Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel Database: Post a picture of your Control Panel!  (Read 754571 times)

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
Re: Control Panel Database: Post a picture of your Control Panel!
« Reply #240 on: November 19, 2007, 10:42:32 am »
mine is 42" wide I lift the control panel top off and then the bottom base can be removed by removing the 9 screws that holds it in place from moving it back and forth sliding my the cp bottom actually slide's in and locks by butting up to the sides of the cab the way I have it cut and then the 9 screws hold it place shown on picture 8 on page 6 of my posy toward the bottom of the page

the top has push down clamps so a little force down the on the cp top and they lock into place and a little tug upwards pops it loose.

if I did not do it that way it would have nevermade it through a standard door.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:10:15 pm by northerngames »

Franco

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #241 on: November 19, 2007, 11:23:06 am »
Well my 1st build cab is now on the great big scrap heap in the sky (well actually it is in limbo after having its guts ripped out but its on its way) but I can least pay a little homage to it by posting a picture here:

2x Ultimarc T-Sticks

2x Happ Rotaries with custom turned alluminum joysticks and stainless steel dustwashers.

Where'd you get those aluminum joystick handles?  (crosses fingers that it's not slikstik)

I made mine myself but you can buy similar ones from here or from here.

camsauce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2015, 06:39:26 pm
    • Spencer*Arcade
« Reply #242 on: November 21, 2007, 01:30:28 am »
Where'd you get those aluminum joystick handles?  (crosses fingers that it's not slikstik)
[/quote]

I made mine myself but you can buy similar ones from here or from here.
[/quote]

Just looked at your cocktail table thread, and you my friend have some serious metal skills.  Here comes the obvious question -- IF you were willing, how much for 16 of those aluminum bezels and 2 sticks?

Franco

« Reply #243 on: November 22, 2007, 11:00:55 am »
Im afraid I wouldnt be able to make the sticks any cheaper than those ones im afraid due to only making a couple compared to the production runs that those guys would do.

You should have a PM incoming about the bezels tho  ;)

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 10:42:30 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #244 on: November 26, 2007, 12:39:08 am »
Just wanted to post a pic of my first panel before I tore it apart recently. It's built out of a 48" shelf that I bought from the hardware store. At the time, I didn't have a saw, so I asked them to rip it to the pieces that I needed. It's cheap 5/8" particle board with cheap wood grain laminate on it. I ordered Happ Ultimate buttons and a Happ Ultimate stick for it because I didn't know any better. For about 5 years, It ran on a keyboard hack. I had plug the thing in, reboot and play my games. If I wanted to use the keyboard again, I had to reboot again. When I got MAME fever again earlier this year, I ordered the iPac and installed it.

The holes in the upper right were for the P1 & P2 start buttons, but I drilled them before putting the top on the base and to my chagrin, they didn't clear the sides. D'OH!. But with my lemons, I made lemonade and used the ugly holes to route the PS2 cable out of the box.

The hideous series of holes below the joystick are there because the stick shaft was bottoming out and I didn't have a way to route some room, so I drilled a bunch of holes. It used to be a mess of 24ga solid wire connected to .250" 18-22ga female quick disconnects. When I installed the iPac, I just threw all that crap out and soldered everything. Also while I was doing that, I used my rotary tool with the drywall cutting bit and the depth attachment to route out another 1/2" of clearance for the stick. It took a long time and looks pretty rough, but I was able to beat the particle board to submission and get the extra clearance I wanted.

Well, that's it for our tour of my first jankey old control panel. I'm going first class on the my next one. The next one will actually be attached to a damn arcade cabinet this time.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 12:44:42 am by Namco »

Darth Nuno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 09:56:44 am
  • Namco is God !
    • Arcade Lifestyle / Dragon's Lair Fans
« Reply #245 on: November 29, 2007, 01:03:58 pm »
Here's my first custom panel, done three years ago.

Starting point :

...then...

The result :

All the construction right here

jacenwon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2015, 04:46:17 pm
  • Professional Creative & Designer
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2007, 02:06:28 pm »
Best pic of my CP is from before I put it on the cab:

props! i had to - it doesn't get much sexier that that ^^^
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
• 2014 MAME cabinet build: http://tinyurl.com/jaces-mamecab-2014
• 2008 MAME Neo29 build: http://tinyurl.com/jaces-neo29-2008
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Teknique

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2015, 10:35:46 am
  • I'm a Gauntlet wizard in real life
« Reply #247 on: December 20, 2007, 09:06:39 am »
Here is my (3rd) CP.  It has 2x 49ways with aluminum bat handles, 2x LS-30s, arkanoid spinner and happs trackball.  It also sports built-in cup holders.  No artwork yet (Im having trouble finding someone willing to let me pay them to do it) but eventually will have some type of ninja theme.  If you can't make out the marquee, the name of the arcade is 'Baby Shoguns'.  The CP is loosely based on a Slik Stik Quad modified to work with a UA2 cab. 

Tek
Your screen name has been added to my frag list.

XyloSesame

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2020, 11:08:24 am
  • the creepy prince guy...
    • The Nightingale Theater
« Reply #248 on: December 20, 2007, 10:09:37 am »
Here is my (3rd) CP.  It has 2x 49ways with aluminum bat handles, 2x LS-30s, arkanoid spinner and happs trackball.  It also sports built-in cup holders.  No artwork yet (Im having trouble finding someone willing to let me pay them to do it) but eventually will have some type of ninja theme.  If you can't make out the marquee, the name of the arcade is 'Baby Shoguns'.  The CP is loosely based on a Slik Stik Quad modified to work with a UA2 cab. 

Tek

I'm not typically a fan of the larger panels, but Tek, you did it right... The panel wrapping around the cab is a great touch and ties it all together; good job!

rdenis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2011, 04:19:38 pm
« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2007, 06:09:48 pm »
Here is my first CP from my newly completed first project.  It is 34 x 18 and made from 3/4" maple ply.  The CPO is custom designed and was printed my Mame Marquees.  Two player panel with 7 buttons per player, U-360 joysticks, TurboTwist 2 Spinner and Betson Imperial 3" trackball (RGB).  Pinball buttons are located on each side of the control panel base.  Buttons to the right of spinner are left and right mouse controls.  The control panel top has two hidden hinges in the front so it opens away from the monitor glass for maintenance and storage of my LCD TopGun.

Lighting is controlled by LED Wiz driving 8 RGB buttons, 1 RGB trackball, and 5 single LEDs.

Unlit:

Lit:

DARRYLICSHON

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2008, 04:11:03 pm
  • I wish i didn't love vides games so much
    • DARRYLICSHON
« Reply #250 on: December 22, 2007, 08:30:38 pm »
thats really nice      :applaud:
Missile Command RULES !!!!!!

Teknique

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2015, 10:35:46 am
  • I'm a Gauntlet wizard in real life
« Reply #251 on: December 25, 2007, 07:23:18 am »

I'm not typically a fan of the larger panels, but Tek, you did it right... The panel wrapping around the cab is a great touch and ties it all together; good job!

Thanks X , appreciate the feedback!
Your screen name has been added to my frag list.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #252 on: December 31, 2007, 03:51:41 pm »

Tek

Must agree.  I'm planning a 4-player CP, but have been struggling with how NOT to make it look like an air-craft carrier.  I can only hope to come up with something as nice, otherwise...well...one day a new CP pic will show up, looking just like that  ;)

Arcade Freak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2008, 01:12:06 pm
« Reply #253 on: January 10, 2008, 08:23:54 am »
All you guys have some serious cool CP. But tell me something guys are all those CP been crafted by some artist or are they somekind of sticker. if they are stickers or just art word that was downloaded were  do we get such thing.

Also, making a new cabinet or CP what is the best type of wood to use?

Thanks
Cheers,
Calude

Kabukiman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2010, 11:20:01 am
« Reply #254 on: January 11, 2008, 11:33:36 pm »
Here's a pic of mine still need to do the T-moulding, btw the joysticks arent installed just sitting there :)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:41:17 pm by Kabukiman »
Cabinets:
Time Killers
Neo-Geo Big Red MVS-4-25 (ver. 3)
Dreamcast Cabinet
Mame Cab

working on- nothing for now

Kajoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:22:29 pm
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2008, 12:07:46 pm »
Now theres a control panel you don't have to worry about bumping elbows! LOL

How wide is that kabukiman?

I'm diggin the overlay as well,  I need to get something done for my Super Turbo cabinet soon... still just have painted MDF under the plexi

Kabukiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2008, 01:17:10 pm »
it's actually 48 inches wide, the reason I made it so wide is the comfort of having alot of room between players, I have a dedicated Golden axe cab that I bump elbows on all the time so I wanted more room.
Cabinets:
Time Killers
Dreamcast Cabinet
Mame Cab

Arcade Freak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #257 on: January 16, 2008, 07:45:10 am »
hi folks,

the CP and some cabinets are pretty cool. i am new at all this so i ask, how do you guys decorate those CP or cabinets. are they stickers with a plexi glass over it. or are they painted...please do tell?

cheers,
calude

Kabukiman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #258 on: January 16, 2008, 08:50:10 am »
I purchased mine from mamemarquees.com, you can have a custom one made as well, but I chose a pre-made CPO, it's a very strong scratch resistant material that I applied to the top of my CP by removing the backing then covered with Plexi-glass(not needed but I wanted the extra protection)
Cabinets:
Time Killers
Dreamcast Cabinet
Mame Cab

mrbones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2011, 12:25:39 pm
    • ATVFlorida.com
« Reply #259 on: January 16, 2008, 02:10:50 pm »
Noting too fancy here, it was a NeoGeo conversion metal CP that I put a color photo under with new plexi. Wico joysticks, happ buttons. Maybe someday I'll get the whole thing done with a CP from mamemarquees and replace the black stuff with the entire image. Either way, it looks cool and was fairly cheap and easy to do.

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2008, 09:35:51 pm »
Noting too fancy here, it was a NeoGeo conversion metal CP that I put a color photo under with new plexi. Wico joysticks, happ buttons. Maybe someday I'll get the whole thing done with a CP from mamemarquees and replace the black stuff with the entire image. Either way, it looks cool and was fairly cheap and easy to do

You wanna talk about not being fancy? hehe, look at my carboard mock-up of the basic layout for player 1 I made an hour ago. Hell, even made out of cardboard, it is stull fun to play  :laugh2:

BTW, I know the buttons arent in the "perfect" spots, just wanted to use cardboard to map out the basic layout to get an idea before I go to wood for this. BTW, anyone have any suggestions about the basic layout I have here?

--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

Arcade Freak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #261 on: January 18, 2008, 10:02:40 am »
Noting too fancy here, it was a NeoGeo conversion metal CP that I put a color photo under with new plexi. Wico joysticks, happ buttons. Maybe someday I'll get the whole thing done with a CP from mamemarquees and replace the black stuff with the entire image. Either way, it looks cool and was fairly cheap and easy to do.

hey mrbones,

if you have not said that it was cheap and easy to do...it just looks like another CP done professionally. So with that said...it being cheap...please do tell some more. were did you get such a picture and how did you get that printed with that lenght.

cheers
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:05:52 am by Arcade Freak »

BrentRadio

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2021, 06:26:04 am
  • Stop by for a game and a beer!
    • Jack Daniel's Barcade!
« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2008, 01:41:30 am »
Here's mine. I wanted to be able to play any and all games so I went a little overboard...

Brent

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2008, 03:38:11 am »
You need to work a bit on your Photoshop skills though  :angel:
This signature is intentionally left blank

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2022, 04:56:10 pm
  • warning: drew can't handle my avatar...
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2008, 09:20:34 pm »
Here's mine. I wanted to be able to play any and all games so I went a little overboard...

pft...only _two_ player one buttons...?!?

whatever man...

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #265 on: January 23, 2008, 02:29:59 am »

Except 2 player 2 joystick games...  :laugh2:

BTW, Id like to know how you got that green button to mount where the bolt/screw for that joystick would normally be? I am presuming ctrl+c and then ctrl+v?
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

Xali

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2009, 01:06:35 pm
    • www.xazax.com
« Reply #266 on: January 23, 2008, 04:04:51 pm »

Buttons are already in but forgot to take a picture of it ... i will post it later :)

bfauska

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #267 on: January 23, 2008, 05:20:53 pm »
Cool artwork, but doesn't it make you feel a little dirty grabbing the joysticks?  >:D

Xali

• Offline Offline
    • www.xazax.com
« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2008, 03:15:32 am »
Only if you think dirty hehehe  :laugh2:

pcb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2019, 05:27:26 pm
    • MikesArcade.com
« Reply #269 on: January 24, 2008, 04:28:25 pm »
Here's my latest, hope it's OK to post here.  The panel is 10 1/2" deep, 26 1/6" wide.  USB or PS/2.  I built this one yesterday.

Best,

- Mike -

Kajoq

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:22:29 pm
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2008, 08:18:01 pm »
Xali,  Is there any way I could get a copy of the high rez of that image?  Thats pretty awesome, and matches the color scheme on my control panel pretty well

Xali

• Offline Offline
    • www.xazax.com
« Reply #271 on: January 25, 2008, 02:47:58 am »
The size of my control panel is +/- 63 x 21 cm ... i am making a bartop cabinet ... here is the link to a .png http://home.tiscali.nl/socali/plaatjes/control-panel2_a.png

I hope you can use it :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 02:52:27 am by Xali »

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #272 on: January 25, 2008, 06:20:52 am »
Hey another dutch guy.

Nice overlay. I would personally have moved the guys to the left though. I wouldn't have put the joysticks on the genitals :P

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2008, 01:14:45 pm »

Brent

Did you spec this design out using Light Brite.  ;) That's one busy layout. Curious to know. Is that six spinners, and if so, why?
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2008, 01:26:15 pm »
That's a photoshop job.

Here's the prototype that's keeping me from finishing:

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #275 on: January 31, 2008, 05:39:46 am »
Here's my first fully completed control panel.  Details:

Pole Position wheel hardware wtih Super Sprint wheel - interfaced with Oscar mouse hack,
Hard Drivin' 4-speed shifter + 3 buttons interfaced with IPAC.

I 'designed' the artwork, obviously borrowing a lot from Pole Position artwork.  CPO artwork printed by MameMarquees...it looks great (colours are less pastel-ly in real life).  The Atari wheel badge sticker was printed elsewhere, and I have some spares if anyone wants one for a few quid.

And yes I know the wheel is on the wrong side, for some of you  ;)

lokesen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2013, 12:17:33 pm
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #276 on: January 31, 2008, 07:12:19 am »

Here is my controls, it's a modded x-arcade. New Sanwa joysticks are on it's way. Here is more pics:

http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/

Weecade, Nanocade, Verticade, Project MAME and Taitorama

More to come...

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #277 on: January 31, 2008, 08:16:23 am »
Here's my first fully completed control panel.  Details:

Pole Position wheel hardware wtih Super Sprint wheel - interfaced with Oscar mouse hack,
Hard Drivin' 4-speed shifter + 3 buttons interfaced with IPAC.
Looks pretty slick. Love how you incorporated the steering wheel in the CP. Unfortunately it's on the wrong side  :P

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #278 on: January 31, 2008, 08:20:00 am »
Here is my controls, it's a modded x-arcade. New Sanwa joysticks are on it's way. Here is more pics:

http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/
Nice way to mod that x-arcade panel into something that fits with the rest of the cab. Why didn't you integrate the CP a bit more with the cabinet though?

BTW The sideart looks really cool.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #279 on: January 31, 2008, 08:55:32 am »
Looks pretty slick. Love how you incorporated the steering wheel in the CP.

Thanks! I plan to do a similar thing with a yoke when I get round to it...

It's a shame that pic doesn't show the big silver carriage bolts given a certain other thread. A few pics here might show them:

http://mamewah.mameworld.net/mycabinet.htm

Unfortunately it's on the wrong side  :P

I will pretend I didn't see that....