Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What kind of external caulk/sealent is this?  (Read 2484 times)

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
What kind of external caulk/sealent is this?
« on: November 27, 2006, 10:37:14 am »
I'm not having any luck asking the people at Home Depot and figure some people here will know.

I need to reseal around the pipes/etc coming into my house.  Originally they used what appears to be some kind of putty or something, but it's about ten years old and I can't really tell anymore.  Recently I got FIOS installed and they used more of a translucent silicone or caulk.  What is the translucent stuff called?  Or does any know a model name so I can look it up and see what I am looking for.  I can't seem to find anything other then the normal white kitchen/bathroom stuff.

Thanks

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
Re: What kind of external caulk/sealent is this?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:40:28 am »
RTV maybe?  Don't have a tube in front of me but I think the stuff I have at home is made by Dow/Corning.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 10:45:25 am »

It's probably just a standard clear outdoor silicone caulk.  Any hardware store will carry it.  It's not that different from the bathroom stuff but is rated for a larger range of temperatures.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:02:52 am »

It's probably just a standard clear outdoor silicone caulk.  Any hardware store will carry it.  It's not that different from the bathroom stuff but is rated for a larger range of temperatures.

That stuff is great for sealing around outer walls. I sealed off my new frame with it, and no cold air whatsoever gets thru. I haven't even put in the sealing foam yet.

It is fairly expensive as far as caulk goes though. I happened to get a few tubes on clearance at Lowes for $1 each. 8)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 11:06:01 am »
At least I know I am not insane, as that is what I've been looking for.  The local HD as far as I can tell doesn't seem to carry it.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 11:28:49 am »

That would be really odd.  The HD here carries several varieties of it. 

I am in the process of redoing the white silicone caulk around all of my windows on the inside.  Just stripping and recaulking the picture window alone made a huge difference in my living room.  I'd say it was last done when the windows were installed ten years ago.

The stuff I hate is the nonpaintable bathroom caulk.  It doesn't smooth out with a finger like the paintable stuff does... I can never get the tub/sink done without it looking all chunky.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 12:06:28 pm »
It's a smaller home depot, I forget what store the original building was built for.  They don't have a lot of things, but it's really convenient.  They do have the external silicone caulk in white, just not the translucent.  BTW, I did a search on HD and Lowes site for it and they didn't appear to have it online either.

I've done all the bathrooms and when I repainted the house I redid all the windows, trim, etc with it.  My problem isn't with the chunkiness but sometimes I smooth it a bit wide and have to clean it up.  Usually only happens when I'm at the end.  As for price, I had no problems spending the extra cash on it now to prevent having to redo in a few years.  I also replaced any outside trim that may rot or was rotted with the nylon?? trim.  That stuff is great.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 12:15:57 pm »

Eh, the extra cash is only a couple of bucks... but that lifetime guarantee they give?  ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---.  I've never seen it last more than 5-6 years even inside.  It eventually shrinks and starts to separate from the surfaces.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 12:40:05 pm »
It's a smaller home depot, I forget what store the original building was built for.  They don't have a lot of things, but it's really convenient.  They do have the external silicone caulk in white, just not the translucent.  BTW, I did a search on HD and Lowes site for it and they didn't appear to have it online either.

Both of their websites suck when it comes to trying to find some products.  I know that some of it is determined by your zip code so that they only show products available in your area, but it's still pathetic compared to most major retailer's websites.  I think its simply not a priority for them.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 12:43:01 pm »

Many retail stores barely break even with their website if they do at all.  It's a loss leader to get you to shop there and hopefully go into the store/keep loyalty.  Even the big B/M stores don't make all that much off their web stores.