Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Possibly building an arcade "console" PC  (Read 757 times)

Warborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
Possibly building an arcade "console" PC
« on: September 28, 2006, 08:20:57 pm »
Ok, figured I'd post up here to get some suggestions...  I've converted a Showcase in the past and sold it due to it's size, and then fairly recently gathered the parts to build a smaller version.  Due to some changes in circumstances and motivation, I've kinda gravitated in another direction.  What I have currently is a couple of Super sticks, 14 red convex LED lit buttons, 2 white convex LED lit buttons, a translucent betson 3" trackball, a homebrew spinner, a Keywiz Eco, and a P4 2.4Ghz 2/512MB/120GB w/GeForce FX5600, and a 31" tube tv.  So basically everything I need except for the cabinet itself.  Now instead of the cabinet I'm thinking of building a "console" instead of a full-size (think an HTPC with plug-in arcade controllers).  So my real dilemma is how to set up the controllers themselves.  I can use the Keywiz Eco and mount it inside the PC case and come up with some ports to mount in the front, and then whip up a cable with the connector on it and all the leads just hard-wired into the parts in the controllers, problems would of course be probably bulkier cables and large connectors to get enough leads for all the controls (1 Super, 7 buttons, plus start/credit/esc buttons) and also the +12v for the LEDs, and probably not hot-pluggable if I take this route.  Or, could get a couple of GP32 Ecos and put one in each controller to make them hot-swappable and with their own IDs, but then this will put the cost up on what's supposed to be a budget project to begin with and might be a little overkill anyway, plus no way to carry +12v without a separate cable.  Or, I could hack a couple of cheap gamepads, still be hot-swappable with low cost but still no +12v, no independent IDs but prolly won't matter as you can control which ones get hooked up in what order anyway.

Is there an advantage in using a GP32 over just hacking a gamepad in this situation (aside from the work, and the work isn't really an issue)?  Anyone have any additional ideas for interfacing the controls I haven't thought about, and maybe still be able to run +12v to the controllers?

Any input appreciated...

Bluedeath

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 11:20:09 am
Re: Possibly building an arcade "console" PC
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 05:01:33 am »
I built 2 Desktop joystick  with 10 buttons each using psx pads i use "select" for the
so coin and "Start" for ..... (start maybe?)
So suggest a  usb -> PSX adapter for the joysticks (they re available up to 4 ports)  , so you can hack digital psx pads for the joysticks and use PSX wheels. Plus you can use usb bus for trackballs, guns and spinners .

If you use a usb adapter you can hide it in the joystick box or move  the PSX ports in the front of your console that is better option so you can use multiple PSX pads to play with friends plus the PSX port will give to your cabiner a more Console look.

You can even consider the option to thermoform your cabinet.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 05:15:08 am by Bluedeath »
I give up  fighting keyboard dislexia, I lost.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 01:20:36 pm »
Anyone else?

Bluedeath

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 11:20:09 am
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 07:43:35 am »
i forgot that wit some adaptation you can powe up the led s fom the 7.2 (9 actually) volts that feeds the pad from the adapter.
I give up  fighting keyboard dislexia, I lost.