Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 15 amp motor too much?  (Read 3657 times)

Druxar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2007, 02:17:02 pm
15 amp motor too much?
« on: December 25, 2006, 11:26:06 pm »
I'm trying to choose everything I will buy including circular saw, and I see a lot of 15amp models.  I know that a lot of my house breakers are 15amp...

Is this to suggest I will always be popping breakers when I want to use the saw (assuming I'm only running the saw on the circuit) or does a 15amp motor not necessarily draw that if you aren't trying to cut through bricks?  I wouldn't want to buy a 15A and then have it kill the lights every time I pull the trigger

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
Re: 15 amp motor too much?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 12:16:57 pm »
It depends to some degree on the saw. Some saws, especially table saws, have a "soft start" feature where the blade starts spinning slowly and quickly ramps up to max speed to prevent blowing a circuit breaker. Most circular saws don't have this feature. The other thing to consider is that the manufacturer's claimed power (= amperage) may or may not be accurate.

If you're concerned, I'd suggest buying from someplace with a liberal return policy. Give the saw a try and return it if it doesn't work. I'm not sure what my circular saw is rated at, but I've never had a problem running it on a 15A circuit...

Xam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2011, 11:16:45 pm
  • " Oh my heavens; good gracious. Cro-Magnons."
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 06:10:52 pm »
What kind of saw are you contemplating? 15A is a BIG saw motor. Most entry level circular saws are around 7A.

Xam
Can't talk to a psycho like a normal human being.

Druxar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2007, 02:17:02 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 07:34:28 pm »
There wasn't a specific one, I saw 15amp 7 1/4 blade saws from Makita, Dewalt, Craftsman, Bosch, all in the low to mid $100 price range which I thought was affordable.  I saw a 13amp, 12 amp, 14 amp...just all in one online store site somewhere and all from $99 to $150 so I figured that was normal power rating range and I feared it being too extreme.

Xam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 08:26:33 pm »
Those are the nicer saws...if you are only planning on using it occassionally, its probably overkill...if for regular use, those would be very nice. You can buy a nice entry to moderate level saw for between $40 and $75.

Xam

Xam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 10:18:28 pm »
What kind of saw are you contemplating? 15A is a BIG saw motor. Most entry level circular saws are around 7A.

Xam

Ahhhh! I spoke from my arse for moment here...please forgive the bad info. I was thinking of reciprocating saws. Most circular saws DO have an Amp rating of 12-15.

Sorry once again,
Xam