Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: mame32 with s-video card and TV question  (Read 2987 times)

Mike Toms

• Trade Count: (0)
mame32 with s-video card and TV question
« on: March 28, 2002, 07:12:51 pm »
I'm trying to decide between using a TV and a 21" SVGA computer monitor for my mame cabinet and other emulators/games.  I would like to use a 25" TV to get the larger display, but I'm not sure which s-video card would be best.  Also, which 25" TV has a good s-video picture at 800X600.  If anyone has any input on which video card or TV I should get, please let me know.

: Also, I've used ATI tv out cards before, but I heard that matrox twinhead has the best s-video output because it uses a seperate tuner or something and ati and nvideo do not.  Anyone know if this is true?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

aramis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2002, 09:24:04 pm
  • mame cab ALMOST done!
Re: mame32 with s-video card and TV question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2002, 07:46:47 pm »
I suggest doing a search on this topic...you will find plenty of discussion on it. But, since I'm a nice guy, I'll re-cap it all here...  :)

- Not all ATI cards are true ATI..."powered by ATI" means it is NOT a true ATI card, and may have crappy TV-out. A true ATI typically uses a better tv-out chip, and thus has excellent, easy to use TV-out.

- For the most part, the only GeForce cards that have good (full-size, centered) tv-out are the cards with VIVO ability. These use a Philips combo chip, not the typical Conexant or Chrontel chip.

- I've never used a dual-head Matrox's TV-out, so I cannot comment on that. However, everything I have heard is that ATI is the way to go.

- You DEFINITELY want to use S-Video and not Composite...I'm sure you are aware of that.

- To me, a pc monitor does not look arcade-authentic, and I did not want to add system overhead by enabling software scanlines. So, I went with a 25" S-vid TV.

- Another choice is to use a scan converter. Your vid card then does not need to have tv out. However, I personally cannot comment on the quality of the tv picture (as compared to say an ATI) as I have not yet tried one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »