh mooseecel strooctoore-a. Netoorelly, es heppened veet hermuneec fuceboolereees in mooseec, thees breengs ebooot behefeeurs thet cuntrest veet vhet is cummun. Thees idoocetes me-a ebooot mudes ooff thuooght und helps oogment my vey ooff beeeng. Ooff cuoorse-a, it vuoold fulloo thet sume-a theengs vuoold remeeen, perticoolerly theengs ooootseede-a ooff zee nurmel cooltoorel set.
And having access to a thesaurus doesn't make you more enlightened, it just highlights your desperately unsatisfied need for approval and attention.
Done. SLATFATF.

shorthair

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2007, 12:30:49 am »
Ah, my j-boy, I'd think more a dictionary would be useful. In any case, I think things are looking better with us. I might have to split my affection between you and jeff.

Glaine: aye, yer welcoom.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2007, 09:48:36 am »
There's something inherent in me that evokes certain kinds of expression

I'm pretty sure we all have a strong guess as to what this is, too.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2007, 09:51:29 am »

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2007, 10:03:10 am »
I'd think more a dictionary would be useful.

Actually, I am thinking that copies of fictional works by Hamilton and Bear, along with a link to Matt Furey's blog pretty much covers everything you have to say ...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2007, 10:05:08 am »

I have a magic 8 ball with tourette's and full of vodka that makes better formed statements than he does.

shorthair

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »
GAET IN MA BE-LLY.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2007, 05:12:43 pm »
This thread is better than a roller coaster ride...
or dropping acid.

Not sure which.
NO MORE!!

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2007, 06:31:17 pm »
This thread is better than a roller coaster ride...
or dropping acid.

Not sure which.

Both simultaneously perhaps? :dunno

shorthair

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2007, 07:48:52 pm »
I've done that. Unfortunately something strange about that particular batch of sid was if you did it more than once even a little close together - and this was the second weekend in a row - the trip didn't last but a couple/few hours, total. Peak like maybe an hour in-between. Oh, plus...on the downside of it you got this feeling of...well, the guy the weekend before warned me: "it feels like someone's got hold you (motioning to the base of his skull, his hand in a pincers and shaking wildly) with an ice pick goin 'Ahhhhhh'."

But, yeah, this thread has totally diverged. Twasn't my intent, truly.

boykster

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2007, 08:38:56 pm »
I've done that. Unfortunately something strange about that particular batch of sid was if you did it more than once even a little close together - and this was the second weekend in a row - the trip didn't last but a couple/few hours, total. Peak like maybe an hour in-between. Oh, plus...on the downside of it you got this feeling of...well, the guy the weekend before warned me: "it feels like someone's got hold you (motioning to the base of his skull, his hand in a pincers and shaking wildly) with an ice pick goin 'Ahhhhhh'."

But, yeah, this thread has totally diverged. Twasn't my intent, truly.

Interesting...history of psychedelic drug use certain does explain a LOT of things.... :dizzy:

shorthair

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2007, 11:58:20 pm »
Actually, it doesn't. Really. Although, I did party with connisseurs often enough who were very similar in their zeal for quality, and artistic, devices and implements as are folk here. Anyways, no, I was born a little odd. My up-bringing brought it out. The drug exploration exemplified it.

Chris G

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2007, 08:42:33 pm »

Talk about crapping up a thread!   :P