Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: <News> Ultimarc parts + Guncon2 PC driver == make a PSX lightgun work in 31 khz  (Read 6812 times)

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2024, 09:08:32 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Whoaaa.  Does that mean that this sort of guncon 2 will now work on my PC?   Makes my Actlabs look like a toy.  Great price too $12 for the chip and a few bucks for parts and your choice of guncon 2 compatible gun.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 10:42:30 pm by BobA »

Tahnok

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2008, 06:09:25 am
  • Error recording error codes. Remaining errors lost
    • Table Arcades
Finally! I bought a guncon a while ago when the drivers first started coming out. Once the new lightguns hit the scene though development stopped and my guncon has been sitting around since. Someone needs to try this and post the results.
Note: Out of town with limited internet access 2-28-08 through 3-16-08

Bartop/Countertop Cabinet Kits For Sale

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
Finally! I bought a guncon a while ago when the drivers first started coming out. Once the new lightguns hit the scene though development stopped and my guncon has been sitting around since. Someone needs to try this and post the results.

Unfortunately..... this is NOT new news. 

That circuit diagram has been up there for a year and a half or more. Andy himself was experimenting with getting it to work, but no commercial product has appeared from him as a result of that.

It has already been tried by a couple of people on here..... Me included.... It simply didn't work properly and requires a vast amount more driver work before it will work.

As you said, development on it stopped.... It stopped because it was simply too difficult to achieve and the cost of light guns and LED Guns which will work on the PC dropped.

Sorry to dump on your party boys but it doesn't work right now.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 05:18:50 am by Fozzy The Bear »
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
Thats about right. I have had some feedback from users who have got this to work, and I have also got it to work myself reasonably well. But it was never 100% satisfactory because the driver did not blank the screen when fired. So the response depended on the screen brightness and content.
It was not viable to produce a product based on this driver as the support issues would have been too great.
Having said that, it was a long time ago and maybe there was a later version of the driver.
What I can say though is that every person who ordered a J-PAC chip for this purpose, I asked for feedback on the results and I never heard from anyone other than a couple of people who got it to work, so that does not indicate a great success.
I was assuming no response meant that it never worked.
Andy

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Darn  :'( :'(

Tahnok

• Offline Offline
    • Table Arcades
Dang. So it looks like it has the same problems as the software-only drivers. Too bad.

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.
I'm still holding out hope for the wiimote solving all our gun problems...  ;D

Tahnok

• Offline Offline
    • Table Arcades
I'm still holding out hope for the wiimote solving all our gun problems...  ;D
Only if we see some sort of calibration system. Right now it's all relative; the cursor just kind of gets in the area of where it's being pointed and moves from there. A calibration system that requires the user to point at the different corners of the screen seems like it would work fairly well though, as long as the user doesn't move in the middle of the game.

The wiimote isn't cheap either. The remote, plus some sort of gun attachment, plus a bluetooth adapter, plus possibly some sort of power source for the LED bar, would all add up.