Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "clones" vs. "originals" categorization  (Read 3212 times)

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
"clones" vs. "originals" categorization
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:50:51 pm »
I'm weeding through my MAME games to make an abbreviated list for my MALA front end.  I'm using MAME32 (0.113u1) as a guide for helping me understand what's a "clone" (or other-country release or older rev) vs. not.

Is there anything "better" about 1 country's version over another?  Like a better ROM dump or better emulation?

For example, I'm using Armored Warriors (Euro 941024) instead of Armored Warriors (USA 941024) because MAME32 lists the Euro version as the "parent" of the group & the USA version is a child.

This is fine if the non-US parent is still in English, but I've come across Ashura Blaster, whose Japan version is the parent & the US version is the child.  I don't want to have Japanese text on that game, so I've obviously chosen the US version in this case.

Is there any rhyme or reason to which version of a game is considered the original & which are "clones"?

Thanks,
-Jason

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:46 am
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: "clones" vs. "originals" categorization
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 09:10:53 pm »
It makes perfect sense actually.  Generally a game is "tested" in one reigon first and if it does well it is ported (adding text modifications if necessary) to other reigons and released there.  Ther first country the game is released in is the original rom and thus the parent.

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 05:39:22 pm »
I see--I thought there was some conscious decision on the MAME team to determine what was an original & what was a clone.

But, if it's a chronological sorting by which game came first, then what do you make of this:
If you look @ MAME32 0.113u1, Astro Blaster (version 1, 2, & 2a) are clones of Astro Blaster (version 3), however Atari Football (revision 1) is a clone of Atari Football (revision 2).

So, when it comes to games that have multiple "sets" or revisions, or versions, it doesn't always seem to be the newest one that's the parent.

I imagine I'd always want to put the newest version/set/rev of a game in my game list, under the assumption that newer revs have bugs removed that were found in older versions...correct?

Thanks,
-Jason

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 01:02:50 am »
rom revisions are special cases....

When a newer revision of a game is dumped, what was the parent is renamed to reflect it's revision (like tmntrv1 or something) and this new dump is renamed to the original parent's name (in this ficitonal example tmnt).  This method ensures that when you run a parent rom name it's always the newest and best revision, so you don't have to memorize new rom names when new revisions are found. 

Basically revisions are only technically clones, they are actually revisions of the parent, so the parent/clone relationship of the different region releases do not apply.

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 01:07:46 am »
Thanks--and while I've got you, please answer this:

Sometimes I see multiple revisons or versions of the same game.  This clearly indicates to me a newer (chronologically) piece of software.

When I see Zaxxon (set 1) vs. Zaxxon (set 2), can I assume the same, that set 2 is newer, or does a "set" not follow the same logic as a revision or version?

Thanks,
-Jason

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 01:14:48 pm »
Generally it's just like software......

Rev1 was the original, some bugs were found and they were fixed in rev2.  Also in the case of more modern games, especially fighters, they are often rushed to the market before they are completely finished and as parts of the game are completed, a new revision is released addign that functionality.  Mk4 is a great example, the first revision didn't include all the fatalities or stage fatalities as well as the endings.  In later revisions, this stuff was added in. 

Dav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2016, 05:39:35 am
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 01:41:31 pm »
Thanks--and while I've got you, please answer this:

Sometimes I see multiple revisons or versions of the same game.  This clearly indicates to me a newer (chronologically) piece of software.

When I see Zaxxon (set 1) vs. Zaxxon (set 2), can I assume the same, that set 2 is newer, or does a "set" not follow the same logic as a revision or version?

Thanks,
-Jason

No, with older games the set number is often an arbitrary number assigned by the author of the driver or the rom dumper and may or may not have any relationship to release date. 

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 01:57:22 pm »
Thanks, Howard & Dav--the answer on set # was what I was looking for--I assumed it was some arbitrary number assigned to a specific ROM dump--you confirmed--thanks.

-Jason

Dav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2016, 05:39:35 am
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 03:10:20 pm »
Thanks, Howard & Dav--the answer on set # was what I was looking for--I assumed it was some arbitrary number assigned to a specific ROM dump--you confirmed--thanks.

-Jason

Yeah, unfortunately for the older games they didn't generally include revision numbers anywhere so at this point it's pretty much impossible to verify the age.  You can try to analyze the differences and make a guess but sometimes latter revisions have less features than earlier e.g. Nba Jam TE so it really is just a guess.   If I think I know I make a note in the driver, but if there's already a zaxxon set 1 and set 2. I wouldn't rename the sets, so the next set I add will likely be set 3 regardless of where I think it belongs.

Of course other dev's may do it differently.

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 04:23:03 pm »
Thanks for the "behind the scenes" insight, Dav.  :]

-J