Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: One more question about wiring a Midway coin door  (Read 5562 times)

2PacMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2009, 08:33:45 am
  • PacMan collection
One more question about wiring a Midway coin door
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:19:34 pm »
When I got this Galaxian, the guy hooked it up to a button in order to gain credits.  I want to hook the coin door up again, i'm just not sure where the wires go.  I have two wires coming off the coin door.  One wire goes from one switch, and it's brown with white markings.  The other wire comes from the other coin switch and it's brown with black marks.  There are 2 wires coming from the harness/PCB and they are Orange with brown marks and then 2 solid brown wires which are combined into one solid brown wire.  Hopefully you can see this in the pics below.  I just need to find out which wire goes to what switch on the coin door, or does it even matter?  Also, there's a green grounding wire hanging off the coin door that isn't attatched to anything.  Any idea where i should attach this to?  Does the coin door need to be grounded?  Thanks for all your help.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Re: One more question about wiring a Midway coin door
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:10:28 am »
I checked with my Galaxian. Everything is still original there. Assuming the first picture is showing the connector coming from the harness, the wires that are diagonaly opposite each other are the coin wires. When you short them temporary, you should get a credit. You can easily see which wires I mean, because on of the top corners is not wired.

On my cab the wire colors are orange/black and the other (double wired) red. You can wire both coin switches in parallel, that's how it is on my cab, although I only have 1 coin mech (the other wires are cut off and isolated).

If you look at the connector that is coming from the harness it should like this:

orange/black------ D-O ------ not wired
  green/white------  O-D ------ yellow/green = ground
  blue/brown-------- D-O ------ Red

Blue/Brown and Green/White go to the coin counter so DO NOT connect these to the coin switches. There's a electric pulse for every payed game on these wires.....

I hope this is clear enough. The Red wires on your connector look to be brown instead of red.....

If it's not clear, make a close-up (macro !) picture of the connector and wires...

And yes the yellow/green wire needs to be connected to the metal part of the coin door (at the point where that loose green wire now is on your last picture). This is for protection, if there would be an electrical defect inside the cab, a mains voltage could be going to the coin door....you can imagine what happens if you insert a coin should this happen (athough it's not very likely that it does happen).

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:04:43 am »
I'm confused a little.  I drew a picture of my current setup.  Basically, I want to remove the red wire splicers in at the brown and orange wires and wire it back to the coin door (and totally remove the free play button).  But I don't know which swith gets the double brown wire and which one gets the single orange wire.  Can you show me on the picture how it should be hooked up.  I know the light green and blue wires go to the counter, which is gone.  And the two white wires i'm assuming was for the coin door vibration switch, which i don't want to hook back up.  The dark green grounding wire is coming out of the coin door, but doesn't go anywhere.  I need to know where that needs to be hooked up too.  Thanks, hope my picture makes sense.

I guess my main worry is if i hook it up backwards, it will short out the board or the power supply....could that happen?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:11:22 am by 2PacMan »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 10:19:02 am »
I'll rewrite this
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:20:59 am by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:25:53 am »
OK, cut off the red "connectors" on the side of the orange and 2x brown wires.

Strip the wires. twist both brown wires together.

Get the wires that are now running to the coin switches (purple and light-yellow in your drawing). Strip the ends if needed.
Twist the purple wire with the orange wire and the white wire with both brown wires.

The coinswitch is electricaly exactly the same thing as the button. A momentary contact (normaly open, it closes the circuit when pressed).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:33:48 am by Level42 »

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 10:46:29 am »
OK, great, i think i've got it!  So just for clarification, if i connected the brown wire to the purple and orange to the yellow (opposite of what you are saying), will it still work?

Also, do you know what i should do with that green wire coming from the coin door?

Thanks for your help.

Also, if I wanted to put lights behind the 25 cent signs, what wire would I need to tap into?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:57:50 am by 2PacMan »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 01:12:46 pm »
Yep that's correct.

The green wire is the grounding wire. Check that diagram I made earlier. The connector has keying. Some terminals are O shaped and some D shaped.

On one side there is a D shaped terminal in the middle between two O shaped terminals.  That D shaped terminal in the middle should be the ground wire. That should be connected to the green wire running to the door.

Do you have a DVM ? You could check if that connection is really the ground with measuring it in Ohms setting.

You don't want to light the 25 cent signs.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 02:17:47 pm »
Thanks for your help with the coind switches.  Now I'm confused about these D and O shaped connectors.  Where are you seeing these, on the molex connector?  So i should just run the grounding wire into the molex connector.  I'm sorry, i'm confused.

"You don't want to light the 25 cent signs"

Haha, I actually think I do.  Someone did the mod to my Pacman arcade game (those weren't originally lit either, were they?) and it looks pretty neat.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 03:44:15 pm »
Look at the molex connector's white plastic. at the side where the metal pins are (that's the other side then where the wires are). If you look closely you see that some holes are shaped like a circle ( O ) and others have one side flat (like a D or reversed D). That's what I mean. But it could be that your molex connector doesn't have this, and is using another method for the "keying" (method to prevent the connector from being put in the wrong way around).

If you found the correct wire in the molex, then yes that green wire just needs to be connected to that wire.

If you don't feel comfortable about it, you could also run a new wire to a known ground point withing the cab (like the screws holding the tranfomers on the bottom of the cab).

I didn't say it wouldn't look neat. I said you don't want it. It's not like it's supposed to be.

;)

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 04:04:53 pm »
OK, i think i've got it....I don't see any grounding wire in the molex connector at all, so, I can just extend that green wire down into a screw at the bottom of the cab where the transformer is?  If so, i'll give that a try.  And what will that do exactly?  Just in case there is a power surge that will go through the wires to my coin door switches, instead of electrifying the entire metal coin door, it will dissapate into the screw at the bottom of the transformer? 

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 01:19:06 am »

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 08:28:37 am »
Well, got home yesterday and did everything you told me to do Level 42 and it work perfectly.  Now my coin mechs are hooked up again and i grounded the coin door to a screw at the bottom of the cab.  Once again, thanks a million for your help!  :notworthy:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 08:30:34 am »
Great, and you're welcome :D

About the lighting: Check out the Ms. Pac Man schematics on KLOV.com and compare it to the Galaxian. The bulbs are wired from the 12VAC side of the transformer. You can easily wire up from there. Note that the Ms.Pac has a fuse that is 2 Amps instead of 1, probably because the lamps use a little more current.  If it works, I woulnd't replace the current fuse though...

This doesn't mean I still think you shouldn't do it though ;) :D