Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: some noobie questions  (Read 2570 times)

tist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2014, 03:50:22 pm
some noobie questions
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:32:57 pm »
well i finally have enough funds to start building my cab. i have all the tools available (table saw, router, screwdriver, etc) but i am clueless on wood and the types of bits and what they do. (im 19 and never use the stuff). i keep seeing get 3 sheets of 4x8 mdf. does that mean 4 feet wide by 8 feet long right, how thick should this be. also, recommended are 2x4 for support. 2 feet wide by 4 feet long im guessing, how thick is it? thats it for wood, and now to bits.

i understand the 1/16 slot cutter for t-molding, holesaws, and countersink bit. but what is the difference between pilot point and regular drill bit sets. also, what are flush trim bits and straight cutting bits used for?

keep in mind, the guy helping me build this uses the equipment often but he said he has no router bits or anything and il need to buy those, and obviously the wood. i just dont know what to buy.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:39:33 am
Re: some noobie questions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:49:19 pm »
Here goes...

1.  4x8 means 4 feet by 8 feet - it's the standard size sold at any lumber yard/home depot for a sheet of plywood
2.  The plywood should be 3/4" thick (people use 5/8" or even 1/2" but 3/4" is probably the standard - the most variety of t-molding is 3/4" wide)
3.  a 2x4 is actually only 1-1/2" x 3-1/2"
4.  for your router a flush trim bit is used to cut patterns.  The bit has a ball bearing that rides along the pattern and the bit cuts the workpiece to exactly that size.  Straight cutting bits generally don't have the ball bearing so you need a fence for the router in order to cut a straight line.  When I cut straight lines without the tablesaw I usually cut about 1/8" wide of the line I want with the jigsaw freehand and then use a straightedge and the flush trimming bit to make the exact cut.  Definitely check out http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ for router bits - they have everything and their customer support has always been excellent for me. 

I hope this helps...

tist

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:14:28 am »
so do you need those router bits to make it? im still kind of iffy on what the router is doing. the arcade is mostly squares/straight line cuts, cant my tablesaw/jigsaw do that. when would you need to cut a pattern?

lordtodd75

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2020, 01:42:37 am
  • I especially hate punks!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 09:32:26 am »
You need the router mostly for your control panel(recessing trackball plate, etc.) and to make the slot for your t-molding.

Dudeman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2023, 06:30:25 pm
  • Ecky ecky ecky ecky P'Tang! Zoop-boing mmmzoesm...
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 11:13:43 am »
The router is not an essential tool, but it makes the following MUCH easier:

-Rounding over edges (if you aren't going to use T-molding)
-Cutting T-molding slot (you've got to be talented to cut it with a Dremel tool)
-Cutting 2 pieces the exact same shape (a pattern cutting bit will allow you to cut one side of the cab, lay it on top of a rough cut of the other side and make them identical)
-Trimming laminate (you can do it with a knife, but I wouldn't)
-Recessing joysticks, leaf switch buttons, and trackballs (you could use a chisel, but you'll feel like :banghead:)

Some advice: Search the posts. There are examples of what the tools do in here.

You can learn all you need and SO much more by simple reading some of the posts. Especially the build posts.

tist

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 02:53:39 pm »
ahh gotchya, after a little more researching i found out you can make pretty much identical coppies with "router tracing" i guess u could call it. and obviously you'll need it for the t-molding.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:39:33 am
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 02:50:03 pm »
Right.  The router and pattern bit are ideal for making both sides of the cabinet identical.  Cut one out and then use the router to make an exact copy.