Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Getting ready to build...  (Read 8849 times)

GAtekwriter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2011, 09:55:44 am
Getting ready to build...
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:17:08 am »
Hi, my name is Jim - I'm a freelance tech writer in Atlanta, Georgia.  I've been lurking and reading for a while and finally bought my copy of the book.  I've read it all and am preparing to purchase the supplies for the initial cabinet build... hopefully starting this weekend or next.  I'll be documenting the entire process, with photographs, and posting here.

Since this area of the forum is about the book, I would like to add a few comments about the book for those considering purchasing.  These aren't criticisms of the book but personal comments that I feel someone wanting to jump in might consider:

1.  The building instructions for the cabinet are okay, but not complete.  I'm okay with basic woodworking, but I had a difficult time with some of the written descriptions that lacked a photograph.  Luckily, through this website and forum, I've seen some of these holes "filled" with others' comments.  (As an example, I had a hard time understanding the part where the author described using the small extra pieces that are cut as guides for placing the cabinet pieces together.  This is mentioned at the top of page 36.)  I also had visual problems with the method used for cutting the 45-degree angle (Figure 2-5  on page 30) but I think I've figured out how to do it.

2.  Chapter 7 is where my biggest problems are found.  The coverage of actually wiring up the Control Panel (CP) is vague - the options available are covered in excellent detail, but the actual wiring of the CP is really not covered.  There are some basic descriptions of soldering and some of the wiring components used, but this crucial step in the process is where I feel the book is most lacking.  Again, through examination of various projects in this forum, I've sort of figured out what to do.  But I do believe that if someone is simply given this book, with no other resources available, many readers will find it near impossible to actually wire up a CP based on what's described.

I'll add some more comments later about other sections of the book, but I just wanted to comment now on some of the more troubling items that I anticipate might slow me down.  I'm ready to build... I'll post here again once I've actually got some steps and pictures to share.

Jim

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2017, 07:20:15 pm
  • Game Not Over
Re: Getting ready to build...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:09:57 pm »
I have to agree.  I struggled to find out how to wire leaf spring switches.  which is common and which is hot?  or does it matter?

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 09:20:47 am »
I have to agree.  I struggled to find out how to wire leaf spring switches.  which is common and which is hot?  or does it matter?

It doesn't matter.  You can wire ground to either.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 09:30:09 pm »
Hi guys - I appreciate the feedback! Several things were cut or reduced to make the page count - as is I was something like 50-100 pages over :(  If --- *IF* --- they let me do a second revision things like this will get corrected :)

--- saint
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:04:38 am »

If you do a second revision I'll give you $50 to put my name in the acknowledgements.   ;D

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:08:50 am »
Don't get me wrong, Saint... between the book and this website, I'm certain I can find my answers.  For me, the wiring is the part I'm most concerned about... I'm sure, for others, the wiring is a piece of cake and maybe it's the woodworking. 

I do hope you get a chance to do a 2nd edition - I'm also a writer and I'm being asked right now to consider doing a sequel to my last book ( LEGO Mindstorms NXT: The Mayan Adventure ).  I know writing is tiring and the editing process can be a real pain...

I hope sales are still good - I bought my copy 2 weeks ago.  I don't think the information in your book is dated, which is always a good thing :)

Jim
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 11:22:22 am by saint »

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 11:29:13 am »
Thanks Jim! Writing is something I've always enjoyed but never done professionally until this book. It was an eye-opening process to be sure!
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 02:34:19 pm »
Normally I would direct you to http://www.retrorevival.co.uk/site/index.php and download issue number 4 which has a great tutorial on wiring the control panel.  Unfortunately retro revival seems to be gone now, so thats not much help.  Maybe someone has a copy of the pdf files they could put online.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 03:45:54 pm »
Yes, if anyone has this tutorial, I would enjoy seeing it.  Thanks for at least referencing it - lets me know that the information is out there.

Jim

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 07:04:50 pm »
I just found a copy I printed out a year or so ago, if no one does have a copy then I could scan it in and upload it.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 08:05:49 pm »
Thank you, AtomSmasher... I can wait a few days (or even weeks) to see if anyone has a digital copy... but if not, if you have the time and can do so, I'd sure appreciate it.

Jim

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 04:39:37 pm »
AtomSmasher,

Any chance you could scan that document in and email or post it?

Jim

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 05:31:09 pm »
AtomSmasher,

Any chance you could scan that document in and email or post it?

Jim
Here you go:
page 1
page 2
page 3

*saint - if you want me to remove them, then let me know.  I'm assuming since its from a free magazine distributed online that it will be okay.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 06:04:23 pm »
It's good, thanks for checking though :) I was digging to see if I had a mirror to post myself.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 02:46:49 pm »
Woo Hoo!  Nice... thanks, AtomSmasher for posting.  Really appreciate it.  And it's with the IPAC which I've decided seems to be a good option for my cab.

Jim