Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mala Plug-in idea (password gamelist)  (Read 2450 times)

ABArcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2008, 01:37:36 am
Mala Plug-in idea (password gamelist)
« on: June 04, 2007, 05:01:17 pm »
I've had this idea for a Mala plug-in but I just don't have anytime in the foreseeable future to figure out how to do it.  So I'm posting it here in case someone has some extra time.

I would like to be able to have a password assigned to a gamelist.  When selecting a protected gamelist an input screen would pop-up and ask for password. The password would be a sequence of button presses and/or Joystick directions. This could also be expanded to individual games. For example for all Mature games prompt for password.

I'm not sure if this is even possable with the Mala plug-in functionality because of the pop-up screen that would be needed.

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: Mala Plug-in idea (password gamelist)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 07:30:31 pm »
I've had this idea for a Mala plug-in but I just don't have anytime in the foreseeable future to figure out how to do it.  So I'm posting it here in case someone has some extra time.

I would like to be able to have a password assigned to a gamelist.  When selecting a protected gamelist an input screen would pop-up and ask for password. The password would be a sequence of button presses and/or Joystick directions. This could also be expanded to individual games. For example for all Mature games prompt for password.

I'm not sure if this is even possable with the Mala plug-in functionality because of the pop-up screen that would be needed.

It's doable I think  ;) 

But what is to stop someone removing the plug-in? Or firing up a Rude game another way?

I guess you are just putting a stop on Kids stumbling on Mature Games are you.

Mala Plug-in can issue Pop-up windows and if the password is not entered it could send a command back to mala 'MALAMSG_NEXTGAMELIST' I guess

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 03:14:07 am »
But what is to stop someone removing the plug-in? Or firing up a Rude game another way?

I guess the plug in would have to require the keypresses (or another set password) to edit it... that combined with removal of the right click menu could be a pretty good team...

Not only that, but having the password (or another) required to enter the mala config menu...

Sounds like a great idea to me... I'd love to see if it goes somewhere...

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 06:54:20 am »

I guess the plug in would have to require the keypresses (or another set password) to edit it... that combined with removal of the right click menu could be a pretty good team...

Not only that, but having the password (or another) required to enter the mala config menu...

Sounds like a great idea to me... I'd love to see if it goes somewhere...

What I meant is you can just delete the plug-in from the directory... ;)

But if we are talking kids here you could hide the directory and you can disable config from right click and allocate a secret key options-keyboard-options

ABArcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2008, 01:37:36 am
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:45:20 am »
Originally I was thinking of this to keep kids out of games that have mature content.  Loadman pointed out some simple work arounds that I'm sure my kids could easily figure out at age 13.
If we did the plug-in and supplied the source, it could be dropped into the Mala core.  Then we would have something fairly safe.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 02:24:15 pm »
Originally I was thinking of this to keep kids out of games that have mature content. 

Then don't put that stuff on the cab, problem solved. :dunno

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 04:56:15 pm »
Originally I was thinking of this to keep kids out of games that have mature content. 

A full set includes mature games and there are many...plus some games include content not necessarily mature that some parents may wish to block for violence and or sexuality or just downright Japanese Silliness.
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 05:34:02 pm »

A full set includes mature games and there are many...plus some games include content not necessarily mature that some parents may wish to block for violence and or sexuality or just downright Japanese Silliness.

I know that Frizzel and there are tools out there to help filter the set down to a manageable list.  I did that recently for my Dad's Bartop.  It took me all of 1/2 hour to choose the around 100 roms I wanted and copy them to a separate folder.  All the links and instructions on how to use SortInfo can be found here.  Just go down about 2/3 of the page to the section called "Sorting the ROMs for use in the cabinet with Sortinfo"

TTFN :cheers:
Kaytrim