Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Please post pictures of your workshop  (Read 7176 times)

clockwork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2008, 11:15:29 pm
  • Time to play!
Please post pictures of your workshop
« on: February 05, 2007, 11:15:24 am »
I really need some organizational ideas, shelves, worktables, and whatnot. If anyone would be so kind, please post some pictures of your workshop.
Charlie Brown: I'm still hoping that yesterday will get better.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Please post pictures of your workshop
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:16:26 am »

I'd post some but I don't want to wander in and get lost.  The clutter in there might actually suck me in like quicksand.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:56:35 pm »
Here you go. Don't mind the clutter....I'm waiting on my longer dust collection hose so I can move things around a bit.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 06:21:28 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 09:30:28 pm »
I really need some organizational ideas, shelves, worktables, and whatnot. If anyone would be so kind, please post some pictures of your workshop.

Can't go wrong with some beat up old kitchen cabinets and countertop if you can find it.

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2022, 11:06:19 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 10:24:02 pm »
Here are some pics of my workshop.  We have a 3 stall oversized garage.  I use the 3rd stacked stall for my workshop.  When I need more space I move out the cars.  One thing I did do is painted the floors.  I have really appreciated this, makes for easy cleanup.  The shelving I have is from Menard's, Tough Stuff heavy duty.  It is somewhat expensive but I do like the weight capacity and the easy to see storage.  Peg board is an easy solution, it is cheap and the hooks are cheap. 

The benches are nothing more than some scrap wood thrown together.  The top of the tan bench is 2 1/2 inch thick engineered lumber.  A simple drawer scheme and voila.  The other bench is made from scrap 2X4s from Home depot.  I bought the whole lot for under $10.  Problem is they were probably worth $10.05.  Most were warped or twisted, I used the best and threw out the rest. 

For shelving a cheap option would be the plastic ones I have.  Easy to construct with the tubes inserted into the bottom and you continue to stack them.  The issue with these is weight, they cant hold a lot of weight on the middle to higher levels.  I don't like the metal versions because I seem to move my stuff quite often. 

A word of advice, if you are trying to get organized get some sort of dust collection.  If it is a shop vac, old bagless vacuum, or actual dust collector it is invaluable.  No point getting all organized when you cover it all with dust and debris.  Just my two cents.  (my little dust collector is under the Shopsmith, the blue box is a fine dust collector, and I use that vacuum in one of the pics) 

Hope some of this helps or gives you and idea.  Good luck

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 10:25:18 pm »
more pics of workshop

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 10:26:39 pm »
more   :dunno

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 10:27:44 pm »
I gots mo!

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 10:35:29 pm »
Boy where's your clamps!?!  :dizzy:

All those nice tools and nothing to put your stuff together with.  :-[

Very nice shop.  :cheers: I like the unisaw and the home built air cleaner in particular.
Is the ridgid compressor quiet?

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 10:47:51 pm »
Funny you replied!  I was going to ask you where you bought all yours!  Are those Harbor Freight?  My clamps have a ridge in the middle.  I plan to make some cork blocks so it shouldn't really matter.  I need to buy at least 2X more.  Just cant afford Bessey.  And no the Rigid compressor is not quiet.  It is oil free, I don't know if the oil one is more quiet.  This one had a much higher SCFM rating so this was it.   

The air cleaner was very easy to build.  Furnace squirrel cage and light timer for switch.  It has some serious cleaning power.  I can use the router on MDF all day long with no dust collection.  Airborne dust is eliminated.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 10:58:08 pm »
The clamps I got are jorgensen's heavy duty series. Mostly 18" but I have 8 24" now that I needed to complete my drill press cart (that I haven't started on yet. :dizzy:). I got em all from amazon.com. Cheap, free shipping and these particular clamps are very heavy duty and will last years. Here's a link to some. Now I really need some 12" ones to fill out my collection. Even with the rubber pads on the jorgies I have I still use cauls because the pads leave big oil spots on whatever they're clamping. No big deal though. Cauls should be used anyway to even out clamping pressure.

I may build something like your air cleaner soon. For now I have my big dust collector and a shop vac. They do really good, but I always get a light layer of fine MDF dust after I close up shop. Not much to worry about, just enough to be annoying.

For a compressor, a quiet one is important to me so I'll have to save the pennies for a thomas.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 08:38:58 am by NiteWalker »

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2022, 04:56:10 pm
  • warning: drew can't handle my avatar...
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 12:21:27 am »
that squirrelcage just sits up there and sucks everything up...?

is the intake at the filter and the exhaust at the big hole...or vice-versa...?

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 08:36:42 am »
The intake is at the filter.  1 side is essentially blocked off to create more suction through the filter.  The nice part about using a furnace filter is the controls are typically on the cage.  You can change the settings if you want from high, medium, to low.  Get a hold of a HVAC guy.  My neighbor is one and he throws numerous away every week. 

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 10:11:33 am
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 09:12:05 am »
Awesome.  Great thread.  I'm in the very early stages (i.e. planning) of turning my garage into a workshop.  I have a detached double garage but each bay is too small for even a regular sized car so I'm going to be converting the whole thing (the house was built in 1920 and I imagine the garage was added at a later date but way before SUVs and cars in general got huge).  There are three main things I need to do before I can even begin construction of the walls and tables:

1.  One of the first things I need to do is pour a new floor - right now it is just asphalt and it isn't even close to level.  Is there an easy way to get a nice smooth floor that won't crack but would be easy to sweep up?

2.  I need more electricity.  There is a line running from the house out to the garage but it is not enough to power the overhead lights as well as the tablesaw, mitre saw, shop vac, router, etc.  I had an electrician out to the house for some unrelated work and I asked him to take a look at the garage situation.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be expensive.

3.  I need heat.  I am unsure whether to just set up some space heaters and turn them on as needed or if I should go for a more elaborate set up.  I'm going to be storing my tools out there and I'm not sure if it is OK to leave them out in the cold in between work sessions which realistically can only happen on the weekends with my job and everything.

Any thoughts?  Keep the pics coming - I need all the ideas that I can get!

clockwork

• Offline Offline
  • Time to play!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 01:31:31 pm »
Nice shops! Thanks for all the great pics. I'm going to try putting up some shelves. My problem is that I have to make sure I can still park my car in the garage. I never realized you could get air cleaners. Those are awesome.

Javeryh, you're in basically the same boat I am. My floor is okay but not very smooth. I have only one outlet. And it gets cold. In another thread I posted, some people suggested some nice looking propane heaters, but you need ventilation for those. I also might try insulating. Right now I'm using a space heater, but it doesn't really cut it, and at 1500W output, it can get expensive.

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 04:18:09 pm »
If you decide to fix your floor you might be able to use some acid to etch the asphalt and poor a layer of cement over the top.  Now I know you can do this with an existing concrete floor but I am not sure about asphalt.  It would sure beat busting it all out and starting over.  To make the surface smooth you can purchase garage paint or use a 2 part epoxy like I did.  I bought the product at Menard's, $44 per kit I think.  I ended up using 2 for a 3 car oversized garage. 

Electricity can be very expensive if you get in deep.  One option is to have an electrician come out and explain to him/her what you want and the cost.  Also ask what you can do to cut cost.  I wonder if you have a fuse panel or breaker box since your house was built in the 20's.  I feel breaker boxes are easier to work with but all in all it really comes down to the amperage of you box.  I have 1 10 gauge dedicated line to my Unisaw but it is a 3 phase saw and it uses a phase converter.  The internet will have calculations on what you need for wiring and how to split your equipment.  I would bet someone on here would know the answers too.  I will tell you how mine is set up.
1 - 40 amp dual pole breaker for 220V 10 gauge 4 way wire - table saw only
1 - 20 amp breaker for 110V with 6 outlets 12 gauge 3 way wire - miter saw, shopsmith, dust collector, air cleaner. 
1 - 20 amp breaker for 110V with 6 outlets 12 gauge 3 way wire - rest of miscellaneous power tools, i.e. drill press, jig saw. 

I pulled a permit, ran my own wire, and hooked everything up to the breaker box and outlets.  Not a difficult task you just need to know what you are doing and make a plan on paper and follow it.  And my neighbor is an Electrical Engineer so that helped. 

For heat I do use a electric space heater.  I have 2X6 exterior walls and R-18 insulation in my garage.  That little heater works well but it does eat alot of electricity.  Make sure the heater will not start a fire if dust settles on the coils, if electric. 
I have wanted to install one of these but haven't gotten around to it yet. 
http://www.heatershop.com/propane_garage_heaters.html

Good luck and keep us posted

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 04:22:25 pm »
I don't know the dimensions of your garage, but my father has this system in his garage.  I am 6'5" and I feel I will hit it with my head but it isn't that low.  He has 9' ceilings.  But boy you better hit some studs with those screws.  Probably would not be to nice on the ol' paint job if it fell. 

Nice shops! Thanks for all the great pics. I'm going to try putting up some shelves. My problem is that I have to make sure I can still park my car in the garage. I never realized you could get air cleaners. Those are awesome.

Javeryh, you're in basically the same boat I am. My floor is okay but not very smooth. I have only one outlet. And it gets cold. In another thread I posted, some people suggested some nice looking propane heaters, but you need ventilation for those. I also might try insulating. Right now I'm using a space heater, but it doesn't really cut it, and at 1500W output, it can get expensive.

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 06:37:45 pm »
I'm just getting started.

But I'm hoping to do the whole epoxy floor thing after we get our tax return.  We're also going to do White Melamine cabinets down the whole wall that is not pictured, that should help relieve some of the clutter.

I'd also like to do some lumber storage racks on the wall above the table saw.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 06:41:07 pm by Timoe »

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 07:11:43 pm »
Nice shop timoe.  :cheers: All you guys with more space than me... :angry: :banghead: :cry:

How do you like the ridgid saw? I was eyein that one but decided on the delta 36-980. It shows up friday.  :applaud:

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 07:26:03 pm »
Nice shop timoe.  :cheers: All you guys with more space than me... :angry: :banghead: :cry:

How do you like the ridgid saw? I was eyein that one but decided on the delta 36-980. It shows up friday.  :applaud:

I used to have a cheapie Craftsman table saw and BOY what a difference this Rigid makes.  I can actually make accurate cuts now with no extra effort.

The old saw could only fit 3/8" to maybe 1/2" dado stacks and only 6" dado blade (no 8")
The Miter Bar track was this smaller non standard slot that wouldnt take any accessoris
The throat plate was weird so there was no way to make my own zero clearance inserts
There was play with the miter bar in the miter track so cross cuts were difficult to keep accurate
I would always have to check the rip fence to make sure it was square

All those issues are gone now with the Rigid saw.

I threw a couple 3/4" 4x8 sheets of plywood at it by myself and the thing is so solid it didnt even budge.  Made easy rips.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 07:29:23 pm by Timoe »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 06:21:28 pm
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 07:38:15 pm »

I hear ya Nite! My next house will have some dedicated space for a workshop. I worked outside a lot! I spend a decent amount of time pulling everything I need out and putting it away. I'm thinking I'd love to have a detached garage for my next workshop.

I don't need more organization... no no no... I need a lot more space!  ;D

clockwork

• Offline Offline
  • Time to play!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 08:17:31 pm »
I don't need more organization... no no no... I need a lot more space!  ;D

I hear ya, Lew. Right now I have to move my car out of the garage, unpack all my stuff, then stack it all back up when I'm done. Of course, I got lazy and just started parking outside, just in time for the -5 weather.

You guys are making me want to buy a house and build me a workshop. Damn this is one expensive hobby! ;D

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 08:19:34 pm »
Damn this is one expensive hobby! ;D

Understatement of the year for sure! :cheers:

spacies

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2015, 03:40:49 am
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 07:43:07 pm »
I dare not show mine at the moment.

It looks like a arcade cabinet graveyard!

Orders I have to complete:

9 original cocktails to restore ( 1 client ) Complete refits with all new internals.
4 of my shiney cocktails to build and deliver.
1 Donkey Kong upright to complete.
1 Williams Defender to replace front kick panel (water damage) and do the battery, switcher mods.
1 Generic cabinet to be fited with PC.

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Anyone want a job?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 07:45:53 pm by spacies »

spiffykyle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 08:13:59 pm
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 02:19:11 pm »

I hear ya, Lew. Right now I have to move my car out of the garage, unpack all my stuff, then stack it all back up when I'm done. Of course, I got lazy and just started parking outside, just in time for the -5 weather.

You guys are making me want to buy a house and build me a workshop. Damn this is one expensive hobby! ;D

Honestly, this is a big reason why I wanted to buy a house. I currently have a 1 car garage in my apartment and its a pain when I want to work out there.

We're starting to move now and the first load of stuff I brought to the new house were all of my tools. Gonna be nice to have a dedicated workshop for once.
A wise man once said, "Forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo-

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 07:16:58 pm »
The intake is at the filter.  1 side is essentially blocked off to create more suction through the filter.  The nice part about using a furnace filter is the controls are typically on the cage.  You can change the settings if you want from high, medium, to low.  Get a hold of a HVAC guy.  My neighbor is one and he throws numerous away every week. 
Since I'm feeling super lazy here.  Do you have a diagram and/or part numbers of what you used to build this?  Every time I do anything in the garage the dust blankets everything.  Impossible to clean up completely.

I'll post some pics of the garage soon.  I also have a Porter Cable box, you know, just to keep in the spirit of the other workshops.
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

clockwork

• Offline Offline
  • Time to play!
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 08:01:43 pm »
Those plans would be nice. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at building one, but for now I think I'll just buy one. How does that filter of yours do, NiteWalker?

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 08:32:45 pm »
This one?

It works great, but at the moment it only hooks up to the table saw. Once my router table is complete it'll hook up to that as well. For the portable power tools I just use this:

And it works great. I still need an air cleaner though, which is different from a dust collection system. An air cleaner gets the fine dust that settles after you turn the lights off in the shop.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 08:45:37 pm by NiteWalker »

clockwork

• Offline Offline
  • Time to play!
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 08:43:53 pm »
Yeah, that's the one. I had thought it was some sort of air filter. Still, I need something like that. So you can pretty much just use that as a vacuum, right?

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 11:50:03 pm »
I will take some more pics and describe how the air cleaner was built tomorrow.  I thought I had a website bookmarked with some general instructions.  I believe Penn state industries has a "kit" you can buy.  My total cost was $35 which was mostly the cost of a case of filters.  More to come tomorrow.

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 11:57:49 pm »
This is the actual article where I got the idea to build my own.  The key is getting a hold of an HVAC guy to see if they have any old motors.  One of my neighbors is an HVAC guy and told me the motors are rarely bad.  Usually the "upgrade" or complete new furnace, etc is the reason for removal.  He gave me two fans so I will take pics tomorrow of the unused one.  Take a look at the site and it will give you a good idea.   Like before more to come tomorrow. 

http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com/airfilter.htm

p.s. this guy has some other good stuff as links under miscellaneous
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 12:05:29 am by flyguy1821 »

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2007, 12:30:15 am »
I've been meaning to build one of those. Thanks for the link. I don't know an HVAC guy though, so I'll likely have to buy the fan. Still cheaper than the jet AFS-1000B, which is a great model btw.

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2007, 10:27:55 am »
These are the steps to make an air cleaner.  It really is a simple process.  I will describe how I built mine, make any necessary modifications for your setup. 

1. Obtain a motor/cage setup.  I did purchase a smaller motor but it had no kick.  If you don't know a HVAC guy call one and ask if they have any old furnace motors laying around or if they will get one.  Once again my guy told me he pulls 5-10 a week and they go to the landfill!!

2. Once you know the dimension of the motor/cage go to a hardware store and buy some furnace filters.  Don't the crappy blue ones, they don't have a low enough micron rating to do anything.  The filter and motor will determine the size of your cleaner.  I purchased a 12 X 20 X 1 filter because they were cheap and a little larger than my motor/cage. 

3. Build a simple box with one side still open.  I used simple biscuit joinery with a pocket hole jig.  The filter side will need a lip or something the filter can lay up against.  The pics don't do a good job of showing what I mean.  I routed a 3/4 edge all around my insert for the filter.  You will also need to cut a hole for the opening of the motor/cage for the air to be blown out.  Easy trace and cut step

4. Mount the fan and hook up wiring before installing filter insert.  Simple step again.  **Note, some fans will have a variable speed switch still attached.  Mine does but for the moment I am not using it.  I attached a pic to show a normal switch.**  My HVAC guy told me the reason why most motors are replaced is from a bad capacitor or switch.  I bought a replacement 12 gauge cord with ground and hookd er up. 

5. Install/prep wiring for fan hookup.  I am using a timer switch, I believe it was for a Sauna?  This way when I am finished with whatever I am doing I leave it on for 60 minutes or so and don't have to come back out to turn it off. 

6. Paint and hang.  I took a piece of my Delta unisaw into Menard's to paint match.  I have actually used the paint match to touch up some spots on my saw.  I love paint match, it is great.  The hanging was also simple, eyehooks and chain. 

7. Turn on.  Finito!  My dad one upped me last year by buying all new Delta X5 equipment.  Table saw, band saw, jointer, planer, dust collector, and jig saw.  The one thing he is jealous of is my homebrew air cleaner.  The X5 air cleaner is ridiculously high in $$ especially when you can make this one for little to nothing.  Still if you don't have a dust collector I would recommend that be your first step in combatting dust.  Good luck and I want pics if someone makes one!!!

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2007, 10:29:05 am »
more build pics

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2007, 10:30:59 am »
and more

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 10:46:37 am »
Very nice build. I'm not a big fan of pocket joinery though...

Searching for a blower now...

clockwork

• Offline Offline
  • Time to play!
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2007, 11:50:23 am »
Kick ass, Flyguy. Thanks a lot. I think I'll take a shot at building one of these. Do you have any actual plans/pics of the enclosure? I'm not sure how to mount the filters.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2007, 11:54:18 am »
Bremil, you have an email.  :cheers:

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2007, 02:36:41 pm »
Kick ass, Flyguy. Thanks a lot. I think I'll take a shot at building one of these. Do you have any actual plans/pics of the enclosure? I'm not sure how to mount the filters.

To mount the filter you need to create an lip or rabbit so the filter can be pushed up against it.  To make it easy, make a box with no holes at all.  Lay the filter on one side an trace the dimension onto your wood.  Measure 3/4 inches in from all sides and cut out with a jig saw.  Next, using a router with a 3/4 inch rabbiting bit, run along all the edges to creat your rabbit or lip.  Make sure the filter fits into the rabbit and install the clips.  The little clips I purchased at Menard's in the screens and windows section. 

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 01:32:13 am »
Thanks Flyguy!  Yeah, that is really easy.  I'll start asking around for a furnace motor this week.

I have a stupid question though.  Which way does the air go?  I know nothing about blowers.  Does it pull the dust inside and collect on the inside of the filter or on the outside?
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

flyguy1821

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2007, 01:36:20 am »
It suck it into the filter, outside of the box in.  The round opening on the cage is the intake.  The filter does have a direction too, usually an arrow on it. 

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2007, 06:20:19 pm »
Nice shop timoe.  :cheers: All you guys with more space than me... :angry: :banghead: :cry

Be careful what you envy. My father ran into the same problem as many people do, not enough space for his wood working. At the time, he owned three homes side by side, two of them twins. Forty years ago, he decided to convert one of the twins into a workshop. I grew up with it, but people tell me it's a little mind blowing when they realize the house is really a workshop. After his death, we removed approximately 4 1/2 cubic tons of... material to be hauled away and we're nowhere near completing the work. It's depressing being forced to gut and tear down the workshop like that :cry: I salvaged what I could but a mere garage can't compete with the shear volume.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2007, 06:35:35 pm »
I'm going to be storing my tools out there and I'm not sure if it is OK to leave them out in the cold in between work sessions which realistically can only happen on the weekends with my job and everything.

My father stored nearly all of his tools in his workshop year around. Since it wasn't safe for him to run any heat in the shop (dust, chemicals etc), he often used the tools in below zero temperatures (tough guy). I've stored many of my tools in the same below freezing temps for years. As far as I'm concerned, heat is really more of a comfort and safety thing for the person using the tools, not for the tools themselves. I doubt your table saw is going to call you Scrooge for not giving it another piece of coal.

My biggest problems I encountered wasn't the cold, but the moisture. Electrical equipment sometimes attracted moisture inside as the circuits heated up. If you think ahead, leave the tool inside a warm room until it warms up or bring the work to where the tool is. The other problem is calibrated equipment. The cold causes materials to contract throwing off the calibration. I don't own anything so sensitive that they have to be kept at room temp, but you might.