Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: rotated skin and MSG_ image  (Read 3842 times)

dibb1er

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2010, 07:14:38 am
rotated skin and MSG_ image
« on: April 21, 2007, 10:08:55 pm »
I have added a notification on my wincab skin for MSG_SKIPLASTOK (see below)
problem is, it displays ok on a non-rotated skin, but if i set it to rotate either left or right, then the image is reduced or something.
is this because of the format of the original image? ive tried using jpg and bmp, but no luck, still get the same result.

I have attached the actual image i am using, plus what it should (sort of) look like, and what it looks like when rotated.

:banghead: 

oh, and is there a MSG_QUEUEFULL or equivalent?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 10:14:22 pm by dibb1er »

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: rotated skin and MSG_ image
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 03:26:11 pm »
I have added a notification on my wincab skin for MSG_SKIPLASTOK (see below)
problem is, it displays ok on a non-rotated skin, but if i set it to rotate either left or right, then the image is reduced or something.
is this because of the format of the original image? ive tried using jpg and bmp, but no luck, still get the same result.

I have attached the actual image i am using, plus what it should (sort of) look like, and what it looks like when rotated.

:banghead: 
This is because when rotated the display needs to adjust for the aspect ratio change and the target image shrinks.  What you can do is temporarily change this graphic to a white rectangle, then rotate the display, then take a screenshot with the display rotated.  Load the screenshot into your editor and crop to the white rectangle, rotate to horizontal, and re-create your image.  Do NOT tinker with the icon dimensions in the skin!  The image should come out the way you want it.

As far as MSG_QUEUEFULL, no I don't have that; I'll have to add it.  If you try to add a song to a full queue it triggers MSG_INVALID, but that message is triggered for any entry problem so it's probably not what you want.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 12:54:15 am »
As far as MSG_QUEUEFULL, no I don't have that; I'll have to add it.  If you try to add a song to a full queue it triggers MSG_INVALID, but that message is triggered for any entry problem so it's probably not what you want.

MSG_QUEUEFULL is in place for the next release.
--Chris

dibb1er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:02:40 am »
the MSG_INVALID will work for me (until the next release anyway)  ;D  ;D

thanks for the info Chris, i will try the image stuff now.

dibb1er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 05:29:07 am »

This is because when rotated the display needs to adjust for the aspect ratio change and the target image shrinks.  What you can do is temporarily change this graphic to a white rectangle, then rotate the display, then take a screenshot with the display rotated.  Load the screenshot into your editor and crop to the white rectangle, rotate to horizontal, and re-create your image.  Do NOT tinker with the icon dimensions in the skin!  The image should come out the way you want it.

hmm.. nope... didnt seem to work...
i followed the instructions above, but still the same result  ???
i will have a few more goes at it, and see what i come up with.

i was thinking of just turning the skin over on its side, set rotation to zero, and doing it that way, then remembered that all the text displays will be stuffed up.... D'OH! ...    :dizzy:

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 08:22:04 am »
Try setting FixedDimension=Height and see if that makes things a bit better.  Or make the image larger than it is now so it will shrink to an appropriate size after rotation.

--Chris
--Chris

dibb1er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 08:23:14 am »
ok, this was doing my head in, so i did a bit of investigating...

well, i looked closely at the screen anyway ::)

it seems that the icon h= is being applied to the pixel width of the image, while still keeping it at the relative correct width on screen.

in other words, although the image is set for (for example) w=350 and h=21, and the image is also still displayed as a relative rotated w=350/h=21, the actual image is being resized to w=21/h=21, and then stretched out to w=350, therefore giving the "blurred" effect in my orig post.

the image below was set to w=350 h=21, so therefore you can see 21 "sections" from left to right. (yes, against your advice in the 2nd post, i was playing with the icon dimensions)

the "sections" from L to R increased as the h= was increased....
so, i tried setting to w=350/w=350, and although it overlapped the strips a fair bit, you could read the original text (although it was a bit tall)

p.s. already tried the fixeddimension=height, didnt make much difference....

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 08:39:02 am »
That's bizzare...  if that's always been happening, I probably haven't noticed it because the default skin only has square icons on it and that's what I would test rotated modes with.  Multiple transformations are necessary in rotated modes, and I must be applying one transformation after rotation with unrotated dimensions or vice-versa. Thanks for troubleshooting this; I'll dig into it.
--Chris

dibb1er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 12:30:42 pm »
the MSG_INVALID works great as a substitute for QUEUEFULL
erm, except when i press something else that is invalid   ::)

looking forward to the next release Chris, keep up the good work   :cheers:   :notworthy:

ummm, and i know you are probably busy with life in general (who isn't?), but.... have you had a chance to look at the "out of square" image rotation problem?

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 02:06:49 pm »
I haven't been able to find this yet.  The code that does the scaling and rotation is a nightmare (no wonder so few programs support a rotated mode!), and I'm sure I probably just have two operations in the wrong order.  What I need to do is deconstruct and simplify the code and in the process I should find it.
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:51:25 pm »
I have finally found the bug, and I know why I didn't find it before; it seems to only appear if you have an On image without an Off image.  I'm fixing it now.
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 08:57:23 pm »
It's fixed for the next release.  I had re-used some variables, trying to be economical with them, but in one context they were the opposite of another context.  Stupid mistake.

I know I haven't released anything in ages; I'm gonna pick off a few more bugs and get something out this weekend.

--Chris
--Chris