Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Key Config  (Read 1392 times)

Bill Mote

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2010, 11:04:28 pm
  • Focus on making things better not bigger.
    • Things That Make Me Mad and How To Fix Them
MAME Key Config
« on: October 26, 2006, 07:16:13 pm »
I built a 4-player cab with a trackball.  One of the things that drives me crazy is that a number of keys are re-used.  Why on earth would anyone do that?!  The other thing that I found troublesome was system key combinations.  Things like CTRL-, ATL-, or SHIFT- plus some other key.

So, what I've done is remap all my keys that were reused as well as remove the use of any system/special key.

Players 1 and 2 have 7 buttons each.  Players 3 and 4 have 4 buttons each.  I have 4 admin buttons: exit, menu, select, and pause.  I have coin and start buttons for each player.

What does that leave me with if I don't use system/special keys?  2 keys!  I've attached a PDF of the default mapping, the overlap, and the new mapping.

dot

Bill Mote

• Offline Offline
Re: MAME Key Config
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 07:04:11 am »
I figured it might help if I uploaded a picture of my CP.

dot

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 11:48:50 am
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 06:27:27 pm »
This has nothing to do with your situation, but the carriage bolts for the joysticks are those under any kind of plexi or are they just mounted flush with the control panel.  Just wondering.  Also wondering if you recessed your joysticks any like did you rout out any wood on the underside of the control panel.

Bill Mote

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 10:07:21 pm »
The CP is 3/4" plywood with a Formica finish.  The color pattern is brushed nickel.  There is no plexiglass cover.  The carriage bolt heads sit above the surface.  They're smooth to the touch and I've never noticed them while playing.  I didn't route any part of the underside of the CP.  Everything is flush-mounted with the underside of the plywood.  The only bolts that were close were the Happ trackball mounting bolts.  You could argue that they fit perfectly as there were only a couple of thread visible after installation.  I personally would prefer a couple more turns, but it's *never* been an issue.

dot

Bill Mote

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 12:46:28 pm »
I realised that I didn't remap my player 3 button 3 to anything.  So, it's been remapped to the "]" key.  That leaves just the "[" key available.

I did, however, just realize that in MAME 1.09b (and possibly before) that the keypad codes are supported as separate scancodes.  That does make:

Keypad_

[Insert]
[Delete]
[Enter]
/
-
+

Without using the "special" keys that makes 14 new inputs available.  You'd have to have a LOT of buttons on your CP to use that many!  I have 50 inputs and I have a "regular" key to spare.

dot