Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can anyone give input on the GP-Wiz?  (Read 5724 times)

Sailing_Nut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2009, 11:27:28 pm
Can anyone give input on the GP-Wiz?
« on: September 07, 2006, 09:07:31 am »
I'm looking to build my first cabinet this winter and I'm trying to gather information.

I've been looking at all of the controler options and the GP-Wiz USB seems to offer everything I need at an attractive price point. Is this true or are there some limitations to using this controler with MAME?

TIA

Lutus

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2012, 10:58:10 am
  • "I love my Power Glove. It's so BAD!"
Re: Can anyone give input on the GP-Wiz?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 01:32:49 pm »
Not sure if you have read this topic already but:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,31677.from1052767869.html

Also, what exactly are planning on doing with it...  how many inputs, what type.. etc...
-----------------------------
www.justin.tv/lutus8
www.encoreinstruction.com <-- for my fellow musicians

Sailing_Nut

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 02:55:37 pm »
Looking at a 2 player panel for MAME. So, 2 joysticks then probably 5 buttons per player + coin, esc and 1 & 2 player start (not completely sure on this one, just that I see button sets for sale with 14 buttons)

I'll eventually be building a cabinet, but will probably do the joys & buttons on a board first to test things out.

_) (V) (-)

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:56:39 am
  • There's supposed to be an earth shattering KaBoom!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 03:52:42 pm »
I am using one for my setup, it sounds very similar to yours actually, it is working just fine so far. I haven't really had a chance to do much but some inital testing and let the kids bang on it for a while. 

I had an issue at first but it turned out the problem was windows fault and not the GP-Wiz. It's actually got more inputs than I needed so I guess there is 'room to grow' yet.

What else can I tell you? Oh, I know, spend the extra $2 and get the IDE header, you'll be very glad you did!

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 04:13:49 pm »
I believe MarkRVP has used them and had some comments about them.

In general, I prefer keyboard emulators for MAME, although MAME can handle gamepad input, and only the GP encoders are USB from GroovyGameGear.

The bigger issue is with non-MAME programs.  There are a few programs which can use gamepad inputs but not keyboard inputs.  And a few that only use keyboard inputs and not gamepad.  You can get around the second group with a GP-Wiz and RBJoy or Joytokey, but you can't get around the first group with a keyboard encoder.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 09:11:49 pm »
Although I haven't tried this product personnally this review sounds outstanding. It's something to consider anyway.

http://retroblast.com/reviews/ThrustVectorEncoder-06152006-01.html

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 04:36:01 pm »
I've got one and I really like it.  One added bonus is that it doesn't use any Windows "hot keys" so it is very unlikely that someone can accidentally exit out of the game and/or MAME.

Sailing_Nut

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 04:44:04 pm »
I actually bought one but have not yet started building my control panel.

I'm wondering if you are using it to control 1 or 2 joysticks. When I made the purchase I didn't realize that it only has support for one stick. Right now I'm contemplating buying another one or cheaping out and using Joy2key to add support for the 2nd stick by using button inputs.

Any advice?

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 04:48:27 pm »
MAME Only - or not?

If MAME only - MAME will recognize 32 Gamepad inputs (I think?) so just redefine the Player 2 keys in MAME.

For other games, many of them will only recognize 16 buttons.

Costs you nothing to download JoytoKey and test it out, and buy a second GPWiz if you don't like how that works out.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.

Sailing_Nut

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 04:53:37 pm »
Looking at MAME only so I'll probably use joytokey. I just have to do a bit of math to see if I have enough inputs.

Is there any consideration for 8 way use? i.e. having the 2 "keys" pressed at the same time? I'm thinking about a possible limitation in joytokey. I'm guessing that this is handled with no problem but it's good to have all of your facts straignt before diving into things. (Unlike how I usually operate!  ;D)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:26:30 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 08:40:16 pm »

You don't need JoytoKey just to have a second joystick.  The joystick inputs are digital anyway, so there is no difference to MAME, or a lot of other software, in just picking 4 buttons to act as Up, Down, Left and Right for the second joystick.

JoyToKey just complicates things if you don't really need it.

Here's a tip. 

Joy1 = Up, Down Left and Right
P1 buttons 1-6  = Buttons 1 through 6
Joy2 = Buttons 7 through 10
P2 buttons 1-6  = Buttons 11 through 16

The higher buttons can be set aside for admin type controls and used with JoyToKey or RBJoy for any software where it might be necessary (not too many).

MAME can use all of them as they are anyway, but this will give you the most compatible setup for the GP-Wiz.   You are, however, welcome to buy another if you really want to  ;)

RandyT

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 07:58:47 am »
As RandyT said - for a MAME only application, you don't need JoyToKey and overcomplicate things by trying to use it.  Just re-map MAME to use the gamepad inputs.  You also likely don't need a second interface, unless 32 inputs aren't enough (and for MAME only, they almost certainly are).