Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Seattle Area Huddle  (Read 7347 times)

Chris G

• Well then throw me in a dress and call me Sally
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 04:39:59 pm
  • Robotron in progress? I'm on my way.
Seattle Area Huddle
« on: March 16, 2007, 11:22:38 am »
Fair number of Seattle-area folks interested in getting together.

Please add a hit if you're one of them, plus any thoughts you have on how to arrange it.

:cheers:
Chris

badugi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2007, 07:18:14 am
Re: Seattle Area Huddle
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 01:59:36 pm »
I live in Bothell.  Very close to Bothell downtown and SR 522.  I can go to Juanita which is 5 mins away anyways going from Bothell way through Kenmore...where should we meet? 
I need to study...
Live in the life of Christ.

btp2k2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2011, 01:02:36 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 02:45:18 pm »
I am in the Rose Hill area of Kirkland, not far from the Costco.

Also, let's add what you are into, what projects you have done, are doing, etc.....That way, we can get a little background on where every one is coming from.

I have built about 9 cabinets in the last 2 and a half years....seems I am constantly building them. I don't have a garage, so I have to build them outside (which kinda sucks considering where we live). But there are some positives to that...The garage was converted to a bonus room, so I have a nice big space for a game room..and I get a lot of people stopping and asking what I am doing. Generates a lot of interest that way, and I have actually built and sold a few to people stopping to see what is going on.

Right now I am putting the finishing touches on a cabinet loosely based on a Centipede machine, and I am in the beginning stages of a replica "Assault" cabinet. I am also planning out a cabinet that will use a Dreamcast as the brains, so I am interested in learning about gamepad hacks and need help on my soldering skills. I am more than happy to share any knowledge I have from building cabinets and wiring controls, etc.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 02:52:56 pm by btp2k2 »

badugi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2007, 07:18:14 am
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 03:11:30 pm »
just started doing joystick making as a hobby.  Im lucked out because I live with my Uncle who knows how to make furniture and basically have almost every tools needed to build customed sticks and he said just draw the blueprints and he can basically do everything.  Right now I just finished doing basic mods.  I had a used x-arcade modded to happ parts using ps2 pcb board inside.  Right now Im currently waiting for my sanwa parts so I can actually build a fully customized stick for the dreamcast.  My plan is also to make another customized joystick for my friend for his birthday.

However with school and all, Im just scrounging some time to work on it.  I have spring break now until school starts the following Monday.

you have 9 cabs in your house?!  I would love to see your work.  Lets go to your house! :D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 03:18:12 pm by badugi »
I need to study...
Live in the life of Christ.

juggle50

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2022, 02:46:08 pm
  • Your either on the bus or off the bus
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 03:40:24 pm »
I live on Capitol Hill.  Let me know when you are getting together.

Kevin

mailman3028

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2010, 07:52:08 pm
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 04:26:23 pm »
I'm in Marysville. No more arcade junkies from the north end?

btp2k2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 07:14:24 pm »

you have 9 cabs in your house?!  I would love to see your work.  Lets go to your house! :D

No! I wish!!! I have made 9....have 2 left in the house. I have sold em to friends/neighbors. All but the first one I made and the one I am making right now.....

Paladin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 11:46:19 pm »
I'm on about cabinet #9 too.  I have more fun building than playing, so usually end up selling the cabs I make - usually for a loss.  The current lineup is Dr. Who and Star Trek 25th Anniversary pinballs, Defender cocktail restore and MAME cab.  My MAME cab is a 25" Dynamo cabinet with 2 joysticks/6 buttons each.  P1 joystick is an Ultimarc T-Plus.  I like shooters, so the monitor is mounted vertically and is powered by an ArcadeVGA.  Current line up is only about 300 games, as I've weeded out all duplicates and games that I never play.

The PC in my MAME cab is connected to my network via ethernet, and has MP3's and videos on it.  I just got a D-Link Medialounge that wirelessly connects to my network and lets me play music and video that are stored on the MAME cab on my DLP TV (only a 46").  The PC is on all the time connected to a smart strip, so if I want to play a game I just flip the cabinet power switch and it turns on the monitor, marquee and speakers.   The front end is always running.  I use cocktailfe because it's so easy to set up, has a simple display and doesn't use processor power that could interfere with streaming media.

My web page shows a lot of my cabinets, but not the current MAME.  The thing is so big I haven't had the nerve to take the monitor out, do a cap kit and patch/paint the cab.  I rarely play it, so I've been taking my time with this one.

http://home.comcast.net/~dark.paladin

I live in Mountlake Terrace, not far off I-5.  You're all welcome to stop by if you're interested. 

Tom

Chris G

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 11:29:24 am »
Unfortunately, I only recently discovered MAME and this whole cabinet building thing late last year, so I'm working on my first one.  I don't take drugs, so I'm still trying to figure out why the hell it took me so long to become aware of this hobby.   :dizzy:

Anyway, I bought a Pit Fighter cab off CL last November and have been restoring/converting it for the past 4 months.  Everything is done except:

1. designing/building a replacement CP (got the new controls at least)
2. designing/printing marquee and CPO art
3. a bunch of software stuff

Since we have an offer from Paladin, shall we try and arrange a meet there?

Chris

btp2k2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 02:34:16 pm »
I am limited to week day evenings for meetings.

I work 12 hour shifts at night during the weekend, so although I am technically not working during the day on the weekends, I am fast asleep

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 10:41:47 pm »
I work a 3 day 13.5 hour schedule and am available Sunday through Wednesday.  I can usually take time off from work, and have done so to have Saturday evening computer gaming parties.

If anyone want's to stop by during the day, just let me know.

Another idea is to get together at Shortys in Seattle.  I keep talking about going there, but still haven't been:
http://www.shortydog.com/

P.S. Did anyone get any of todays deals from craigslist?  I saw a $50 empty midway cocktail cabinet, and a free Robocop.  I emailed about the Robocop, but didn't get a reply.

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 10:47:02 pm »
I live in west shoreline, just north of the city limit near Shoreline CC.  I don't have any cabs yet, but I am big into hometheater  ;D

I'm free week eves and weekends...

btp2k2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 05:56:09 am »
I work a 3 day 13.5 hour schedule and am available Sunday through Wednesday.  I can usually take time off from work, and have done so to have Saturday evening computer gaming parties.

If anyone want's to stop by during the day, just let me know.

Another idea is to get together at Shortys in Seattle.  I keep talking about going there, but still haven't been:

P.S. Did anyone get any of todays deals from craigslist?  I saw a $50 empty midway cocktail cabinet, and a free Robocop.  I emailed about the Robocop, but didn't get a reply.

Shorty's is OK....way too small and crowded though....if it was double the floor space, it would be awesome. The tables at the booths are actually old pinball machines. Pretty cool, sucking down a cold one, looking through the glass of your table and seeing all the bumpers and play field of some old pinball table

Chris G

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 12:52:48 pm »
I work a 3 day 13.5 hour schedule

Wow, I can barely make it through an 8-hour workday.   :dizzy:

They have "a full array of Organic TV Dinners".   ???

As Ice-Cube might say... I'm down for whatever.  Just to start the ball rolling... how about this coming Tuesday evening?

:cheers:
Chris

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »
I'll be here, so that works for me!  Let's do it!

I've never had an arcade get together, so any ideas for activities?  I've got 2 pinballs and the 2 player MAME in working order.  The Defender cocktail is complete but has a board problem.

I can set up a table in the arcade room with a PC on it if someone wants to bring a certain version of MAME, front end, config files etc.. to mess around with.  I could throw Tron up on the TV and order some pizzas.  I can get bottled water, pop veggies and chips - feel free to BYOB.

Let me know if this is a go and who plans on showing up, so I can start planning and house cleaning.

spllbnd2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2019, 05:31:04 pm
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 01:32:06 am »
Hi all,

I live in south Edmonds close to the Aurora Costco. I work in Kirkland (monday - friday) and weekends off pending the wifes approval (j/k)  ;D

Hey Paladin, you said you're in Terrace close to I-5? anywhere close to Double D Meats on 56th ? I am kind of a close neighbor to you if so, about 5 minutes away.

I think it is a grand idea to have a lot of the BYOAC people from the greater Seattle area meet up somewhere. Who knows, could be a cool thing where every month we could tour someones projects or arcade / game room. Even though mine is full of crap at the moment and not even started.  :)

Life is short... Play Pinball

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 04:23:57 am »
Yea, I'm pretty close to Double D.   I'm just a few blocks from Terrace Creek Park, it's the park with the disc golf course.  I've made myself a promise to get off my behind and play this year as it's been a couple years since I've done it, and my behind could use the exersize.