Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gameport to USB or How connect gameport to laptop?  (Read 4891 times)

CoreyGH2

• Trade Count: (0)
Gameport to USB or How connect gameport to laptop?
« on: March 24, 2002, 10:40:57 pm »
When I purchased my "Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro" (a joystick, not a gamepad for those who don't know) it came with an adaptor that would let you plug it into the USB port and be recognized by the OS.  (It normally plugs into the gameport without the adaptor)

All the adaptor is is a 3 inch little cord with a gameport on one end and a USB plug on the other.

When I plug my Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad into the adaptor and plug that into the USB port, windows doesn't recognize it.

Is there someway to get the adaptor to make any gameport based controler work with the USB port?

If not, what possible ways are there to get a gameport based controler to work with a laptop that doesn't have a gameport?

DISCLAIMER - Yes I know there is a USB Sidewinder Gamepad and I also know some laptop docking stations have gameports on them, these options are not acceptable for me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
Re: Gameport to USB or How connect gameport to lap
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2002, 06:09:42 am »
I'm sure that if one controller gets recognized and the other doesn't, it's because Windows is made to specifically recognize that one controller with or without the adaptor (probably with 2 different versions of the driver).  Other controllers won't be supported in the same way unless they're made to be.

I would just bite the bullet and start buying controls with USB support.  It's clear that this is the way things are going, why fight it?  USB is superior in a number of ways, hot swapping and easy multiplayer support being 2 good ones.  I use USB as much as possible.

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Billabong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2016, 09:05:48 am
  • Loosing Flynn...
    • Pure arcade Xstikcy
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2002, 06:39:04 am »
I hacked a gameport Sidewinder pad, and was looking for the same thing.
I did find some 'universal' gameport to USB adapter after searching on the 'net. Most were like $30 - $40.

I went to a local computer show and found this one: http://www.usbcable.com/47-1932.htm for $20. I didn't pick it up (ran out of $$$), but in April it's coming around again and I think I'll get one. The only thing is I don't know if all the buttons will work.

I also found this: http://www.synchrotech.com/products/midi-devices.html but it's just a little too pricey for me.

But, in regards to almost any joystick/gamepad that comes with it's own port-to-USB adapter. It usually only works with that pad/stick.

Later,
Billabong
"So, you took apart a joystick to make...another joystick?"

tom61

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 11:19:04 am »
Universal gameport to USB adapters that I've seen do not convert digital pads and joysticks (Sidewinders, Gravis, etc.), only analog pads and sticks (older 4 or less button joysticks and pads).

The adapters that come with 'USB capable' Microsoft gamepads are nothing but four wires and two plugs. The gamepads and sticks that come with these have USB inside them, the adapter just lets it have the right plug. Which is why it states in the manual that these will not work with any other joystick than the one it came with, might even damage the joystick or your computer if you do try.

Options for laptops: I've seen PC-Cards that add Joystick ports. Also, some laptops have a joystick port built in, but have a proprietary plug for it, so that an adapter is needed.

Billabong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2016, 09:05:48 am
  • Loosing Flynn...
    • Pure arcade Xstikcy
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2002, 01:48:31 pm »
I didn't know that about the converters.

Thanks Tom, you just saved me $20. :)

Later,
Billabong
"So, you took apart a joystick to make...another joystick?"

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2002, 05:11:59 pm »
When I purchased my "Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro" (a joystick, not a gamepad for those who don't know) it came with an adaptor that would let you plug it into the USB port and be recognized by the OS.